BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

11-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #45
collinc14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

question?

sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread but how did you guys deal with the ends of the boot i mean the spot where the stitching ends? did you just tuck the leftover thread inside the boot? or even glue it or like tie it or just let it dangle? sorry if its a dumb question
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #46
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinc14
sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread but how did you guys deal with the ends of the boot i mean the spot where the stitching ends? did you just tuck the leftover thread inside the boot? or even glue it or like tie it or just let it dangle? sorry if its a dumb question
+1 - I'm having a hard time fitting the ring back on the console base. Anyone have a solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #47
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
+1 - I'm having a hard time fitting the ring back on the console base. Anyone have a solution?
Did you end up working it on there? Was it difficult?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #48
M3Fan1985
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsco View Post
I went to Joann's... found the Gutermann Top Stitch Heavy Duty thread to be the perfect thickness. Bit thicker than what you used. They don't have all the colors, but you can get them online...

#211 True Blue
#266 Brite Navy
#405 Flame Red

Those 3 seem to be the closet color matches in the Heavy Duty thread. Gutermann doesn't make it in every color the SewAll comes in. I used this color chart to determine what was the next closet to the colors you bought. All of the colors with the tiny black dot come in the thinker thread. http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-rv5ea8...0.1280.jpg?c=2

Amazon (higher price but can add on to prime order):
http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Heavy-D.../dp/B004BP6HZ2

Quilting Warehouse (cheap but 7-10 shipping for $1.99):
http://www.quilting-warehouse.com/th...ty-thread.html

Are you able to post pictures of how the final project turned out with the thicker thread and slightly different shades of colors??? I am about to pull the trigger on this project and I also want the "right look." On a side note, has one attempted to do this same project on the M performance steering wheel?? Love the wheel just hate the white stitching. arty 0030:
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #49
bmbarclay
Current M3 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

somebody do a dct!
      09-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #50
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbarclay View Post
somebody do a dct!
I did my DCT and handbrake boots. I’ll post a photo when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #51
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Here's a photo of the DCT boot I made:

Name:  IMG_2877-1.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  409.2 KB

I used a leather awl to stitch the thread (lock stitch) and tiny wood dowels as spacers for the stitches that get pulled towards the center. Without the spacers, it was impossible to keep a consistent length from stitch to stitch. Also, if you instead pull the thread tight, there would not be enough slack for it to be pulled towards the center once you added the center thread.

May 2, 2020:

I have gotten numerous questions about the materials I used for this project and decided to update this post to include that information.

The thread I originally used was that listed in this post: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=34

An alternative, which I might use in other projects (and may be a nicer option) is Serafil 20 (TEX 135) thread (colors 0816, 7463, 0504). Relicate suggests 8235 instead of 7463 but to my eye, 7463 was a better match for the light blue.

For stitching, I used a "Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl" with the small straight needle (#4) from the corresponding needle kit.

I utilized a lock-stitch, which is what the original stitching was.

To keep some slack in the loops that would ultimately get pulled towards the middle, I used toothpick pieces as spacers. However, the toothpick pieces were a bit of a pain (because of small splinters) and would suggest using something like this instead: https://evergreenscalemodels.com/col...olystyrene-rod

An Exacto knife was used to carefully separate the leather from the plastic mounting ring.

As for the adhesive, I used "Loctite Vinyl, Fabric, & Plastic Flexible Adhesive" (1.o oz tube).

This should cover everything!

Last edited by rantarM3; 05-02-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #52
checknate92
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

Attachment 1893084

I used a leather awl to stitch the thread (lock stitch) and tiny wood dowels as spacers for the stitches that get pulled towards the center. Without the spacers, it was impossible to keep a consistent length from stitch to stitch. Also, if you instead pull the thread tight, there would not be enough slack for it to be pulled towards the center once you added the center thread.
Got pics of them with your ebrake handle?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #53
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checknate92 View Post
Got pics of them with your ebrake handle?
Here you go:

Name:  file-12-B.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  596.5 KB
Appreciate 3
ToddinTN504.00
DBLANCO44.50
//steve\\1074.00
      08-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #54
nm
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E90, F10, F30

Quote:

Attachment 1893084

What size were your wood dowels?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #55
Space Fox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Here you go:

Attachment 1908507
Do you have the color codes and manufacturer of the threads you used? Looks to be as close a match as any.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #56
Space Fox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Wanted to provide an update on my experience with this project:

After ordering about 10 different colors altogether the three colors I ended up going with were the 610, 266, and 405. These are nearly identical to the thread colors of the tri-stitching on the steering wheel. I wanted to get as close an OEM match as possible and this seems to be the ticket.

The zip tie holding the e-brake boot to the handle is clipped very tightly. I could not access with wire cutters and went the way of the exacto-knife instead. I was very careful in cutting free the zip tie but still managed to slice a small slit in the leather boot...very unfortunate. If I were to do it again I would recommend cutting down toward the base of the e-brake boot/handle - it will not matter if you mistakenly cut this side of the boot as it will be covered and out of sight. I glued the leather back together but the slit is still slightly noticeable. I may try and see if I can tuck it beneath the zip tie, losing a little material but hiding my unsightly mistake. Will report back. Note: I did use my girlfriend's blow drier to heat the adhesive holding the leather boot to the plastic frame - it helped a lot in separating the two.

I ordered the Gutermann Sew-All Thread. While the colors are a great match the thread is thinner than that of the steering wheel stitching. I ordered the heavy duty variant as well as I heard it was more or less the same thickness as the steering wheel stitching but it has yet to arrive and I have lost patience. Therefore, my remedy was to double up the Sew-All thread which I am actually rather pleased with:

I will say this is more time consuming than anticipated but is actually an enjoyable DIY. I have not sewn anything since I was a kid but now that I have the technique down it should go a little quicker as I finish the e-brake and start on the shift boot. Will report back with the finished product.

Update: The thicker thread came in. It is identical in thickness to that of the steering wheel. Whoops. The dark blue and red match perfectly but the light blue seems to be a little too bright. At this point I've sunk quite a few hours in and think I will forge ahead with doubling up the string on the Sew-All. To find a happy medium I'm going to try and use the thicker dark blue thread instead of doubling as that is really the only area you can notice the doubled thread. Will post pictures once finished.

Last edited by Space Fox; 01-28-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #57
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Finally got around to doing this with my shift boot and e-brake boot. As mentioned, very time consuming, but enjoyable project.

May consider doing this as a service if there's enough interest, for a fee of course
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SoCalRPM885.50