BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #23
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm sure there is a way to do lead/follow well but I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

I don't instruct with BMWCCA often, but I've done this lead/follow a couple times and it was a complete clusterfuck.

Fortunately PCA has had in person instruction throughout the pandemic through a opt-in process. At least that way the student learns something instead of wondering WTF is happening through the session.

Lead/follow could be done pretty well with wireless headsets like the SENA stuff, where you can talk to your student while in different cars.

In the end, instructing is supposed to help the students overcome their limitations. I have yet to hear any positive feedback about lead/follow from any student. Indeed, what I hear from the students is how frustrated they are with lead/follow and the lack of communication throughout the session
Its a function of prior planning/Instructor training for Lead-Follow, driver focus and understanding and reasonable expectations.

I did Lead-Follow prior to the pandemic - as well as during with BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA and others. Lots of cancelled events and some chapters cancelled most events for the year by direction of their Boards. Each had their own policies that needed to be complied with - some of which are driven by insurers. Add to that varying policies at each state and track venue that constantly evolved/changed. The reality of Covid drove what was feasible and what was allowed. Twice I saw a state inspector show up judging compliance. No compliance = track gets shut down.

A lot of instructors attended the MSR Lead-Follow webinar with Ross Bentley. It was helpful and it was clear what the limitations might be. Driver prep was key. I though most organizations handled prep, group passing rules etc pretty well, all considered.

The reality is that there is a finite limit as to what can be accomplished in lead-follow. If a driver is frustrated by that - then its best to wait until Covid wanes/vaccination percentage rises so restrictions loosen. But having a normal HPDE during the height of the pandemic isn't a reasonable expectation. So folks needed to adjust their expectations or sit it out for a while.

I usually had two lead-follow students. The problem is that one or both students would often be short on observing and duplicating basic techniques. One would lag. One wouldn't see the group passing signal clearly given. A chase car with an instructor in it told me post-session that lines were well off what was demonstrated, despite a limited pace. I saw some real bonehead stuff from one person. Pre-session brief can only go so far if someone isn't concentrating.

I did 2-way and 3-way phone conferences with drivers and that helped a lot. I asked them in advance to bring a Bluetooth earbud. But we still had real limitations which I came to accept as part of the "Make the best of it" lead-follow solution.
Appreciate 0