BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Yes, not an apples to apples comparison

Ohlins did just release a track kit slotted in the KW Clubsport price point. I haven't tested it but it looks promising.

Ohlins TTX is of course their true Motorsports level line. FWIW I have had 2 TTX kits on my personal car with zero issues and amazing results.
Can you tell us more about the new offerings?
I always felt Ohlins had a HUGE hole in their line up above the R&T and TTX.
Thanks!
I just ordered one of the first "Dedicated Track" kits to inspect and photo. I should have it by the end of this week or early next week. The kit comes with camber plates and rear upper mounts. My understanding is that the basis of the kit is the R&T damper revalved for the higher spring rates. They are using Swift springs. Note that the R&T doesn't come with camber plates or rear top mounts. I did source the spring rates. Below is a comparison of the rates of some common kits:

Ohlins R&T
Front - 60 nm
Rear - 120 nm

Ohlins Dedicated Track
Front - 120 nm
Rear - 180 nm

KW Club Sport - note that KW changed their rates a few years ago.
Front - 110 nm (used to be 90 nm)
Rear - 120 nm (used to be 140 nm)

Ohlins TTX
Front - custom made to order
Rear - custom made to order
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
//steve\\1074.00
      05-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #24
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I just ordered one of the first "Dedicated Track" kits to inspect and photo. I should have it by the end of this week or early next week. The kit comes with camber plates and rear upper mounts. My understanding is that the basis of the kit is the R&T damper revalved for the higher spring rates. They are using Swift springs. Note that the R&T doesn't come with camber plates or rear top mounts. I did source the spring rates. Below is a comparison of the rates of some common kits:

Ohlins R&T
Front - 60 nm
Rear - 120 nm

Ohlins Dedicated Track
Front - 120 nm
Rear - 180 nm

KW Club Sport - note that KW changed their rates a few years ago.
Front - 110 nm (used to be 90 nm)
Rear - 120 nm (used to be 140 nm)

Ohlins TTX
Front - custom made to order
Rear - custom made to order
Looking forward to your pics and any information on pricing.
As these 2 way or one way coils?
Thanks again!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:46 AM   #25
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expressivedrives View Post
True. E92 is not designed for rear coilover.
You do not need a welded in roll cage to run a true coilover at the rear of E9X.

Nor does the rear axle carrier panel or subframe require any reinforcement. The rear of these cars was over-engineered after the boot floor failures that occurred on the E46. This is particularly true on the E90 which has a stiffer body shell than the E92.

Of course, one should not turn down the benefits of a roll cage in terms of rigidity and safety for hard track use but it is not essential at all to run a true rear coilover on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #26
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reeves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expressivedrives View Post
True. E92 is not designed for rear coilover.
You do not need a welded in roll cage to run a true coilover at the rear of E9X.

Nor does the rear axle carrier panel or subframe require any reinforcement. The rear of these cars was over-engineered after the boot floor failures that occurred on the E46. This is particularly true on the E90 which has a stiffer body shell than the E92.

Of course, one should not turn down the benefits of a roll cage in terms of rigidity and safety for hard track use but it is not essential at all to run a true rear coilover on this platform.
@Mr_Reeves
Are you speaking from experience?
Can you provide more information on your statement?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Quote:

Also curious to see where this info comes from. In speaking with reps from a few companies, cars that are tracked hard are prone to punching out the rear shock mount when using a true rear coilover without reinforcement.

I personally have no experience to speak from, but in this case, I'm inclined to defer to the wisdom of the people who've been testing these cars for a decade.

I will agree, that if you aren't tracking the car crazy hard, you may not NEED reinforcement, but I'd rather know that I won't have any problems, than be hoping that I don't and dealing with an expensive repair bill should my gamble fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'd bet the E9X does not need any reinforcement to run a true coilover, however, I'm not willing to bet on my car which is why I run the divorced rear setup.
Appreciate 3
//steve\\1074.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      05-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #29
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Not personal experience, no.

But I know many who have run a true coilover with a bolt-in cage and/or no cage at all for many years with no issues whatsoever. Many of which having done dozens of Nurburgring trips which is a circuit that is particularly tough on suspension.

I have put this same question of the dangers of running a true coilover without reinforcement to the rear strut tower to the people who have been working on these cars for years and performed bare-shell builds, and they have assured me that the rear of these cars is very strong and does not require reinforcement. I know that is a bit of an appeal to authority fallacy but BMW over-engineered the rears of these cars.

If you want to add extra reinforcement, then by all means. However you do not need to reinforce the rear strut tower in these cars in order for them to safely accept a true coilover.
Appreciate 3
rhyary1563.00
SYT_Shadow11479.50
aus891.50
      05-28-2020, 04:52 AM   #30
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not personal experience, no.

But I know many who have run a true coilover with a bolt-in cage and/or no cage at all for many years with no issues whatsoever. Many of which having done dozens of Nurburgring trips which is a circuit that is particularly tough on suspension.

I have put this same question of the dangers of running a true coilover without reinforcement to the rear strut tower to the people who have been working on these cars for years and performed bare-shell builds, and they have assured me that the rear of these cars is very strong and does not require reinforcement. I know that is a bit of an appeal to authority fallacy but BMW over-engineered the rears of these cars.

If you want to add extra reinforcement, then by all means. However you do not need to reinforce the rear strut tower in these cars in order for them to safely accept a true coilover.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #31
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I was able to speak to AST guys and they run a true coilover for our car.
They said they've always used a true coilover for the E9x series and never had an issue, even in street cars and HPDE street cars.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #32
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

I think it's true you can somewhat safely run a rear coilover on this chassis without reinforcement. The caveat being, it depends on the rear spring rate you're running.

Obviously for these street cars, or dual purpose cars, they'll be using considerably lower spring rates than a true track or race car. As a result, the stress on the unreinforced chassis will be significantly lower.

The real question is, can I run a rear coilover with X spring rate without reinforcing the chassis. Depending on the spring rate you run will determine whether or not reinforcement is required. Frequency of hard track use is also a factor. Even with a lower spring rate a frequently tracked car will experience more stress and may lead to failure over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:09 AM   #33
Willem3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

I know that Intrax said it can be used without problems, they tested it on race cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Yes, not an apples to apples comparison

Ohlins did just release a track kit slotted in the KW Clubsport price point. I haven't tested it but it looks promising.

Ohlins TTX is of course their true Motorsports level line. FWIW I have had 2 TTX kits on my personal car with zero issues and amazing results.
This interests me
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #35
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I think it's true you can somewhat safely run a rear coilover on this chassis without reinforcement. The caveat being, it depends on the rear spring rate you're running.

Obviously for these street cars, or dual purpose cars, they'll be using considerably lower spring rates than a true track or race car. As a result, the stress on the unreinforced chassis will be significantly lower.

The real question is, can I run a rear coilover with X spring rate without reinforcing the chassis. Depending on the spring rate you run will determine whether or not reinforcement is required. Frequency of hard track use is also a factor. Even with a lower spring rate a frequently tracked car will experience more stress and may lead to failure over time.
That's why I copied your rear shock reinforcement! I don't wanna be limited on my spring rate options.
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00