BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Vanos Solenoid Valve

Hi all,

Just an informational for everyone.

Was heading back from the Sunshine Coast this morning when the engine check light came on. The car sounded and drove normally, and iDrive showed no faults, so headed gingerly to the nearest dealership (Coastline BMW) to get them to diagnose.

Diagnostics advised oil pressure OK, and cylinder bank 2 intake "sticking at maximum spread". Exhaust OK (bank 1 OK on intake and exhaust). Recommendation is to replace VANOS solenoid valve of corresponding camshaft. If fault not rectified, then next advice is to replace corresponding VANOS non-return valve.

Fault code is 00271C DME: VANOS control, intake bank 2

Coastline BMW charged me $177 for the privilege of the diagnosis, and advised that if the solenoid valve replacement didn't stop the fault code ($722 including part and labour), then a full VANOS replacement was required ($4200).

Me: Is the car safe to drive?
CLBMW: Yes.
Me: I'll take a copy of all that paperwork you've got there and take it to my mechanic in Brisbane. See you later.

I'll keep you posted.

H
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMisfit View Post
Hi all,

Was heading back from the Sunshine Coast this morning when the engine check light came on. The car sounded and drove normally, and iDrive showed no faults, so headed gingerly to the nearest dealership (Coastline BMW) to get them to diagnose.

Diagnostics advised oil pressure OK, and cylinder bank 2 intake "sticking at maximum spread". Exhaust OK (bank 1 OK on intake and exhaust). Recommendation is to replace VANOS solenoid valve of corresponding camshaft. If fault not rectified, then next advice is to replace corresponding VANOS non-return valve.

Coastline BMW charged me $177 for the privilege of the diagnosis, and advised that if the solenoid valve replacement didn't stop the fault code ($722 including part and labour), then a full VANOS replacement was required ($4200).

Me: I'll take a copy of all that paperwork you've got there and take it to my mechanic in Brisbane. See you later.

I'll keep you posted.

H
I had to change my vanos on my E46 some years ago. I bought it out of the UK from www.bmminiparts.com who sell genuine parts. The price was about half of the Australian price. Get your part number and price it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

I'll keep you posted.

H
Can you wait til Mike gets back? The diag was a total ripoff!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
Quote:
Hi all,

I'll keep you posted.

H
I had to change my vanos on my E46 some years ago. I bought it out of the UK from www.bmminiparts.com who sell genuine parts. The price was about half of the Australian price. Get your part number and price it up.
With you there. Have used them before and found their pricing was competitive. Have already sent them a quote request.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Another thing you may be able to do is swap the solenoids over, and see if the fault changes bank.

Was it warm up there today? I had a few vanos faults on really hot days, i ended up swapping them eventually on my 335i after 80k kays and it made a big difference in driveability at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Can you wait til Mike gets back? The diag was a total ripoff!
Yeah, it can wait until Mike's back. No rush.

Rip off is right. I have never been charged for a diagnosis before anywhere else, but I was happy I could get the car in somewhere to have it checked out. Merry Christmas from Coastline BMW, I guess...

Driving 120kms home watching a check light isn't a lot of fun though.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Another thing you may be able to do is swap the solenoids over, and see if the fault changes bank.

Was it warm up there today? I had a few vanos faults on really hot days, i ended up swapping them eventually on my 335i after 80k kays and it made a big difference in driveability at low speeds.
Yeah, that's a point. I also had the thought that maybe just the electrical connector could be dodgy? Will find out more when I get the car in to our local "doctor" here.

Wasn't too hot (in the low 30's), and I've seen hotter day's on the track. All other temps were normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that's a point. I also had the thought that maybe just the electrical connector could be dodgy? Will find out more when I get the car in to our local "doctor" here.

Wasn't too hot (in the low 30's), and I've seen hotter day's on the track. All other temps were normal.
A bit of useful info from a BMW service advisor,if you get a yellow CEL, get it checked when you can, if it turns to a red CEL it's quite urgent.

There are a few kits out thee to check and clear problems, when you get a tune you will be supplied with an OBD2 cable and software so you can check and clear faults. A tune has a lot of knock on advantages
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Charges for diagnosis are the norm and really should be expected. They need to pay for their overheads.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
Charges for diagnosis are the norm and really should be expected. They need to pay for their overheads.
They have every right to charge but not an outrage amount like that. In Perth, most often depending on the diagnostic and how busy they are, I don't get charged. This is the case of abusing the customer's urgency given his situation.
      12-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The price of a litre of oil at $40.00 per litre as opposed to $13.00 per litre from Castrol is a good yardstick of how to overcharge. You have to assume this sort of margin applies across the range of parts and services
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
A bit of useful info from a BMW service advisor,if you get a yellow CEL, get it checked when you can, if it turns to a red CEL it's quite urgent.

There are a few kits out thee to check and clear problems, when you get a tune you will be supplied with an OBD2 cable and software so you can check and clear faults. A tune has a lot of knock on advantages
I hear ya. I'm definitely doing that BPM tune and code in the new year.

Been doing some research today (a US$30 24 hour subscription to bmwtis.com is gold), and have installed all the BMW software on to a virtual machine. Just need a proper (wired) OBD cable, like the one you mentioned Mike B sends. My wireless one (Kiwi WiFi) ain't any good with the BMW ISTA software.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hear ya. I'm definitely doing that BPM tune and code in the new year.

Been doing some research today (a US$30 24 hour subscription to bmwtis.com is gold), and have installed all the BMW software on to a virtual machine. Just need a proper (wired) OBD cable, like the one you mentioned Mike B sends. My wireless one (Kiwi WiFi) ain't any good with the BMW ISTA software.
I have a cable already which you are welcome to use. The cable for the tune is different, it's VIN locked and you get the tuning/diagnistic software with the cable I can also supply tunes too if you want me to get you a cost, same thing from a different supplier in USA
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
///Msports180
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 C63

Can you use an ordinary scan gauge seeing its OBDII?

http://scangauge.com.au/

I use one in my Patrol, useful for getting and clearing codes to.
      12-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Msports180;15183015]Can you use an ordinary scan gauge seeing its OBDII?

Iv'e tried a couple of scan gauges and they don't pick up many codes, too hit and miss
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #16
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Replacement solenoid and non-return valve ordered and shipped from bmminiparts.com.

A bit of time to kill today, so I plug in my OBD2 connector and read the codes using an iPad with the DashCommand app. My connector isn't all singing and dancing like BMW ICOM, but it read off all the same codes that Coastline reckoned were there. All good so far, but I notice the yellow CEL is now gone.

It's a hot day today (41 C), so I let the car idle to see if the CEL comes on. After about three minutes, still no CEL. Ok, I might as well clear the fault codes and see if they come back? Do that, and guess what: no fault codes.

Now, Coastline BMW reckon they reset the codes, and the faults and yellow CEL returned after a road test. So, at his point, I'm starting to think they were telling porky pies.

Next thought is to go for a drive and see if I can get a CEL and the codes. Off I go, and I get one code returned, but still no CEL.

I'll test some more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

How much were the parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #18
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How much were the parts?
AUD$188 delivered.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
Phantom Snail
Rep
Drives: shopping trolley

Ludicrous ~ stealerships for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Snail View Post
Ludicrous ~ stealerships for sure
Do you have a E92 now dude?

I remember you from years ago having the R34 GTR, E46 M3 vert, Lexus with 2JZ etc etc
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
Phantom Snail
Rep
Drives: shopping trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Do you have a E92 now dude?

I remember you from years ago having the R34 GTR, E46 M3 vert, Lexus with 2JZ etc etc
haha hey bud
indeed i do, just a little fun toy for me
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #22
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I just test pipes fitted through the dealer and the stealers charged for $400 for two hours' labour. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the invoice. Auto Classis in Perth for you