BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

09-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #45
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nothing about it conveys that it is useful offroad. looks completely worthless, actually. poor clearance, no solid axle. silly.

09-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #46
bagekko
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135i Cabrio  [0.00]
I like it but it has the same chasis as the new Disco and isnt as rugged and trail ready as the old defender.

Which ever comes first is what I am getting, the X7 45e or the Defender 130 diesel.
2017 BMW X5 35d MSport
2019 BMW i3 120ah REX
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife's car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I like it but it has the same chasis as the new Disco and isnt as rugged and trail ready as the old defender.

Which ever comes first is what I am getting, the X7 45e or the Defender 130 diesel.
I don't know. It has more ground clearance than a Rubicon and better crab angles too. The old D90's are cool and all, but a Buick V8 redline limited to 88mph is only funny for so long.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #48
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
nothing about it conveys that it is useful offroad. looks completely worthless, actually. poor clearance, no solid axle. silly.
Quote:

Did you guys read the article? While it has departed from solid axles, it still has low range and available center and rear lockers. Those are features typical AWD crossovers do not have and are quite useful on the trail. It also doesn't share a platform with any other Land Rover models as quoted from the article:

Quote:
The Defender rides on an all-new aluminum unibody platform named D7x, not shared with any other Land Rover model. This unibody construction, and the use of independent suspension front and rear, are the biggest departures from Defender tradition.

09-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #49
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Did you guys read the article? While it has departed from solid axles, it still has low range and available center and rear lockers. Those are features typical AWD crossovers do not have and are quite useful on the trail. It also doesn't share a platform with any other Land Rover models as quoted from the article:
not so sure about not sharing the Discovery platform, it's easy to shorten or lengthen stampings for different wheelbase and other dimensions and maintain the suspension pick-up points.

https://jalopnik.com/what-i-found-wh...r-d-1838080009
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #50
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The Defender rides on an all-new aluminum unibody platform named D7x, not shared with any other Land Rover model. This unibody construction, and the use of independent suspension front and rear, are the biggest departures from Defender tradition.
It's garbage. All those features are boutique terms to wow people who don't know. A base rubicon is far more capable and I'm not really a Jeep guy.
      09-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #51
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's garbage. All those features are boutique terms to wow people who don't know. A base rubicon is far more capable and I'm not really a Jeep guy.

Low range and locking differentials are boutique terms? A Jeep Wrangler Rubicon also has low range (along with every other Wrangler model) and front and rear lockers to aid its capability.
      09-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #52
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Low range and locking differentials are boutique terms? A Jeep Wrangler Rubicon also has low range (along with every other Wrangler model) and front and rear lockers to aid its capability.
i'm not saying those things don't help. i'm saying it is nothing special. standard equipment on other vehicles- and no front locker.
i don't see any significant clearance or suspension travel capabilities. its mediocre.

all the other features with air suspension and "water crossing" mode is just a dog and pony show. more stuff to break.

Last edited by roastbeef; 09-17-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
i'm not saying those things don't help. i'm saying it is nothing special. standard equipment on other vehicles.
i don't see any significant clearance or suspension travel capabilities. its mediocre.
Just a little sampling of old vs new (although the fording depth is clearly non snorkel vs snorkel):

...ground clearance has risen from 9.8 to 11.4 inches. The angle the new Defender can tilt on its side before falling over is now 45 degrees rather than 35 degrees. Wading depth has also increased from 19.6 inches to a little over 35 inches.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #54
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

Coming to sorority houses and tennis clubs near you...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #55
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
No shit. Along with every car this forum is about.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #56
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
i'm not saying those things don't help. i'm saying it is nothing special. standard equipment on other vehicles- and no front locker.

all the other features with air suspension and "water crossing" mode is just a dog and pony show. more stuff to break.

I guess we'll see how special/competitive it is once the comparison tests start coming out. I can think of two direct competitors regarding the 4x4 capabilities, however those competitors fill two different spectrums of the market and typically appeal to very different types of customers. Those being the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the Mercedes G-wagon. I would love to see a comparison test between those three to see how they perform on the trail. I doubt many people will cross shop all three; possibly some people comparing the Jeep and the Defender for 4x4 use, and others comparing the G-wagon and Defender as luxury SUVs with abilities they want but will most likely never use.

Speaking of diff lockers, there are only three vehicles I can think of offering front and rear lockers from the factory. Those being the aforementioned Wrangler Rubicon and G-wagon, along with the Chevy Colorado ZR-2. The Toyota Land Cruiser may still offer a front locker, though I am not sure off the top of my head. I agree on the other features they are touting, they are probably things that may malfunction or break down the road.

Regardless, I'm just happy to see that some manufacturers are still willing to offer what I consider a true SUV, and not just a crossover pretending to be one.
      09-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #57
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

The same could be said for Wranglers though too. Granted there are loads of people who use Jeeps for their intended purpose; I know I would want to. There are also loads of people who just want the look.
      09-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #58
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

Quote:
The same could be said for Wranglers though too. Granted there are loads of people who use Jeeps for their intended purpose; I know I would want to. There are also loads of people who just want the look.
Agree. Wranglers are perfect for high school kids and suburban moms who love the “Jeep without doors and big tires” look.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Agree. Wranglers are perfect for high school kids and suburban moms who love the “Jeep without doors and big tires” look.
And they have $10 fenders, it's nearly impossible to curb rash a wheel and they tend to have good sight lines. My nephew has one as a college car, can't say it's a bad choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #60
supra93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0