BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #221
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

Just a did you know, FYI type.

Digging around to see what type of blue is presented. It's called Sapphire Metallic blue, and not the deep blue, that's currently in the configurator. I'm curious why it's not present as a regular metallic option? Apparently it will be available a little after launch.... with a couple more choices of interior and exterior colors.

Can someone confirm this, apparently this member SNIG have a lot of insights into Porsche. Can you shed some light into this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #222
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Just talked to my dealer and the earliest US production is March!

So expect late April to May deliveries.

They are getting two Macan S allocations and one Turbo for March production.
I might go for an S...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #223
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984 View Post
Just a did you know, FYI type.

Digging around to see what type of blue is presented. It's called Sapphire Metallic blue, and not the deep blue, that's currently in the configurator. I'm curious why it's not present as a regular metallic option? Apparently it will be available a little after launch.... with a couple more choices of interior and exterior colors.

Can someone confirm this, apparently this member SNIG have a lot of insights into Porsche. Can you shed some light into this. Thanks
Sapphire blue metallic came out for the later 14' Cayman and Carrera productions.
The only other metallic blue currently offered by Porches is dark blue metallic.

Google sapphire blue Cayman or Carrera ...it is very "popping" in sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #224
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I might go for an S...
I'd expect the S to be the high demand model. Might be easier to walk away with a discount on a Turbo since they look damn near identical. Mostly just different components and front fascia (no significant bodywork like with the 911 range).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #225
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Sapphire blue metallic came out for the later 14' Cayman and Carrera productions.
The only other metallic blue currently offered by Porches is dark blue metallic.

Google sapphire blue Cayman or Carrera ...it is very "popping" in sunlight.
On the 6speedonline forums, the Saphire Blue won't be available as an option until October 2014 (!!!) and they will also be adding an additional color,

Impulserot (Impulse RED).

That Aurum color isn't doing anything for me. Would love to have a Macan in Carmine Red. Looks like it will end up being Rhodium Silver...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #226
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have not tried the config yet.
Is GT silver offered as a premium choice?
Rhodium is very nice but be aware of it's blue tone.
GT is their brightest silver and my favorite followed by good old white.

Their Amaranth red was a big flop for the Cayman and Carrera .
Porsche repeat buyers are not into the "colors" that much.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #227
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
On the 6speedonline forums, the Saphire Blue won't be available as an option until October 2014 (!!!) and they will also be adding an additional color,

Impulserot (Impulse RED).

That Aurum color isn't doing anything for me. Would love to have a Macan in Carmine Red. Looks like it will end up being Rhodium Silver...
I'm gonna do agate grey/dark blue on beige, I don't want something flashy. Call me old...before I hit 30. Lol.

I'm most likely going with S, since I want something that;s fun and practical, while not going overboard. Still, I'm going to test drive both.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #228
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^
Have you seen agate in person?
Unique color that has an Army greenish tone in direct sun.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #229
JButtonMCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Porsche noob here but what's the difference between the S and Turbo model, aside from the obvious difference of the Engine/HP? Does the Turbo come with more things standard as opposed to the S model?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #230
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Macan S will absolutely be my next car! Now, if I can just configure one to be under $60k and have everything I want!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #231
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButtonMCL
Porsche noob here but what's the difference between the S and Turbo model, aside from the obvious difference of the Engine/HP? Does the Turbo come with more things standard as opposed to the S model?
Standard PASM, bose, adaptive leather sport seats, PCM (nav), aluminum trim, larger brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #232
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Good site for all things Macan: http://stuttcars.com/porsche-models/macan/
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #233
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The "be gentle" build I came out with was $82,640.
The paint choices must be floating for now. Only rhodium in the silver hues?
One custom color?

The dust will settle soon enough, I suppose .

17.7 cubic feet in luggage area is a bit small.
Price you pay for that roof.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #234
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo
The "be gentle" build I came out with was $82,640.
The paint choices must be floating for now. Only rhodium in the silver hues?
One custom color?

The dust will settle soon enough, I suppose .

17.7 cubic feet in luggage area is a bit small.
Price you pay for that roof.
Yeah, you get a good idea of space from a pic on the stuttcars site listed above, showing a full size stroller sitting in the rear (it's full).

Still, the m3 has 12 cubic feet of trunk for e90s. However, the SQ5 has 29 cubic feet of space in the rear, and the rear bench slides 3 inches and tilts 3 degrees.

Definitely going to have to have seat time before putting any money down.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #235
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Since you already have an X1, perhaps waiting to see if SCOTT's hints about an X1M pan out would make sense? At least from my experience, the X1 is a better drive than the Q5, so using that logic, it's possible that the X1M would be better than the Macan S, or at least be a solid alternative at a lower price than the Macan Turbo.

Of course if you're looking for nicer features and some of the comfort options the Macan has, then the X1M will be far behind.
LOL. Did you know next X1 is FWD, and the X1 M will be a FWD based AWD, like the A/CLA/GLA 43 AMG? No way it'll drive better than the Macan, just no way.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #236
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Since you already have an X1, perhaps waiting to see if SCOTT's hints about an X1M pan out would make sense? At least from my experience, the X1 is a better drive than the Q5, so using that logic, it's possible that the X1M would be better than the Macan S, or at least be a solid alternative at a lower price than the Macan Turbo.

Of course if you're looking for nicer features and some of the comfort options the Macan has, then the X1M will be far behind.
LOL. Did you know next X1 is FWD, and the X1 M will be a FWD based AWD, like the A/CLA/GLA 43 AMG? No way it'll drive better than the Macan, just no way.
The current X1, which of course is rwd. Scott has dropped hints that there might be a late run of M's based on this generation, similar to the way they did the 1M Coupe But thanks for playing, now back to your Lexus cave.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #237
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you get a good idea of space from a pic on the stuttcars site listed above, showing a full size stroller sitting in the rear (it's full).

Still, the m3 has 12 cubic feet of trunk for e90s. However, the SQ5 has 29 cubic feet of space in the rear, and the rear bench slides 3 inches and tilts 3 degrees.

I fell in love with the SQ5 when it came out.
Some reviews on the handling aspects left me scathing my head.
Have not driven, just going off press.

The Macan looks great but beating out a sweet deal, here at years end, on a 13 Cayenne would need investigating.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #238
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:

So it looks like there is a discrepancy between what is being reported on trunk space.

The USA Audi site has the Q5 model listed at 29.1 Cubic feet.

HOWEVER!

The European release lists the Q5 as only having 19.7 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats. Macan is only 17 cubic feet, which makes sense considering the sloping roofline of the Macan.

"The cargo area is one of the Audi Q5′s practical strengths. In its basic configuration it already offers a substantial 540 liters (19.07 cubic ft) of cargo space, which can be used very effectively. The floor is completely flat; the loading lip is only 69 centimeters (27.17 in) high and lies almost flush with the floor. The loading width is an impressive 105 centimeters (41.34 in) even between the wheel arches, and the loading length 93 centimeters (36.31 in)."

This has to be cargo space under the retractable deck lid. So the 17 cubic feet for the Macan must also be under the decklid. No other way to account for a 12 cubic foot difference in what's listed between the Q5 and the Macan.

Last edited by Lorde; 11-22-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #239
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yep.
The Audi having 39% more cargo space does not compute lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #240
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Just talked to my dealer and the earliest US production is March!

So expect late April to May deliveries.

They are getting two Macan S allocations and one Turbo for March production.
That is it for allocations? Porshce better realize this will most likely be their largest volume vehicle. They better get the manufacturing plants going.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #241
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I love my M3 but the winter has arrived and it is losing it's lustre. I was planning to buy it out at the end of my lease (it is a takeover) but my priorities have been changing and I don't think it's the car for me anymore. I like doing a lot of outdoor activities and my M3 has limited me in that regard. It's ski season and I plan to go regularly but I don't prefer to drive my M3 due to RWD, low clearance, and sand and grime. I've done it before but there is a serious impact on the car each time. My wife has an X1 28i, but it's very obnoxious to swap cars, and honestly I kind of hate that thing. Also, if I buy it out it will cost $42000 (residual) plus $4100 in tax (9.8%), and in a year I'll shell out at least $3500 for warranty extension.

So I'm 95% sure I'm going to go for the Macan S. In the mean time, I'm considering trading in my M3 on a cheap car to get me through the next 7 months, allowing me to save up more and take delivery of a Macan in June. I'm looking for something <$20k that I can at least break even on if not gain $500-1000 upon sale/trade in 6-7 months. I found a VW R32 with great winter tires that I'm considering.

So am I crazy to think about giving up my beloved M3? It's everything I wanted it to be except that it just doesn't fully fit my life. I've gone to the track a handful of times and that's really the only place I can get the most out of it but that is costly and has some risk so I'm not too interested in keeping that up just to maximize my M3. Around town it is ok, but it's a ticket magnet and redline in second gear already puts you at 60mph, not smart when 90% of my driving is urban with only about 15% of that open freeawy. So my priorities for a car now seem to be this:

1) Adjustable suspension (and air adjustability on a CUV is just a cherry on top)
2) DCT/PDK transmission
3) Reasonably fast with an exciting powertrain that allows for fun on the street without getting into too much trouble
4) Excellent handling for class
5) Sport seat interior with leather
6) Good audio system
7) space for my medium sized dog in the back
8) Ability to get into the mountains no matter the amount of snow or grime
9) Ability to offroad (light) to get to trails for hiking
10) Ability to put a hitch mount bike rack on the back and take my mountain bikes anywhere
11) A little more interior room would be nice.

So is there anything other than the Macan in that price range? would I completely regret this plan? Anyone think I'm a financial moron for going with a cheaper car for 6-7 months? My wife makes fun of me for changing cars every 2-3 years but I just can't find what suits me best. I sincerely hope the Macan may be the answer.

Our dealer here wants $1500 deposit to get on the list and 10% upon start of production. Seems a bit crazy but Seattle is a different market. They expect first deliveries in April.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #242
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I love my M3 but the winter has arrived and it is losing it's lustre. I was planning to buy it out at the end of my lease (it is a takeover) but my priorities have been changing and I don't think it's the car for me anymore. I like doing a lot of outdoor activities and my M3 has limited me in that regard. It's ski season and I plan to go regularly but I don't prefer to drive my M3 due to RWD, low clearance, and sand and grime. I've done it before but there is a serious impact on the car each time. My wife has an X1 28i, but it's very obnoxious to swap cars, and honestly I kind of hate that thing. Also, if I buy it out it will cost $42000 (residual) plus $4100 in tax (9.8%), and in a year I'll shell out at least $3500 for warranty extension.

So I'm 95% sure I'm going to go for the Macan S. In the mean time, I'm considering trading in my M3 on a cheap car to get me through the next 7 months, allowing me to save up more and take delivery of a Macan in June. I'm looking for something <$20k that I can at least break even on if not gain $500-1000 upon sale/trade in 6-7 months. I found a VW R32 with great winter tires that I'm considering.

So am I crazy to think about giving up my beloved M3? It's everything I wanted it to be except that it just doesn't fully fit my life. I've gone to the track a handful of times and that's really the only place I can get the most out of it but that is costly and has some risk so I'm not too interested in keeping that up just to maximize my M3. Around town it is ok, but it's a ticket magnet and redline in second gear already puts you at 60mph, not smart when 90% of my driving is urban with only about 15% of that open freeawy. So my priorities for a car now seem to be this:

1) Adjustable suspension (and air adjustability on a CUV is just a cherry on top)
2) DCT/PDK transmission
3) Reasonably fast with an exciting powertrain that allows for fun on the street without getting into too much trouble
4) Excellent handling for class
5) Sport seat interior with leather
6) Good audio system
7) space for my medium sized dog in the back
8) Ability to get into the mountains no matter the amount of snow or grime
9) Ability to offroad (light) to get to trails for hiking
10) Ability to put a hitch mount bike rack on the back and take my mountain bikes anywhere
11) A little more interior room would be nice.

So is there anything other than the Macan in that price range? would I completely regret this plan? Anyone think I'm a financial moron for going with a cheaper car for 6-7 months? My wife makes fun of me for changing cars every 2-3 years but I just can't find what suits me best. I sincerely hope the Macan may be the answer.

Our dealer here wants $1500 deposit to get on the list and 10% upon start of production. Seems a bit crazy but Seattle is a different market. They expect first deliveries in April.
Why is it obnoxious to swap cars for the weekend? I understand being an outdoors guy but do you need an SUV every single weekend?

I do like the Macan a lot though. Just not sure I'd want to go to a 2 CUV garage personally. But my lifestyle is totally different, the M3 is perfect for me.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0