BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

BPM

05-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
mvolps22
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 AW/FR 6MT

Track days near Cincinnati

I'm located in Cincinnati and would like to take my car to a track day but I'm not really sure where to start. What is the most economical way to see if it is something I would enjoy? I think the closest tracks are putnam park and mid-Ohio. Cincy SCCA is hosting a PDX at mid-ohio on August 4th and I was going to sign up for that but found out I'll be out of town that weekend. The PDX is $230. Would I want to get track brake pads for my first track day? Is a PDX a good "test," it sounds like it could be a pretty slow paced learning environment and I want to make sure I'm able to wring my car out a little bit.

Is there a difference between HPDE and a PDX?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

The BMW car club has several events throughout the year. Several years ago (back when I had an E36 M3) I went to both Putnam & Mid Ohio. BPutnam Park is good for an early experience. It is in the middle of a corn field with only the turn into the main straight with any concrete.

You may also want to check with Forgeline up in Dayton to see if they still sponsor a HPDE. I also think there is a road track near Louisville (forget the name).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Auto Interests is a good club that puts on an entry level track event that lets you dip your toe into the water. They run at Mid Ohio.

Putnam is where I popped my cherry many years ago, fun little track with lots of run off area. Look at 10/10ths Motorsports, they run a great event with instruction for beginners.

Good luck and get out and do it!