BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SSII E92 M3

Titanium Exhaust Shop - Near Ontario

Hi M3post,

Wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a titanium exhaust shop located around toronto - thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

GT Custom in Courtice.

It's a bit of a drive but Matt is an artist with metal fabrication, including titanium.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Wait till you see my titanium x-pipe... its not going to be for the weak hearted
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
GT Custom in Courtice.

It's a bit of a drive but Matt is an artist with metal fabrication, including titanium.
Thanks for the suggestion! Gave them a ring, definitely knows what to do without skipping corners, trying to find something more local - though I intend on making the trip if I can't find anything else

Out of curiosity, have you dealt with their other locations in oshawa/pickering? I think matt is at the oshawa location, mike at the pickering, and it's actually paul at courtrice. Thoughts on location choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Wait till you see my titanium x-pipe... its not going to be for the weak hearted
Haha, what exhaust setup are you running? Had thoughts of changing up my mid-section, but worried the sound increase might be overbearing for my small and sensitive ears
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoslow View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! Gave them a ring, definitely knows what to do without skipping corners, trying to find something more local - though I intend on making the trip if I can't find anything else

Out of curiosity, have you dealt with their other locations in oshawa/pickering? I think matt is at the oshawa location, mike at the pickering, and it's actually paul at courtrice. Thoughts on location choices?
I used to deal with Matt quite a bit when he was at the Pickering location, and I can 100% vouch for his titanium work. I'd go to wherever he is operating out of, not that I doubt the capabilities of the other locations.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, what exhaust setup are you running? Had thoughts of changing up my mid-section, but worried the sound increase might be overbearing for my small and sensitive ears
I have a valvetronic setup, and the x-pipe is coming directly from a manufacturer that makes titanium exhaust systems for larger Japanese brands. So the x-pipe I'll be getting will be on par with the systems that are being sold on the market for big bucks.

I'll post pictures when it has arrived. Titanium is not easy to weld and its a very careful craft so if you get anything done in Ti locally make sure the shop is well capable otherwise the welds would just be complete rubbish.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I used to deal with Matt quite a bit when he was at the Pickering location, and I can 100% vouch for his titanium work. I'd go to wherever he is operating out of, not that I doubt the capabilities of the other locations.
Appreciate all the help! Getting a whole array of price ranges from varying shops, difficult to figure who's gauging an unknowing customer, who's overpromising to unimpress vs a quality shop with reasonable prices

Here's my shop list if anyone wants to chime in:
1. Gtcustoms
2. xiiimotorsports
3. boosttheory
4. Millfinish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I have a valvetronic setup, and the x-pipe is coming directly from a manufacturer that makes titanium exhaust systems for larger Japanese brands. So the x-pipe I'll be getting will be on par with the systems that are being sold on the market for big bucks.

I'll post pictures when it has arrived. Titanium is not easy to weld and its a very careful craft so if you get anything done in Ti locally make sure the shop is well capable otherwise the welds would just be complete rubbish.
Nice! Assuming you're getting a premium setup for non-premium prices? How are you enjoying the valvetronic setup - ever find yourself leaning towards valves open vs closed?

Been doing my research with titanium, looks like the general consensus is that welding titanium to stainless is complete nonsense - welds will be rubish, and crack upon any slight tap
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Assuming you're getting a premium setup for non-premium prices? How are you enjoying the valvetronic setup - ever find yourself leaning towards valves open vs closed?
Ti is premium pricing regardless, it's not for everyone. The material isn't particularly cheap and even most big brands only do their exhausts in SUS304.
The valvetronic exhaust setup is great, except when its closed its too quiet. I leave it open most of the time, need the x-pipe to pair with it so I can get a bit more bark out of the exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Spoke with a bunch of shops, going with Matt @ GT Customs - offered a different/unique approach for the job, have heard nothing but good things about his work. Note that he's pretty jam packed for jobs, and you'll probably have to book 2-3 weeks out - hope everything turns out 100% !

List of potential shops for reference:
1. Gtcustoms
2. xiiimotorsports
3. boosttheory
4. Millfinish
5. 10Fintec
6. Eurocharged
7. Proper Fabrications
8. Millfinish
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Update: Spoke with a bunch of shops, going with Matt @ GT Customs - offered a different/unique approach for the job, have heard nothing but good things about his work. Note that he's pretty jam packed for jobs, and you'll probably have to book 2-3 weeks out - hope everything turns out 100% !

List of potential shops for reference:
1. Gtcustoms
2. xiiimotorsports
3. boosttheory
4. Millfinish
5. 10Fintec
6. Eurocharged
7. Proper Fabrications
8. Millfinish
What are you looking to get done?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
What are you looking to get done?
Looking to connect stainless steel pipes to a titanium muffler, 2 ways in mind to go about doing this:

1. Flanging titanium/stainless and connecting through a v-band
2. Flaring up titanium/stainless so it's more of a press-fit (think of the OEM MPE, or even the Corsa exhaust)

Most shops have suggested the former rather than the latter, Matt @ Gt Customs was the first to suggest #2 - think this'll be a cleaner setup!

If anyone has a third option, open to ideas! I meet with Matt in about 2 weeks to get this done Hopefully have some nice pics/vids to share soon!
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      09-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
yoslow
Private First Class
Rep

Update on my progress - went with Matt @ GtCustoms, he's a really nice guy with super attention to detail. Ended up going with option 2, and I'm super happy with the fit and finish of everything.

While at the exhaust shop, Matt also pointed out that there was an issue with my stock exhaust, person who connected it didn't connect my axleback properly with my midpipe - he ended up fixing this for me free of charge!

Will be returning to GTCustoms in the future, and highly recommend his shop. Ended up doing alot of due diligence throughout this process and am glad I waited for the right guy where you can expect nothing but perfection. Key thing to note is that you're better off calling in advance and setting an appointment than showing up expecting things to be done the same day.

Hopefully he's snapped some snazzy pics for his instagram of my setup - we were joking about the caption being "Get it done once, get it done right the first time"
Appreciate 0