BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

So I just installed Dinan strut tower bars, and about to install Dinan springs, and monoball kit up front.

Since I'm stiffening up the front with all that, should I be concerned with stiffening up the rear as well?

Do I need a rear row links or stiffer rear sway bar to compliment the front upgrades??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I read that even many people who track their M's only stiffen up the front, and not so much the rear??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:42 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Mono balls in the front tension arms tighten up the steering under heavy braking. They're great but I wouldn't describe it as stiffened. If you haven't already gone dinan consider GAS. The springs should help provide heavier rates and reduce some movement. Thought the strut bars were mostly cosmetic.

Based in these changes, I wouldn't say anything is needed on the rear as you haven't really altered much.

Spend the $$$ on tires, pads, and seat time.
      12-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Their parts are designed to be used individually or as a package. But choosing some does not require you to add more, like rear toe links.
Dinan does not make a rear sway bar (and the strut bars are cosmetic). And monoballs are replacing a bushing, not shifting relative stiffness F/R or anything like that.
Fwiw my ZCP car has the Dinan plates, bar, and monoballs, but nothing in the rear (yet). It drives with wonderful balance and poise, should have left the factory like this.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2020, 03:35 AM   #5
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

If you're going to do anything in the rear, then get solid subframe bushes done. Transforms the feeling and control of the rear.

Be warned though, it's quite a serious mod. Count on about 8-10 hours of labour to get this done by an experienced shop.

There are no drawbacks other than the cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Their parts are designed to be used individually or as a package. But choosing some does not require you to add more, like rear toe links.
Dinan does not make a rear sway bar (and the strut bars are cosmetic). And monoballs are replacing a bushing, not shifting relative stiffness F/R or anything like that.
Fwiw my ZCP car has the Dinan plates, bar, and monoballs, but nothing in the rear (yet). It drives with wonderful balance and poise, should have left the factory like this.
Agree. My e92 is mostly a street car so I kept stock zcp suspension but did camber plates (-2.5 in front) and monoballs just so in the event that felt like brining to the track, it could actually turn. I tend to threshold break and sometimes need to trail brake to rotate and nothing more frustrating that when the car doesnt turn.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
wyatth3548.50
      12-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Agree. My e92 is mostly a street car so I kept stock zcp suspension but did camber plates (-2.5 in front) and monoballs just so in the event that felt like brining to the track, it could actually turn. I tend to threshold break and sometimes need to trail brake to rotate and nothing more frustrating that when the car doesnt turn.
A subtle flex :
      12-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
A subtle flex :
Like u said earlier it tightens steering on heavy braking. I paired it with StopTech 380/365 and so the monoball with more neg camber suits a certain style of driving whether it be someone really good or a noob like me that likes to slam the brakes on the 1 marker to scare the sh1t outta drivers in front of me.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      12-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A subtle flex :
Like u said earlier it tightens steering on heavy braking. I paired it with StopTech 380/365 and so the monoball with more neg camber suits a certain style of driving whether it be someone really good or a noob like me that likes to slam the brakes on the 1 marker to scare the sh1t outta drivers in front of me.
I was just kidding about the threshold, trail. I'm right there with you man!
      12-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A subtle flex :
I was just kidding about the threshold, trail. I'm right there with you man!
Ha I think OP should be good on his mods without doing anything in the rear. It wiggles a little but sometimes u got to wiggle it, just a little bit.
a couple others
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
      12-20-2020, 02:11 AM   #11
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'm also thinking of what to do on the rear as well.

I have 103,000 miles on it so I've been looking at a suspension refresh for street and track.

I already have camber plates, Bilstein coil overs, and front and rear stop techs trophy's. I also have the solid subframe bushings in the back and stiffer polyurethane diff mounts.

I just got the GAS monoballs for the front. I figure at 103k the rear is gonna need a refresh.

So I was thinking SPL adjustable toe links, then get the upgraded bimmerworld bushings for the trailing arm and spring carrier. Or is that too much or too little?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

I have 103,000 miles on it so I've been looking at a suspension refresh for street and track.

I already have camber plates, Bilstein coil overs, and front and rear stop techs trophy's. I also have the solid subframe bushings in the back and stiffer polyurethane diff mounts.

I just got the GAS monoballs for the front. I figure at 103k the rear is gonna need a refresh.

So I was thinking SPL adjustable toe links, then get the upgraded bimmerworld bushings for the trailing arm and spring carrier. Or is that too much or too little?
From my understanding, stock BMW rear toe links don't have any rubber bushings--they're already comprised of ball-joints. If you're planning on upgrading them for the sole purpose of refreshing your rear suspension, it wouldn't be worth it. If you're upgrading to adjustable toe links for ease of adjustment, so you can run them in conjunction with a lockout kit that will help keep your toe adjustment in place, etc., then I would be able to justify spending the money on adjustable rear toe links.

You already have Poly diff bushings, so I'd assume your tolerance for NVH is already higher than your typical forum member with a 100% stock M3...

From the research I've done, the general consensus for a street/track M3 rear suspension refresh is to do the bimmerworld camber arm bushing kit, in addition to replacing your worn out rubber bushings with spherical (OE BMW) bushings in the rear trailing arms, rear wishbones, and rear guide rods. It's also advised you purchase new rear trailing arms, new rear wishbones, and new rear guide rods to press these spherical bushings into if you have higher miles.

Additional info can be found here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781245
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
From the research I've done, the general consensus for a street/track M3 rear suspension refresh is to do the bimmerworld camber arm bushing kit, in addition to replacing your worn out rubber bushings with spherical (OE BMW) bushings in the rear trailing arms, rear wishbones, and rear guide rods. It's also advised you purchase new rear trailing arms, new rear wishbones, and new rear guide rods to press these spherical bushings into if you have higher miles.

Additional info can be found here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781245
Rear trailing arm bushings are pressed into the hub and subframe. So there's no need to replace the trailing arm itself unless it's damaged.
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      12-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

From my understanding, stock BMW rear toe links don't have any rubber bushings--they're already comprised of ball-joints. If you're planning on upgrading them for the sole purpose of refreshing your rear suspension, it wouldn't be worth it. If you're upgrading to adjustable toe links for ease of adjustment, so you can run them in conjunction with a lockout kit that will help keep your toe adjustment in place, etc., then I would be able to justify spending the money on adjustable rear toe links.

You already have Poly diff bushings, so I'd assume your tolerance for NVH is already higher than your typical forum member with a 100% stock M3...

Thanks... exactly what i was looking for
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      12-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:

Rear trailing arm bushings are pressed into the hub and subframe. So there's no need to replace the trailing arm itself unless it's damaged.
Should have said *reinforced* trailing arms from MK Rennsport, Future Classic, etc. Unnecessary though. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #16
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I know you recommend not going full SPL arms in the rear suspension however I was thinking about that route as a back up since the custom washers may not be available for awhile. (I already ordered all the parts minus the custom washers)

However if I went full SPL arms... how much louder will that be vs just doing the suggested spherical bearing upgrade?

Since I have a good amount of miles on the car I need to replace the camber and guide links... if I just have the shop install new oem replacement camber and guide arms... would I need to realign again after upgrading those to spherical bearings down the line?

Maybe I’m just overthinking this and me being number 2 on the waitlist means I’ll be getting the washers soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #17
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
I know you recommend not going full SPL arms in the rear suspension however I was thinking about that route as a back up since the custom washers may not be available for awhile. (I already ordered all the parts minus the custom washers)

However if I went full SPL arms... how much louder will that be vs just doing the suggested spherical bearing upgrade?

Since I have a good amount of miles on the car I need to replace the camber and guide links... if I just have the shop install new oem replacement camber and guide arms... would I need to realign again after upgrading those to spherical bearings down the line?

Maybe I’m just overthinking this and me being number 2 on the waitlist means I’ll be getting the washers soon...
Curious about these questions too, if anyone knows
      03-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #18
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
Quote:

Maybe I'm just overthinking this and me being number 2 on the waitlist means I'll be getting the washers soon...
Curious about these questions too, if anyone knows
On the rears I have the washers and solid bearings installed, along with the BW camber bushing/sleeve, and SPL toe link, sway end links. I don't hear anything but my car already has plenty of NVH.

I wouldn't think these are worthwhile upgrades outside of tracking the car on sticky tires. The OEM bushing are stout and the deflection is probably minimal until you increase power, suspension, grip.

SPL and the like's, advantage over the bearing refresh is adjustability. Just note your alignment costs are subject to go up. Some shops charge more given all the adjustable components as complexity.

After replacing the arms, bushings, etc. yes it's wise to realign.
      03-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #19
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
On the rears I have the washers and solid bearings installed, along with the BW camber bushing/sleeve, and SPL toe link, sway end links. I don't hear anything but my car already has plenty of NVH.

I wouldn't think these are worthwhile upgrades outside of tracking the car on sticky tires. The OEM bushing are stout and the deflection is probably minimal until you increase power, suspension, grip.

SPL and the like's, advantage over the bearing refresh is adjustability. Just note your alignment costs are subject to go up. Some shops charge more given all the adjustable components as complexity.

After replacing the arms, bushings, etc. yes it's wise to realign.
Makes sense, thank you. I will do washers and bearings for the arms and get adjustable toe links with lockout. Should be a good set up