BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Ohlins Road&track Review!!:))

OHLINS R&T REVIEW _______________WARNING LONG POST!
After deciding on a super charger kit It was clear to me that I needed to address a few key areas of the m3 to complete the package so to speak. After reading review of different vendor’s offerings I decided to go with a kw sleeve over kit. While the drop was fantastic the ride was not what I was looking for. Without getting into that too much you can read my review of that set up here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841031.

Some close friends advised me that what I was looking for just did not exist. The criteria was clear, stock like comfort with high speed cornering stability and a set up that would help keep the wheels on the ground with the power I’m making.

My search led me to the Ohlins road and track kit. I had read rumors that a kit was in the works but with the e9X platform ending production, the chances of a kit being released in my eyes was slim. I was wrong and shortly after stumbling on Harlod from HP autowerks post about the R&T kit I knew I had to have it. Harold for those of you that don’t know him is extremely patient. After making the wrong decision the first time I had about 100+ questions and he answer every one.

I placed my order on April 24th and it was received May 29th. From what I can gather they’re hard to keep in stock due to high demand.

Now there was the question of installation. Running your own business as I’m sure many of you know makes taking vacations difficult and requires a lot of planning... My gf had wanted to take a trip to NYC since early march and I’ve been putting it off. Well as the expression two birds with one stone goes this was an ideal opportunity. I knew I would have to devote two full days to shopping to convince her and leave the suspension install for the last day of the trip. When looking for a shop in New Jersey I came across North East Motorsport in Mahwah NJ. I had booked an appointment the week prior with John the shop’s owner. He assured me they complete suspension installs regularly and that they would also be able to corner balance the car.

My appointment was for 8am but thanks to traffic I arrived closer to 9am. John was understanding and immediately drove my car in and began the install. Driving into the parking lot I knew I had made a great decision as to my shop choice. The parking consisted of 5 race cars and a few street bmw’s. I had mentioned to John that I wanted the car to be setup in accordance with Ohlins recommendations. The ride height offers a wide range of adjustment to suit most needs. The suspension itself is a work of art, so much that I felt guilty installing it.

Install took a little over 3 hours and then it was off to corner balancing. They use the latest hunter force equipment to align and corner weight the car. I requested front camber to be 1.7 and rear 1.9 to stay within bmw factory spec. I’m not planning more than one track event this year so this seems to be the best setup for primarily street use. Ohlins give you 20 setting for dampening. 15-20 clicks for street use, 8-15 for sporty driving and 0-7 for race. I decided to set them at 9 clicks hoping for a balanced between sport and comfort.

Now for the review: Wow! After a short test drive I knew this was the exact setup I was looking for and complimented the direction I took with the entire build. Bumps are soaked up without upsetting the chassis and the car feels composed. There is no suspension noise or rattles to speak of. The car drives like its on rails and gives you confidence getting into corners at speed. No increase to NVH! If anyone is planning a suspension upgrade you should defiantly place Ohlins at the top of your list.

The drop came out exactly as I wanted and I maintained a good amount of clearance. I have close to 1000kms on the car since install and I’ve enjoyed every one of them! Off the line tracking has also improved significantly, were I had trouble with traction in 3rd I’m now able to gain in second. The suspension does an amazing job of keeping the tires on the ground.

Needless to say I’m satisfied with my purchase and with the excellent service provided by Harold from HP and John from NE

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

I've had work done at NE Motorsports a few times and they are a great shop. Enjoy the new setup.
      06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankThomas View Post
I've had work done at NE Motorsports a few times and they are a great shop. Enjoy the new setup.
Yes a really nice group of guys!

Thanks
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
skiborsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue E90 M3

Great review (though in the wrong forum ). Are you running camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiborsy View Post
Great review (though in the wrong forum ). Are you running camber plates?
Oopps meant to place it in suspension/brakes....

I'm sure it will be moved!

No not running camber plates, stock bmw top plates.

From what i'm told they have quite a bit of adjustability.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

nice review! been thinking about switching over from kw sleeve to Ohlins R&T coilovers also.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I said in your last thread that you'd like them! They definitely live up to the "Road and Track" name. You can drive them every day, take it out to the track and they will perform great in both. Sucks up bumps like no other and gives you great confidence on uneven surfaces.

Alas, I drive a lot more than the OP so the KW V3 fits me better because it doesn't require as frequent servicing. Not as smooth but still very good.
      06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
nice review! been thinking about switching over from kw sleeve to Ohlins R&T coilovers also.
Thanks! You really wont regret it.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I said in your last thread that you'd like them! They definitely live up to the "Road and Track" name. You can drive them every day, take it out to the track and they will perform great in both. Sucks up bumps like no other and gives you great confidence on uneven surfaces.

Alas, I drive a lot more than the OP so the KW V3 fits me better because it doesn't require as frequent servicing. Not as smooth but still very good.
You were right, they're awesome!

I was concerned with the servicing requirements as well but I think 30000kms is a preventative recommendation from Ohlins.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
You were right, they're awesome!

I was concerned with the servicing requirements as well but I think 30000kms is a preventative recommendation from Ohlins.

What's require for the servicing requirements for these? and how much?
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

So these dont require camber plates?

Great review thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Excellent review!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
What's require for the servicing requirements for these? and how much?
Servicing shocks usually means rebuilding them. They'll replace the seals, shock oil and other wear and tear items. I don't know the costs associated with that but you need to take the suspension out and send the shocks out for a rebuild.
      06-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
So these dont require camber plates?

Great review thank you very much!
Camber plates are optional on these.

R&T was designed around the stock upper mounts. At about 1" of lowering the default camber would be around -1.75, which is great for street and some light track duty.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Install took a little over 3 hours and then it was off to corner balancing. They use the latest hunter force equipment to align and corner weight the car. I requested front camber to be 1.7 and rear 1.9 to stay within bmw factory spec. I’m not planning more than one track event this year so this seems to be the best setup for primarily street use. Ohlins give you 20 setting for dampening. 15-20 clicks for street use, 8-15 for sporty driving and 0-7 for race. I decided to set them at 9 clicks hoping for a balanced between sport and comfort.

Now for the review: Wow! After a short test drive I knew this was the exact setup I was looking for and complimented the direction I took with the entire build. Bumps are soaked up without upsetting the chassis and the car feels composed.
Sorry for "waking up" this old thread. Excellent review. I am debating between KW V3 and Ohlins; currently leaning towards Ohlins.

1. What ride height did you decide? Same as stock?

2. Any more advice or comments after 6 years? Camber -1.7 front -1.9 rear still good? 9 clicks for a compromise still good?

3. Any comment and things to look out for on installation? If I go ahead, it would be Auto Talent in Southern Cal.

I live in a mountainous area so very conscious of cornering behavior of my cars, and the body roll of the E90 M3 is really bothersome, especially compared to my Bilstein modified Turbo. Any other Ohlins owners please chime in as needed. TIA
2011.75 BMW M3 - DCT with Ohlins Coilover - Ohlins Settings & Impression Here

Last edited by cannga; 10-01-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Excellent shocks, I love mine. But out of the box they do not work at the track unfortunately.

The front springs are far too soft. Around 340lbs if I believe correctly. You'll be rubbing through your fender liners in no time.

I went to 600 front / 800 rear and the stock valving is right at it's limit but they work fine at full stiff on track.

But, much more NVH of course. Can't win!
      10-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Love my Ohlins RT! My car is 90% daily and 10% track/spirited driving and the Ohlins is probably the best suspension for it. As mentioned above, if your car is primarily track, you may find the Ohlins stock springs way too soft.

I went with recommended height and its near identical height to my original ZCP springs. It also allows me to clear 98% of bumps/ramps without issues while not looking like it's too tall.

For daily I use about -1 deg camber. For track you want to get as much -ve camber as you can get.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Excellent shocks, I love mine. But out of the box they do not work at the track unfortunately.

The front springs are far too soft. Around 340lbs if I believe correctly. You'll be rubbing through your fender liners in no time.

I went to 600 front / 800 rear and the stock valving is right at it's limit but they work fine at full stiff on track.

But, much more NVH of course. Can't win!
Thanks. Canyon/mountain roads only for me, no track. In my own experience with my 2 cars, electronic damper has this tendency to be very soft at one end with way too much body roll (comfort setting), and then completely stiff/jittery at the other (sport setting). Both my Turbo and this M3 exhibit the same bothersome behavior. In the Turbo I solved the problem with Bilstein and stiffer springs, hope for the same with Ohlins for the M3.

Reading through this forum, I've noticed not too many owners use after-market anti-roll bar (such as the H&R bars), which is very commonly used among P. enthusiasts. Wonder why? It could be a valuable tool for suspension tuning.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #19
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I have H&R ARB and love them.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #20
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Love my Ohlins RT! My car is 90% daily and 10% track/spirited driving and the Ohlins is probably the best suspension for it. As mentioned above, if your car is primarily track, you may find the Ohlins stock springs way too soft.

I went with recommended height and its near identical height to my original ZCP springs. It also allows me to clear 98% of bumps/ramps without issues while not looking like it's too tall.

For daily I use about -1 deg camber. For track you want to get as much -ve camber as you can get.
Thank you for your input. Could you please do a quick measurements of your ride height with Ohlins for me? I too would like to maintain stock height and just want some data so I could be accurate while talking to the people at Auto Talent.

From the sticky posts, someone has measurements of stock 19" M3 comp package from bottom of RIM to mid fender, 19 inch wheel:
Front 62 cm Rear 61 cm

In comparison, my own car (stock 19 wheel, competition package, bottom of rim to mid fender) is
Front 61 cm, Rear 60 cm
(Measurements from the ground to mid fender is 66.5 front and 66.5 rear.)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

You can set whatever height you like, I run about 22mm lower than non-ZCP suspension which is 12mm than ZCP.

People criticise the springs for being 'soft' - they are more than double the stock rates. Dialled back to 15 clicks they are fantastically comfortable on the street, they handle rebound light years better than stock. They take bumps in one suspension stroke and the car feels significantly more tied down. You can instantly feels it a significantly more sophisticated damper compared to stock EDC.

They are on the softer side for track use, there really is no hiding the e9x is a heavy car. However 'stiffer' doesn't necessarily equate to more grip. I run 2 clicks from full stiff on the track, they handle weight transition light years ahead of stock EDC and with camber plates and moboballs turn in is crisp and responsive.

They are not a dedicated track suspension but for dual duty they are fantastic. Renaultsport have been using the R&T damper on hot Megane's for years, its a very accomplished bit of kit. The latest Megane RS Trophy-R just set the FWD Nurburgring record..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
They are on the softer side for track use, there really is no hiding the e9x is a heavy car. However 'stiffer' doesn't necessarily equate to more grip.
Yes but when your tires rub through your front fender liners and take paint off the actual body of the car, you know the springs are too soft. I don't think Ohlins did much testing with these spring rates. And my car is by no means "slammed".

They're excellent shocks, I just don't think they should have the word "track" in their name. They're definitely meant for street comfort and not track use out of the box.

I suppose this is why with the F80 and newer version you are allowed to choose spring rates.