BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #23
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
How old are you? I get the impression that you're a bit young and green. With age comes a little experience and perspective. My experience has taught me that if I need to supercharge something like an M3, perhaps it's not the right car. If power is what I was after, I'd be looking at a corvette or C63S. And I certainly wouldn't be going for an big mods without owning the car for even a day. As far as adding the s/c to the finance costs of the car, I have to question whether you can even afford to car for this car. I was young and dumb at one point. I took out student loans to afford a used supercharger when I was in grad school. Incidentally, I still have the car with the blower. But it certainly wasn't the smartest idea and I certainly couldn't afford such an extravagance at the time. I also know people who drop ~$50k on mods to cars that they leased---also a silly move.

Drive the car and get some experience behind the wheel. If you think the car is lacking that much, I'd have a hard time not just getting something else.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #24
Ccambrid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 DCT

This is all a little silly. I've owned high torque/hp cars before, and in the right rpm, the E92 M3 still feels like a brute. If you want crazy numbers, I agree that you should either get a corvette, or an F82 M4. I've even found some M4s for around the same price as used e92 M3s.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #25
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

OP - congratulations on considering an E9X car. My advice, put aside money for unexpected maintenance items and definitely do the RBs/motor mounts, if not already addressed.

Now onto the supercharger aspiration, my, admittedly contrarian, opinion is that the car is plenty powerful and should be enjoyed in stock form.
I have another more powerful car and the M3 is way more fun to drive at "only" 414HP. Sometimes less is more...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #26
Chris_Penning
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 6MT DINAN BADGED M3

Appreciate all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #27
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
How old are you? I get the impression that you're a bit young and green. With age comes a little experience and perspective. My experience has taught me that if I need to supercharge something like an M3, perhaps it's not the right car. If power is what I was after, I'd be looking at a corvette or C63S. And I certainly wouldn't be going for an big mods without owning the car for even a day. As far as adding the s/c to the finance costs of the car, I have to question whether you can even afford to car for this car. I was young and dumb at one point. I took out student loans to afford a used supercharger when I was in grad school. Incidentally, I still have the car with the blower. But it certainly wasn't the smartest idea and I certainly couldn't afford such an extravagance at the time. I also know people who drop ~$50k on mods to cars that they leased---also a silly move.

Drive the car and get some experience behind the wheel. If you think the car is lacking that much, I'd have a hard time not just getting something else.
This is my thinking here. In my 20s I would have thought it perfectly fine to trade in a car that's paid off just so I can have the then-new 2010 Camaro SS... 660 a month is fine while in college and not having to pay bills or rent right?! ... Nowadays I'd never! For this car I would rather take care of anything that has the potential to break. If you have plenty of disposable cash, SC after you strengthen the car and not pay interest in the SC. Also if you end up wanting to sell then what?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yeah to echo others.. most of these, even great cars over $30K, have some core repair items that could come quickly after ownership.. a lot of people time the sale with some significant impending PM items..unless one is a skilled DIYer, the cost to take care of items that often come up soon after purchase isn't cheap, such as: breaks (~$2K), valve cover gaskets (~$700-900), Oil filter housing gasket (~$1K), tires ($1K), spark plugs ($500), DCT service, pan and gaskets ($1K+), underbelly pan (~$400), etc etc..... and of course Rod Bearings/engine mounts are an immediate must to do if not done already, which is $2400+ with BE bearings).

Unless you buy one that's already SC, plan to stash away $5K for emergency repair funds to ease the stress of ownership. Of course, this platform is worth every penny of gas and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #29
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Im not an accountant but my car has and will be bone stock until psychologically Im not in a position of anxiety regarding possible repairs.
Preach! I just hit $18,000 in repairs (not including routine maintenance) after 14 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #30
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBeezy View Post
Quote:
Im not an accountant but my car has and will be bone stock until psychologically Im not in a position of anxiety regarding possible repairs.
Preach! I just hit $18,000 in repairs (not including routine maintenance) after 14 months of ownership.
      05-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #31
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
$18k in repairs in such a short time? what repairs were done? what was the history of your car before you purchased; mileage, previous owners, maint,repairs, etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:17 AM   #32
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
That sounds grossly inflated. Did you have the dealership replace your motor or something?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #33
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:
That sounds grossly inflated. Did you have the dealership replace your motor or something?
Pretty much. The rod bearing job was a little over $6k by itself. I'll send my maintenance log later today when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #34
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Just for your info. It took a few years for me to to feel like the car needed a supercharger. I was very happy with it for several years without one. Yes its a lot of fun, but adding an SC adds to the cost of ownership in a big way and makes some maint. items more expensive because you have to remove the SC to get to things. For a first time m3 owner, I would just get the newest stock car you can and enjoy it. Spend the money on the rb/tas and keep it in tip top shape maint wise. If down the road you get the itch and think its worth it, pull the trigger on the SC.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #35
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty much. The rod bearing job was a little over $6k by itself. I'll send my maintenance log later today when I get home.
Ouch! If you like spending money, you should have had someone else do it so you could have gotten two of your friends’ bearings changed, too!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      05-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #36
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who in the hell charged you $6K for a rod bearing replacement?! that's nearly 3 times the going rate of ~$2.5K.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #37
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who in the hell charged you $6K for a rod bearing replacement?! that's nearly 3 times the going rate of ~$2.5K.
Fun fact 1: the dealer charges that amount and fun fact 2: it was covered under warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #38
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
Ouch! If you like spending money, you should have had someone else do it so you could have gotten two of your friends’ bearings changed, too!
Lol if it weren't for my warranty I would've gone to a local shop
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #39
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Fun fact 1: the dealer charges that amount and fun fact 2: it was covered under warranty
So your $18k figure is entirely pointless. You're using the highest possible data point to represent repair costs when that is so far out of the norm.

And how did they even "replace" bearings under warranty? If they seize, you need a new motor - they wouldn't just do a rod bearing replacement preventatively under warranty. That doesn't make any sense either.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      05-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #40
Chris_Penning
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 6MT DINAN BADGED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Just for your info. It took a few years for me to to feel like the car needed a supercharger. I was very happy with it for several years without one. Yes its a lot of fun, but adding an SC adds to the cost of ownership in a big way and makes some maint. items more expensive because you have to remove the SC to get to things. For a first time m3 owner, I would just get the newest stock car you can and enjoy it. Spend the money on the rb/tas and keep it in tip top shape maint wise. If down the road you get the itch and think its worth it, pull the trigger on the SC.
I sincerely appreciate the insight. Based on all the input so far, I've definitely shelved the SC for now.

Thanks again for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #41
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
This!
Hell you could've had the job done for $2500 and spent $3500 for a full third party warranty on the entire car!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #42
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the dealer may charge that much for that particular repair, but rod bearings are not a "maintenance " item in the eyes of a BMW dealership and they would not have done this as a preventative maintenance- thats not how BMW warranty works. unless there was a service action or a recall on this car, which there is NOT your story does not add up. stop posting nonsene to a post where someone is trying to get USEFUL information.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      05-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #43
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the dealer may charge that much for that particular repair, but rod bearings are not a "maintenance " item in the eyes of a BMW dealership and they would not have done this as a preventative maintenance- thats not how BMW warranty works. unless there was a service action or a recall on this car, which there is NOT your story does not add up. stop posting nonsene to a post where someone is trying to get USEFUL information.
I should've expected people like you would get butt hurt over this. I took my car in for her 7,500 mile oil service. Tech noticed a "significant amount" of silver shavings. Fast forward a couple phone calls later...Warranty paid for rod bearing service. If you are still upset about this, I'm sorry. If it doesn't make sense, oh well. I'll be getting into my M3 after work with brand new bearings that my warranty covered
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #44
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I should've expected people like you would get butt hurt over this. I took my car in for her 7,500 mile oil service. Tech noticed a "significant amount" of silver shavings. Fast forward a couple phone calls later...Warranty paid for rod bearing service. If you are still upset about this, I'm sorry. If it doesn't make sense, oh well. I'll be getting into my M3 after work with brand new bearings that my warranty covered
Jokes on your sir. Your bearings are still problematic if replaced with OEM, which they were if repaired an a bmw dealer. You better hope your motor dumps during your warranty...
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00