BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

KW V3 Knocking sound issue

So just recently I noticed this weird sound coming from my rear tires when my car is parked and when I get out in and in. So I just pushed on my rear driver side tire and I hear this knocking sound like something is loose and hitting metal and I can replicate it on the rear passenger side but not the front tire/suspension.

When I am driving/turning at any speed I do not hear anything or feel any weird vibration. I am not exactly sure what the problem is, I have done some research about KW's and there are cases with knocking issues. Has anyone here experienced this problem? I am going to try and take my car to the shop this weekend to get it looked at.
      12-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonshin View Post
So just recently I noticed this weird sound coming from my rear tires when my car is parked and when I get out in and in. So I just pushed on my rear driver side tire and I hear this knocking sound like something is loose and hitting metal and I can replicate it on the rear passenger side but not the front tire/suspension.

When I am driving/turning at any speed I do not hear anything or feel any weird vibration. I am not exactly sure what the problem is, I have done some research about KW's and there are cases with knocking issues. Has anyone here experienced this problem? I am going to try and take my car to the shop this weekend to get it looked at.
Have you checked that the rear upper mounts are snug?

There have been many reports of internal noise with the KW's, but your noise seem to be the upper mounts if you can easily duplicated with the vehicle at rest.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

I got the same noise when I just got my V3 installed, noticed it when I open the door and sit in the car in the morning. So I decided to drive to my mechanic to let him take a look, the noise went away after a short drive to the shop. He checked and everything was fine, the noise went away completely after a couple weeks of drive. I DD my car btw. To me it seems like the suspension need to settle after the installation, so don't worry too much about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
I got the same noise when I just got my V3 installed, noticed it when I open the door and sit in the car in the morning. So I decided to drive to my mechanic to let him take a look, the noise went away after a short drive to the shop. He checked and everything was fine, the noise went away completely after a couple weeks of drive. I DD my car btw. To me it seems like the suspension need to settle after the installation, so don't worry too much about it.
Could be a temperature related. Some Koni dampers would be quiet when cold, but start to get noise after some aggressive driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Could be a temperature related. Some Koni dampers would be quiet when cold, but start to get noise after some aggressive driving.
Well its been couple months now and I do not hear the sound anymore. It is cold weather now in SF area so maybe it is the temperature related?