BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP 6SPD

Perfect exhaust without CEL

Hello all, I am new to owning my 2011 E90 M3 and would just like some advice on exhaust setups that will not throw a CEL or cause other issues. I have been going over the forums for the last few weeks but honestly find the amount of exhaust combinations a little overwhelming and do not know where to start.

I am looking to get the best bang for my buck honestly with a budget being about 2500 for everything max. I have played with the valvetronic idea but also am curious about test and X-pipes. My main concern is I would like something with noticeable power, and increased rasp and sound overall over stock without causing a check engine or throwing codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Keep in mind that once you mess with Cats, theres no guarantee you wont get a CEL. Its hard to get noticable power differences without touching cats. So you have to work Cat back in order to stay legal and not worry about CELs. You may get away with high flow cats in place of stock cats. You would be likely to throw codes if you went below a 300 cell cat. 200 cells are in the middle and some work without a CEL and others dont. Its hit or miss. You have just a ton of options, and this is so subjective that you will get multiple recommendations. I have a magnaflow set up with resonators. Its not raspy at all as I didnt want that. Its boomy and growly but loud within reason. Borla atak is popular on here and is more raspy.

Check Youtube for m3 exhaust videos to get yourself started and narrow down the choices. Its always best when possible to hear in person.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 06-17-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Bang for the buck is $200 test pipes in place of 400 cell front cats. Leave the rear cats in place. Swap the test pipe out for the front cats for inspection. Buy a tune to maximize the gains. Tunes run from $300 for a Dinan stage 1 on sale to $600 for a group buy from another tuner to $900-1000 usual price from various tuners.

Beware a catless aftermarket X pipe even with 4 resonators plus an aftermarket rear exhaust will be loud. Rear exhaust adds the least power.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

If you want a cheap way to avoid a CEL with test pipes then you can always pick up a Akrapovic delete R device. Either that or have it turned out for about $500 bucks. I'm selling a delete R right now if you think that's the route you want to go for half the price of a tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Aftermarket xpipe with high flow cats in the primary position with a mild rear section like a Corsa would be perfect for you. Borla atak is another nice rear section for short money. A decent amount of used pieces for sale on here to save some $ because for a full system 2500$ is not enough. High flow cats are more expensive than non catted pipes.

You will get a cel with the test pipes as stated above. A tune to eliminate it or a delete-r will still cause you to fail inspection if your state does inspections.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Aftermarket xpipe with high flow cats in the primary position with a mild rear section like a Corsa would be perfect for you. Borla atak is another nice rear section for short money. A decent amount of used pieces for sale on here to save some $ because for a full system 2500$ is not enough. High flow cats are more expensive than non catted pipes.

You will get a cel with the test pipes as stated above. A tune to eliminate it or a delete-r will still cause you to fail inspection if your state does inspections.
would you recommend something like the Active Autowerk Xpipe with high flow cats and a axle back exhaust about right price range and sound wise? I would of course get a tune for the CEL if need be for the high flow cats...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japresto91 View Post
would you recommend something like the Active Autowerk Xpipe with high flow cats and a axle back exhaust about right price range and sound wise? I would of course get a tune for the CEL if need be for the high flow cats...
Ya that would be a good setup. You wouldn't need a tune with this setup. You should be able to watch a Youtube video of this setup to be sure you like the sound. Put headphones in while watching the video for better audio. Looks like that setup is about 3200$ new but showing the xpipe sold out.

Most xpipes with HFC in the primary position will work for you. To be sure that it is in the primary position there should be o2 sensor bungs before and after the cat and it should be located up near the headers.

A tune for the CEL won't work for you if you are still in your listed location of California. You will never pass inspection as the rediness monitor for catalyst will never go to ready. As I said previously, stay away from the tunes for CEL unless you live in a state with no state inspection like Florida.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

No guarantees, but the aFe 300cell catted xpipe hasn't thrown a CEL on my car in more than a year and 10,000 miles

If you don't want it to be absurdly loud I'd stick with a stock muffler with any xpipe to start and see how you like it. The aFe increases sound and rasps a bit more than the stock xpipe. It also doesn't fit super awesome.

Another option might be somebody else's aftermarket x with aftermarket 300cell cats welded in the stock location.

You can get a back box to match later once you know how much "more" you want.

Last edited by Richbot; 06-18-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
No guarantees, but the aFe 300cell catted xpipe hasn't thrown a CEL on my car in more than a year and 10,000 miles

If you don't want it to be absurdly loud I'd stick with a stock muffler with any xpipe to start and see how you like it. The aFe increases sound and rasps a bit more than the stock xpipe. It also doesn't fit super awesome.

Another option might be somebody else's aftermarket x with aftermarket 300cell cats welded in the stock location.

You can get a back box to match later once you know how much "more" you want.
So just for reference I was driving a N51 128i 3.0. I had deleted secondary cats in that car as well as the muffler to just incorporate straight piping and exhaust tips. car had a lot of burbles and pops and backfire on decel, Some might think it was too much but I loved how it sounded and was on it all the time, Now I know this is a V8 so im just wondering if deleting the mufflers on the E90 and maybe running the pulley kit and a tune would give me what im looking for without the loss of torque that might come from deleting the muffler on its own?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

FWIW I ran the Active Autowerke X-Pipe and had no CEL, sounded great paired with Akrapovic muffler.
      06-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #11
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

meisterschaft gt2 sounds good with oem x pipe. Even eisenmann race.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #12
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

FWIW: have active autowerk race xpipe(no primary or secondary cats)paired with stock muffler, i love the sound, dosent get really loud until you really put your foot down. their tune took care of CEL

in my opinion any aftermarket muffler is purely for acoustics, there is very little if any hp gains compared to stock, not worth the $$ if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
FWIW: have active autowerk race xpipe(no primary or secondary cats)paired with stock muffler, i love the sound, dosent get really loud until you really put your foot down. their tune took care of CEL

in my opinion any aftermarket muffler is purely for acoustics, there is very little if any hp gains compared to stock, not worth the $$ if you ask me
I was mainly talking possibly just delete the muffler entirely and then picking up andrews tune at Alpine and doing the underdrive pulley with that to make up for torque loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Muffler delete sounds awful. This is an m3 not a Civic. Should not be deleting anything.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Muffler delete sounds awful. This is an m3 not a Civic. Should not be deleting anything.
I understand, I was mainly leaning this route simply because of Price and its also weight savings, no different than an ACM mod?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
Inluvwithastr1pper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japresto91 View Post
I understand, I was mainly leaning this route simply because of Price and its also weight savings, no different than an ACM mod?
I vote no on this idea. The ACM mod still has its sound deadening fibers and shell to refine the sound. Just the delete would sound like crap.

Sound is very subjective. My recommendation is try to go to a local meet or meet up with local members and hear the various set ups in person. With a limited budget, you don't want to be changing things up constantly if it's not giving you the sound you want.

My setup is Afe HFC x-pipe paired with a megan exhaust. Rarely get a CEL and when I do I just clear it with a code reader (something you should have anyways). Has a nice exotic tone, not too loud when idling but screams when over 3-4K rpm. It's my 3rd setup. Very happy with it sound wise.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #17
Adriano917
09 M3 e93 VF650, e30 e85, Remus, Federal’s 595rs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

why not go with the Megan $590, test pipes $400, tune $800(delete CEL).
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

I will certainly look into the megans and the x pipe ideas immediately, I really do appreciate the input guys! I plan to do some car and coffee meets as well as meet up with other E9X owners in my area for that exact reason, Only reason I leaned heavily on muffler delete was weight savings and the fact that I live in California so I don't know what the hassle would be with an entire cat system delete unless I used HFC xpipe. will do more research and move forward then. with this car there are just so many variations it becomes a bit of a headache when trying to narrow down to a specific setup. Again I appreciate every ones time, If you have more to add I would greatly appreciate it as everything is being taken into consideration!
Appreciate 0