BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #45
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dave View Post
I love it when cars with street tires do or try to do a burnout. They THINK it is helping them with traction but little do they know unless you have the proper tire you are just wasting rubber.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
Z4dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
I love it when cars with street tires do or try to do a burnout. They THINK it is helping them with traction but little do they know unless you have the proper tire you are just wasting rubber.
Had to drive over water so had to do something to dry them
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #47
Mother
Rep
Drives: 2007 Charger SRT8, FI

Hey guys, new member here. Don't own (but would love to) a new M3. Currently, I own a 2007 Charger SRT8 with KW Variant 1s and a Vortech blower pushing 8psi... average of 500 rwhp on a dynojet.

Anyway, I saw the post about a 330 beating an SRT8 and although folks have already responded (months ago), I wanted to put out some real world figures on the SRT8 vehicles.

Prior to my blower install, I posted a best 0-60 of 4.4 and there are numerous timeslips that show high 12's in the 1/4 on a stock SRT8 when driven perfectly. Most you'll run into will run mid-low 13's stock. With a diablo tuner, you're gonna see consistent low 13s and high 12s with good launches.

As for handling, these cars are not slouches... they are NOT in the same category as the M3, but for nearly 4400 lbs, they're not too shabby. My pal has the same car as mine, minus the blower, but with aftermarket sways and KW Variant 2s, and kept up with a neighbor in his Evo on a stretch of backroads here in Socal.

Make no mistake, the M3 is by far the superior overall vehicle (why I want one), but the SRT8's aren't slow... that's for sure.

Anyway, I'll be in from time to time and hopefully, someday, will join your ranks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #48
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I embarrased a Magnum SRT8 in my wifes station wagon.
hahah..

thats awesome
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #49
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
Hey guys, new member here. Don't own (but would love to) a new M3. Currently, I own a 2007 Charger SRT8 with KW Variant 1s and a Vortech blower pushing 8psi... average of 500 rwhp on a dynojet.

Anyway, I saw the post about a 330 beating an SRT8 and although folks have already responded (months ago), I wanted to put out some real world figures on the SRT8 vehicles.

Prior to my blower install, I posted a best 0-60 of 4.4 and there are numerous timeslips that show high 12's in the 1/4 on a stock SRT8 when driven perfectly. Most you'll run into will run mid-low 13's stock. With a diablo tuner, you're gonna see consistent low 13s and high 12s with good launches.

As for handling, these cars are not slouches... they are NOT in the same category as the M3, but for nearly 4400 lbs, they're not too shabby. My pal has the same car as mine, minus the blower, but with aftermarket sways and KW Variant 2s, and kept up with a neighbor in his Evo on a stretch of backroads here in Socal.

Make no mistake, the M3 is by far the superior overall vehicle (why I want one), but the SRT8's aren't slow... that's for sure.

Anyway, I'll be in from time to time and hopefully, someday, will join your ranks!

seriously guys... the M3 is an amazing work of art. its one of the best cars ive ever been in, and even though its not perfect, its a great car.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT... If i were you... id 'get over yourself' and your 'M' badge when lining up against an American car. Those same cars are the ones that can be made to go rediculously fast for the same price as an oil change on an M5. (exagerattion.)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #50
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I embarrased a Magnum SRT8 in my wifes station wagon.
probably a R/T
I doubt you can outrun a SRT 8 with the wagon
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #51
Mother
Rep
Drives: 2007 Charger SRT8, FI

I think folks in general discount vehicles that are less expensive than theirs... Not because they're evil or dumb, but because they like and respect their own cars so much.

With that being said, I had a Lambo Gallardo look down his nose at my fat pig four door Charger... And started racing his engine, etc.

At the next light, he refused to even look at me! He had the nicer car but either couldn't drive and/or underestimated what me and my car could do in the straights!!!

Sure he'd eat my lunch on the twisties, but he chose the ground upon which to fight!

My pal (who I'm gonna try to get to join over here) is a highly trained rally and roadcourse driver and his 'famous' saying is that : 'the most important mod is the driver mod' or something to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #52
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
My pal (who I'm gonna try to get to join over here) is a highly trained rally and roadcourse driver and his 'famous' saying is that : 'the most important mod is the driver mod' or something to that effect.
Yep. It's been said before. The best mod is the investment you make in the driver. Taking a few sessions with a high performance driving school or event is not only cheaper than many other mods but will probably get you the most return on your money and is a heck of a lot of fun. You've probably heard that a good driver in a slow car can beat a bad driver in a fast car.
      10-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #53
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Yep. It's been said before. The best mod is the investment you make in the driver. Taking a few sessions with a high performance driving school or event is not only cheaper than many other mods but will probably get you the most return on your money and is a heck of a lot of fun. You've probably heard that a good driver in a slow car can beat a bad driver in a fast car.
yes and you become a safer, more educated driver, and road courses become more fun when you apply what you have learned
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #54
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

DISCLAIMER: The following story is purely fictional

The Charger SRT8 is NOT that fast.....at least at freeway speeds.....I saw one in stride a couple days ago (several times) at speeds up to 145mph (indicated) and the SRT was well behind every time....not even close.....it did sound good though, as I PASSED it at 8000+rpm.... I heard later that this exact SRT is a big time drag racer and runs high 11's...so I was surprised it was so weak above 100mph
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #55
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
I'm sure if you post a challenge over at the SRT-8 board, you'd find some takers. I, for one, personally think that it won't be such a cakewalk as some of you think it will be for the M3.

Just because a certain time has been posted from a magazine article doesn't guarantee that it can be always reproduced, especially by less-experienced drivers who don't do this sort of thing for a living.
I own a 300srt-8 which i like very well. It is comfy with a nice ride and sometimes makes me grin with its ability to move its family car chassy quite quickly when provoked. Furthermore it is actually quicker than a charger srt-8 due to a 200 lb savings, and i can tell you it does not keep up with an e90 e92 m3. good day.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #56
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
DISCLAIMER: The following story is purely fictional

The Charger SRT8 is NOT that fast.....at least at freeway speeds.....I saw one in stride a couple days ago (several times) at speeds up to 145mph (indicated) and the SRT was well behind every time....not even close.....it did sound good though, as I PASSED it at 8000+rpm.... I heard later that this exact SRT is a big time drag racer and runs high 11's...so I was surprised it was so weak above 100mph
for sure the M3 is faster, stock for stock 0-60, 1/4 mile, especially top end and track.

the charger you mentioned must have DR's and or mods to run 11's, in the 1/4, but no you are right they do not perfrom well at speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #57
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:

I have to say that I LOVE the sound of the Srt-8 and a buddy of mine has one that he plans to bring on the track next year as well as myself with the e92M3. I dont expect it to be great on the track but sure am looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #58
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I went to a SRT autocross day last year....the SRT with aftermarket mufflers sound sweet...just like a nascar.....
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #59
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
To my suprise you have some education it seems, well maybe. Let me be the barrier of bad news to you though, that srt-8 driver was an idiot. Theres no way (and we both know thats true) that you could stay with a srt-8 with a 330i

Your 2 cents is based off a supposed street race with your 330i in which i'm guessing you believe you beat the srt8? Sorry buddy but im more then skeptical when it comes to a 330i beating a srt8 charger. Either the kid was running on 87 octane with 100 plus degree temp outside or he had no clue what the fuck he was doing. Maybe he had the e-brake on while he was accelerating?

As far as you hating people arguing about classes....... I never said that the M3 wasn't superior then any srt8 out there. Go read my post more clearly, I said that it isnt a very fair comparison because of the amount of difference in price. I mean lets be logical, who the hell would be a 70k plus car when a 40k plus car can beat it stock vs stock? NOT ME! The m3 should not only beat any srt8 but it should run circles around it at a track, even a modified srt8.

Again, I never knew that 400 hp was trash regardless of what kind of car it was
Good post. Lets not forget that bone stock srt-8's regularly run 13.1 and 13.2 1/4 miles, think thats a bit better than a 330i, and in my opinion far from trash. Im really sick of the "if its made in the US its trash" rhetoric.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #60
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I love the sound of my M at 8000

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #61
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
400+ hp will get anyone into a lot of trouble real quick doesn't matter brand of car. I notice quite a lot of really young under 18yr M3 drivers are out there, scary stuff!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0