BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #353
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerezblack.m3 View Post
Can you send us some acp resolution? I have a ccc and still deciding if i should get it or not.
Sure thing. Carplay photos on the CCC attached. It's actually more legible than AA because there is far less content displayed at once compared to AA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #354
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornM View Post
Sound good, received my unit this morning too. Thanks for the tip on the USB too

How are you finding the performance with the provided mic?
Hi UnicornM sorry it took forever to get back to you. The provided Mic works great. I kind of backed out from the splitter after reading all the negative comments here. I still got the cable (Thanks Rob!), but I won't be installing it anytime soon. As I mentioned, I managed to hide the provided mic behind the steering wheel so it is entirely out of my sight and it doesn't bother me at all. It may not be the cleanest install ever, but it didn't require pulling apart the pillar A trim, sun visors, etc.
Appreciate 1
UnicornM382.50
      11-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #355
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Sure thing. Carplay photos on the CCC attached. It's actually more legible than AA because there is far less content displayed at once compared to AA.
Not that bad. Thanks! Might just have to pull the trigger

I’ll probably wait until all the bass bugs get fixed
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #356
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Guys,

Can I confirm that everyone that has installed the P2000 on a CIC has the phone button working on the steering wheel to answer and hang up?

I was also told to try and use track next/prev to answer but neither work.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #357
TheWoj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
The difference in video quality is noticeable between CVBS and AHD. It's a bit more crisp looking but nothing huge. I'd say the night vision is noticeably better. I'm happy with the better resolution. I'm still getting used to the fisheye lens though.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the cam ground happens through the video composite cable, the yellow one, outer ring. It's a shared ground I think. If anyone is more electrically savvy please correct me

Those two cam setting are very poorly written, I have no idea what the difference is.

I also wonder if maybe this was causing audio interference issues with the mic splitter?

If anyone has tried the mic splitter without a camera connected, please let us know if you still had audio issues!

I cut the white loop to change from CVBS to AHD and, as you said, there was a small improvement in quality.

But by far the largest improvement was from disconnecting the ground to the negative terminal of the battery! The image is now completely stable, no flickering or artefacts at all! Thanks for the tip

So if anyone is having any issues with picture quality with the rear view camera - and you've connected a ground - just disconnect the ground! You'll be amazed at the difference
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #358
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa2000 View Post
Guys,

Can I confirm that everyone that has installed the P2000 on a CIC has the phone button working on the steering wheel to answer and hang up?

I was also told to try and use track next/prev to answer but neither work.

Cheers
You asked CIC, but the software appears the same for CCC as far as I can tell. I can confirm that no steering wheel inputs will hang up a call through the p2000 on my CCC.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #359
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Quote:
You asked CIC, but the software appears the same for CCC as far as I can tell. I can confirm that no steering wheel inputs will hang up a call through the p2000 on my CCC.
Thanks for confirming as they should be the same as its all via the CAN-Bus.

I am assuming you cant answer either.

Not a big issue as the idrive can be used to answer and hang up. Would of been nice to use Siri to answer but that appears to not work via the Carplay system. Will check this on a non-P2000 over the weekend.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #360
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa2000 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for confirming as they should be the same as its all via the CAN-Bus.

I am assuming you cant answer either.

Not a big issue as the idrive can be used to answer and hang up. Would of been nice to use Siri to answer but that appears to not work via the Carplay system. Will check this on a non-P2000 over the weekend.

Cheers
The call answer/hang up button worked on my quadlock based Andream.

Skip forward/back on the head unit did not.

Now I have the inverse behaviour with the P2000.

I feel like it's an easy problem to code in a future update but I have no idea when it comes to the canbus/call button logic. It may not be possible by simply tapping into the idrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #361
Sedicivalvole
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is excellent news!!!

I’ve been wanting CarPlay in my e92 M3 since it was announced and I’ve been watching all of these add on boxes. Just waiting for someone to make a box that uses MOST! I have Individual Audio so sound quality is very important to me. I was starting to think it wouldn’t happen.

Thank you to all that have been posting! Order for the new unit placed!

Hopefully a firmware update will bring the phone button compatibility and resolve the microphone / bass issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #362
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post
Hi UnicornM sorry it took forever to get back to you. The provided Mic works great. I kind of backed out from the splitter after reading all the negative comments here. I still got the cable (Thanks Rob!), but I won't be installing it anytime soon. As I mentioned, I managed to hide the provided mic behind the steering wheel so it is entirely out of my sight and it doesn't bother me at all. It may not be the cleanest install ever, but it didn't require pulling apart the pillar A trim, sun visors, etc.
So, someone has the mic.....but not me...

Repeated emails unanswered, I have run out of patience.

It might "only" be $35, but there is a principle here.
      11-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #363
Sedicivalvole
Rep

Although it’s only half the issue - It seems consensus on the splitter is not to use it?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #364
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

At this moment in time, I would say no. Seems like nobody has actually gotten the splitter method to work. May be fixed later, but we'll see.

Its been 2 months since the last firmware update, so hopefully the next firmware update has some of the fixes we have all been after.

Bass issue is unquestionably the biggest problem right now, it just cripples the audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #365
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
it just cripples the audio.
In no way does it cripple the audio in my opinion. Yes it may be lacking a bit of bass but the bass that is there is clean and it still sounds 1000x better than my other car with Andream using AUX.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #366
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
In no way does it cripple the audio in my opinion. Yes it may be lacking a bit of bass but the bass that is there is clean and it still sounds 1000x better than my other car with Andream using AUX.
Yeah, I would agree with tdott. At least for me, the lack of bass isn't noticeable. I've got the Harman/Kardon, Logic7 setup in my car and there is plenty of bass. I did play a bit with the equalizer though, to fine-tune the output to my musical taste (mostly House/Electronic music) but again, lack of bass isn't really an issue. I get it that when you play an actual CD, the audio quality is slightly better, but I think this box does an excellent job on the audio department. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #367
Sedicivalvole
Rep

That is good news, as for a moment I was worrying when it was said the audio is crippled. As it’s an improvement over using an AUX connection (which is what I’m after) I am still optimistic about the audio quality.

Though I do hope the audio / bass difference can be resolved so it is the same quality as CD etc.

Im in for the new unit so hopefully it will have updated firmware when it ships with some of the issues resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #368
drwankel
Major
Rep

Wholeheartedly disagree that it isn't an issue, and I stand by it being crippled. I would say anybody who thinks there isn't an issue has not done a 1:1 comparison with the exact same audio natively through the CIC system. Saying it sounds better than X other 3rd party component isn't the point, and frankly isn't relevant. The whole point of this system is audio- and the audio doesnt work correctly.

You should not have to make ANY eq adjustments due to using this system vs what sounds good with the standard CIC inputs. The CIC system expects a flat neutral input from all of its sources, which is why the EQ settings are system wide and not input specific. Keep in mind, this is a digital signal input we are talking about. Using the EQ to try to compinsate for this is an awful approach, as you are amplifying a weak or missing signal which is not going to restore audio fidelity.

At this point in time, there is a low frequency range that is either omitted from the signal entirely, or with the DB levels inexplicably reduced.

This is a flaw, and again, I'm highly suspecting it can be fixed in software.

If you think you arent affected by this, try the exact same audio through the CD player, USB, or bluetooth, without adjusting the volume or EQ. It wont sound the same, and it should.
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      11-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #369
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

New firmware update available: v2.0

"bmwCIC_20211111" Add Support for P2000 LIGHTS

P2000 for CIC v2.0 (last update 20211117)

Anyone with bass issues want to test?

Last edited by djan9el; 11-17-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #370
drwankel
Major
Rep

I don't suspect that new update is going to fix the issue.

I received communication from them last night, and it sounds like the specific software/driver that needs to be corrected is not written by them- and they are coordinating with that party on a fix. After they receive the fix, they need to test the fix in all of their various configurations (different BMW models) to ensure the fix hasn't caused degradation somewhere else which will take time.

In short, they are aware and have confirmed the problem, it is a priority, but the process of rolling this out to production will take time to do it safely.

I've volunteered to beta test the fix, and they were receptive to that idea.

So we'll have something eventually, but not imminently.
Appreciate 4
djan9el47.00
dandandan101.50
UnicornM382.50
      11-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #371
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Some functionality questions:

1. If I want to play music from my ipod, via the centre armrest connection, does this have to be via the standard CIC user interface?
2. If I want to play any USB stick music (via the centre armrest slot) is this via CIC or P2000 user interface?
3. If either of the above is via the CIC UI, what happens if I start music playback, then switch to the P2000 for Waze use? Does the music stop?
4. If I am in the P2000 UI (say because I am using Waze) and an incoming call arrives, does this remain in the P2000 UI, or will it default to CIC? Or is this configurable?

Thanks in advance!
      11-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #372
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Some functionality questions:

1. If I want to play music from my ipod, via the centre armrest connection, does this have to be via the standard CIC user interface?
2. If I want to play any USB stick music (via the centre armrest slot) is this via CIC or P2000 user interface?
3. If either of the above is via the CIC UI, what happens if I start music playback, then switch to the P2000 for Waze use? Does the music stop?
4. If I am in the P2000 UI (say because I am using Waze) and an incoming call arrives, does this remain in the P2000 UI, or will it default to CIC? Or is this configurable?

Thanks in advance!

Yes only works over the CIC. The Mr12volt box is a separate input entirely, shows up as a CD changer, and you cannot have 2 inputs playing at once on the CIC. The USB port in the center console is tied to the CIC system only.

CIC interface, for the same reasons listed above. That being said, you can do the same thing with the USB port on the Mr12volt box and play audio through there.

Music stops. You are switching the input on the CIC.

Depends, and this actually seems like a bug. If you have your phone paired to the CIC, and you are in carplay or android auto, if you initiate a call, it sends you back to CIC. If you receive a call, it is handled in carplay. I'm assuming the behavior is the same with Android auto. If you want to ensure everything only goes through the mr12volt box, you will need to unpair your phone with the CIC system.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #373
heilig.oleg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 M50D

I ordered Mr12Volt P2000 LIGHTS for my BMW X5 E70 CIC. I have Professional audio system with DSP (677 option). The audio quality is OK (but not great). I am thinking about buying an external DAC to improve the audio quality (e.g. fiio k3 or fiio e10k).

Does Mr12Volt P2000 LIGHTS support DAC? Does anyone use a DAC with P2000?

P2000 supports MOST. Does it make sense to use an external DAC with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #374
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilig.oleg View Post
I ordered Mr12Volt P2000 LIGHTS for my BMW X5 E70 CIC. I have Professional audio system with DSP (677 option). The audio quality is OK (but not great). I am thinking about buying an external DAC to improve the audio quality (e.g. fiio k3 or fiio e10k).

Does Mr12Volt P2000 LIGHTS support DAC? Does anyone use a DAC with P2000?

P2000 supports MOST. Does it make sense to use an external DAC with it?
Makes zero sense at all.

The signal over MOST is digital. There isn't a DAC in play at all until the digital to analog conversion happens in the CIC system itself.

An external DAC would only help in a system using AUX input, as that input is analog.

Not having analog anywhere in the chain is the whole benefit of using MOST for the audio.
Appreciate 0