BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

09-30-2023, 12:12 PM   #991
Abdul
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

All back orders have almost been cleared up. Thank you all for trusting me. Still buying more cores so we can continue to reduce the lead time. The goal is to have units on the shelf so nobody waits more than just a few days.

Abdul
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      12-21-2023, 07:12 PM   #992
h2oiamwater
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92, 3-E36s

Curious, anyone know How much different is this with a ESS Supercharger?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 04:36 PM   #993
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oiamwater View Post
Curious, anyone know How much different is this with a ESS Supercharger?
Which one?
https://esstuning.com/bmw/e9x-3-series/m3/
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 06:43 PM   #994
Abdul
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Jan 2024 Update:
My mission since the start of last summer was to decrease lead times to 3-5 business days. To accomplish this, I started by raising the core charge. This did help but customers were still taking too long to send the cores back. Then I started sending free return labels with each shipment. I also hired someone who spends 3-4 hours a day just calling and texting people to remind them to return their cores. Finally, I purchased all the used units I could get my hands on. With these changes, I finally have units on the shelf and I can ship them out within 24 hours of receiving the order. No more lead time at all.

Virtually, everyone agrees that EPM Throttle Actuators are the only option when it comes to replacing TAs. Backed by a transferable Lifetime warranty, this is a no-brainer. I just always had a hard time keeping them on the shelf which led to some of you having to spend a fortune to buy inferior OEM units. You can now keep the extra cash in your pocket. I will do whatever it takes to keep units on my shelf and save you money and the headache of lead times. Thank you to those who privately and publicly called me out if I didn’t meet their requirements. You made me a better person and made me make the necessary changes.

Here is a link if you need units. Also, always use this promo code when checking out. E9xM3FBGROUP.

https://europowermotorsports.com/pro...ttle-actuator/
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      01-22-2024, 07:26 PM   #995
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Does SES light, when generated, cause the car to go to "limp mode?"

On my 2013 M3, on different starts, I get different numbers of warnings on the dashboard - sometimes several warning lights, sometimes two, sometimes 1 and sometimes none. The one that always seems to be there is the SES light. The car then posts the message "Increased emissions!" With an exclamation mark, no less - like you bad, bad boy, you're screwing up mother earth.

In any case, this got me to thinking. What does "increased emissions" mean? To me it means there exists some kind of fixed emissions baseline in the car somewhere. In addition, something is constantly calculating the emissions generated by my car and going out the exhaust.

Then, the two are constantly compared somewhere in the car. That is, my generated emissions are compared to the baseline emission and if, for example, a ratio exceeds a certain amount, the SES light goes on.

Could it be that if that emissions ratio exceeds another predetermined value the car will be thrown into limp mode?

What I'm thinking is that perhaps there is nothing really wrong with the gears in the throttle valve actuator. And the car could go on indefinitely. Except that someone has determined you are exceeding what they believe is the acceptable amount of emissions going out your back end. Therefore you are assigned the limp mode.

In other words, you're not going into the limp mode because of a gear problem. You're going into the limp mode because you are exceeding an emissions standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 02:43 PM   #996
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
On my 2013 M3, on different starts, I get different numbers of warnings on the dashboard - sometimes several warning lights, sometimes two, sometimes 1 and sometimes none. The one that always seems to be there is the SES light. The car then posts the message "Increased emissions!" With an exclamation mark, no less - like you bad, bad boy, you're screwing up mother earth.

In any case, this got me to thinking. What does "increased emissions" mean? To me it means there exists some kind of fixed emissions baseline in the car somewhere. In addition, something is constantly calculating the emissions generated by my car and going out the exhaust.

Then, the two are constantly compared somewhere in the car. That is, my generated emissions are compared to the baseline emission and if, for example, a ratio exceeds a certain amount, the SES light goes on.

Could it be that if that emissions ratio exceeds another predetermined value the car will be thrown into limp mode?

What I'm thinking is that perhaps there is nothing really wrong with the gears in the throttle valve actuator. And the car could go on indefinitely. Except that someone has determined you are exceeding what they believe is the acceptable amount of emissions going out your back end. Therefore you are assigned the limp mode.

In other words, you're not going into the limp mode because of a gear problem. You're going into the limp mode because you are exceeding an emissions standard.
No, the SES doesn't 'cause' the car to go into limp mode. Sounds just like bad T.A(s) to me. The Christmas Tree light dash at start-up is typical prior to total T.A. failure(s). You may have only one T.A. going bad causing a lack of throttle body synchronization between the two banks. The DME/ECU checks for this synchronization (calibration) parameter upon start-up. If the test is failed, then limp mode typically ensues. Read the fault codes to know for sure. Regarding the SES dash light; here's the official thread on the topic which began in 2009 and has almost a quarter million views.
SERVICE ENGINE SOON THREAD:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310475
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 01:26 PM   #997
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
No, the SES doesn't 'cause' the car to go into limp mode.
I need to be a bit clearer.

The computer (ECU) in your M3 is constantly receiving information, in the form of voltages, from your O2 sensors. Those voltages from your O2 Sensors are compared to pre established voltages programed into your ECU. Those pre-established voltages are fixed and put their by the dealer on orders from the EPA or, in my case, the California Air Resources Board, CARB.

CARB has dictated that voltage levels coming out of your O2 sensors above a certain base voltage can "possibly" lead to "unacceptably high emissions."

Because it is merely a "possibility", only your "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light comes on. With the SES light on, your car keeps running normally; but, you wont pass the California smog test (i.e., the CARB test). Bottom line, under the "possible" scenario, CARB has dictated your only going to drive in a normal way ( in California) up until when your smog test must be passed.

On the other hand, when the voltage levels coming out of your O2 sensors are high enough, CARB has determined you are no longer "possibly" causing unacceptably high emission but you are, in fact, causing unacceptably high emissions. That's when they shut you down. CARB forces your car past the SES condition and into what is called the "limp mode."

Lot's of people think the "limp mode" has been established to prevent some catastrophic engine component (or drive train) failure. Baloney.

The limp mode and the SES light are there to stop you from screwing up the environment. The people pulling the strings would refer to your "limp mode" predicament as a necessary means of imposing "environmental justice."

https://www.epa.gov/environmentaljus...and%20policies.
Appreciate 0