BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Will leatherique damage/fade/dirty contrast stitching?

I plan on doing the leatherique treatment to my M3 this spring but I am concerned with my contrast stitching. I have a black interior with blue contrast stitching that came with the frozen blue limited edition M3s. The contrast stitching is kind of dull and doesn't really pop in it's factory form and I certainly don't wanna dull it anymore so will leatherique damage/fade/dirty the stitching? Also is there any other product separate from leatherique that I can use to clean and freshen the stitching itself without hurting the leather or the leatherique treatment?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Use a gently soap like woollite, to clean the stitching first and then treat the leather.

6:1 water to woollite

Post results!
      03-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Use a gently soap like woollite, to clean the stitching first and then treat the leather.

6:1 water to woollite

Post results!
Definitely, I will do before and after shots. I am waiting for it to get HOT so the leatherique will probably be absorbed so it will take a few months.

After cleaning the stitching should I mask it off or take care to avoid the stitching with the application of the Leatherique or can it be covered? My leather is 7/10 including areas near the stitching and I really want to restore it as good as I can
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
You could mask it, just use very gentle tape or you might pull thread fibers and have a fuzzy stitch line.

Try the woollite first. You can clean the whole seat with the solution. I've used the leatherique oil and have since resolved to just their prestine clean more often. I used it on the full interior!

The oil just makes a mess and really gets into every crack and seam. Something I've found when removing the interior... Spun off the track and covered the interior in an inch of sand. Suffice to say, I'm still finding sand

If you're intent on the oil. Consider removing the front seats and bring them inside. Super easy (4 bolts and a harness to disconnect). Will make the application and clean up much easier. Also unless you have four passengers often the rear is likely already untouched.

Good luck!
      03-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
You could mask it, just use very gentle tape or you might pull thread fibers and have a fuzzy stitch line.

Try the woollite first. You can clean the whole seat with the solution. I've used the leatherique oil and have since resolved to just their prestine clean more often. I used it on the full interior!

The oil just makes a mess and really gets into every crack and seam. Something I've found when removing the interior... Spun off the track and covered the interior in an inch of sand. Suffice to say, I'm still finding sand

If you're intent on the oil. Consider removing the front seats and bring them inside. Super easy (4 bolts and a harness to disconnect). Will make the application and clean up much easier. Also unless you have four passengers often the rear is likely already untouched.

Good luck!
I am pretty set on using the oil and I might consider removing the seats. How would you clean the stitching? Toothbrush or gently rub with microfiber?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Start least abrasive possible - Microfiber and if it doesn't provide the results move to the toothbrush. Again, be gentle with the stitch fibers.

You'll have to play around and see what works. Maybe test the oil on the stitching and then clean with woollite after?
      03-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbot007 View Post
I am pretty set on using the oil and I might consider removing the seats. How would you clean the stitching? Toothbrush or gently rub with microfiber?
Your choice do to the job with "Leatherique" is the best choice for our Novillo leather .
As you can see in the pics below ,I just used the Leatherique Rejuvenator oil and 2 days later I removed it with warm water My seats , door panels and my steering wheel , included the stitching on my steering wheel was/is done with Leatherique .
I did the whole stitching with a soft tooth brush .

Mate don't be worried and go for it !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Your choice do to the job with "Leatherique" is the best choice for our Novillo leather .
As you can see in the pics below ,I just used the Leatherique Rejuvenator oil and 2 days later I removed it with warm water My seats , door panels and my steering wheel , included the stitching on my steering wheel was/is done with Leatherique .
I did the whole stitching with a soft tooth brush .

Mate don't be worried and go for it !
That looks fantastic!

Has anyone ever applied leatherique to the extended leather portions of the car? (Dashboard, center console, glove box)? If so was it a good result?

I called leatherique today and was told that the rejuv or clean will do absolutely nothing to the stitching in a negative way as they only react with the leather.

My leatherique should be here in a few days but I am waiting till it gets nice and hot to do the car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That looks fantastic!

Has anyone ever applied leatherique to the extended leather portions of the car? (Dashboard, center console, glove box)? If so was it a good result?

I called leatherique today and was told that the rejuv or clean will do absolutely nothing to the stitching in a negative way as they only react with the leather.

My leatherique should be here in a few days but I am waiting till it gets nice and hot to do the car.

Thanks!
Of course . Like I said , you can't go wrong
Mate , when your are done . Post your pics , and let me know
All my pleasure ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
That looks fantastic!

Thanks!
I've applied to the extended leather and carbon leather trim. Works fine, if messy and a PITA to get it all covered. Lay some towels in the the footwell to protect the carpets.

It's sitting on my leather right now.Actually, since I've been working from home, I've been putting a space heater in on low power and checking in on it. Done it before without issue and provides an alternate method to baking in the sun.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
Quote:
That looks fantastic!

Thanks!
I've applied to the extended leather and carbon leather trim. Works fine, if messy and a PITA to get it all covered. Lay some towels in the the footwell to protect the carpets.

It's sitting on my leather right now.Actually, since I've been working from home, I've been putting a space heater in on low power and checking in on it. Done it before without issue and provides an alternate method to baking in the sun.
Wow even the Carbon imprinted trim! Did that look any different/refreshed after you did it? My M3 is the only one I have seen in person with that trim set so I believe it looks normal but not 100% sure.

Space heater is a good idea. I heard you are not supposed to let the car sit in a way that would expose the leather to direct sunlight during the instillation. Have no idea if that is true or not or if it affects the process in anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Wow even the Carbon imprinted trim! Did that look any different/refreshed after you did it? My M3 is the only one I have seen in person with that trim set so I believe it looks normal but not 100% sure.

Space heater is a good idea. I heard you are not supposed to let the car sit in a way that would expose the leather to direct sunlight during the instillation. Have no idea if that is true or not or if it affects the process in anyway
The carbon trim seems to really like it, it seems to absorb more of the liquid than the leather on the dashboard. It cleans up well too, there's just a lot you have to work around. The leather on the center tunnel tends to suck up a fair bit of it as well.

Esoteric probably has the best video available on the process:
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #13
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

I just did my seats, leather trim and door panels. Very pleased with the results. I find pouring the oil into a bowl and using a soft bristle brush works well. Dip and swirl, like you're painting. No issues with the tri-color stitch in the steering wheel either.
Attached Images

04-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I just did my seats, leather trim and door panels. Very pleased with the results. I find pouring the oil into a bowl and using a soft bristle brush works well. Dip and swirl, like you're painting. No issues with the tri-color stitch in the steering wheel either.
Looks great . Well done Sir !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      04-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
KTNTN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Sort of off-topic but if you want to clean the stitching on your steering wheel to bring back the color use a little Dawn dishwashing soap in warm water with a soft bristle tooth brush. Lightly scrub the stitching with the solution and wipe clean with a dry rag. It works wonders taking off all the oil build up from your hands.
Appreciate 1
Frozen570.00
      04-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTNTN View Post
Sort of off-topic but if you want to clean the stitching on your steering wheel to bring back the color use a little Dawn dishwashing soap in warm water with a soft bristle tooth brush. Lightly scrub the stitching with the solution and wipe clean with a dry rag. It works wonders taking off all the oil build up from your hands.

I would actually recommend using laundry soap, not dish soap.
      04-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

FYI, this works great on Benz leather too.

My E90M's driver's seat needs another treatment after not doing it for a long time, I just did the whole car and the driver's seat still needs some help and/or another application (12 year old car, 127,000 miles). BUT one shot at the E63's leather was all it took to take the shininess off, and it had never been done in 40,000 miles and 5 years

+1 to Dawn, it's the best way to clean the steering wheel (the whole thing) in my experience, or any really-soiled seat. Steering wheels get too dirty from constant hand contact for the gentler leather care cleaning products to make a dent in. Then use a leather care product to put back the good oils that you stripped out with the dawn

I use a larger soft-bristle brush, about the size of my palm, to speed up application. I wish it had a sponge built in to the bristles because it's tough to keep the rpoduct on the brush.

Other than literal wear on the bolster, the driver's seat on my car still looks pretty excellent at 127,000 miles. The visible wear is mostly fraying of the stitching on the seatback bolster, and a little more "old leather jacket" wrinkling than in other places. Pictures don't really do a good job on this so I won't bother, but this product has me convinced after using it for the better part of a decade on my cars.

Last edited by Richbot; 04-28-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #18
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is this leather on top of the door cards? It seems more like a vinyl to me. I don't plan on putting the leatherique on it unless it is in fact leather.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

That's vinyl

Although leatherique prestine clean probably won't hurt it, obviously you don't want the oil built up in all those fauxhide cracks
      05-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
Is this leather on top of the door cards? It seems more like a vinyl to me. I don't plan on putting the leatherique on it unless it is in fact leather.

Thanks
Aww man I need to clean those too! Mine is all worn from previous owner elbow and human grease.

Yours look mint though!

I guess I'll use the leatherique pristine clean to hope bring it back to life.
      05-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #21
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Thanks

It's plastic. Just get a decent interior cleaning spray and use some elbow grease with a microfibre. Be sure to rotate to a fresh part of the towel often so you don't just grind the dirt back in. If it's really filthy, Einszett makes a heavy-duty interior cleaner but I wouldn't use it regularly.
      05-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #22
IMS M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '98 M3

I've used Leatherique oil and prestine clean on my E36 leather vaders and tri-color stitched steering wheel with only great results. Never any negative effects on the tri-colored stitching. Apparently prestine clean (without using the oil) is also effective on vinyl.
Appreciate 1