BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Bilstein PSS10 Revalved

I did some digging and just wanted to see if anyone had Revalved their PSS10s for higher spring rates. These seem to be a pretty good option vs Ohlins, KWs, etc in the $2k range. Anyone know how the piston diameters vary between the PSS and the clubsports? I had PSS9s on my car before my KW setup and they rocked as a dual purpose coil and that was with stock springs. I like the idea of a reliable, strong and rebuildable shock like Bilstein on my car.

These are probably the most bullet proof mono tube south of $3k, I know they're only rebound adjustable but compression adjustment has never helped me as much I would like (I've also never run 3 way adjustable coils with high and low speed adjustment) and/or been able to dial them in for a full day on track with similar track/weather conditions.

I am heavily considering these with linear springs, GC camber plates and a reputable revalve of these vs MCS singles. I don't want to deal with pulling off my setup for rebuilds every 1-2yrs.
      11-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

I like the way you think, but I do put Ohlins right there with Bilstein for bomb-proof monotube performance. Honestly, for the price point, the Ohlins R&T are incredible, and if you buy from a place like PSI (Performance Shock), they will re-valve the Ohlins for you. Saves you shipping costs and convenient, and they are probably one of the best shock servicing providers in the country, and would probably match any lower pricing found.

Had I not absolutely wanted double adjustables, I prob would have gotten a set of re-valved Ohlins and springs, and called it a day.

There is a reason that Bilstein and Ohlins R&T are both OEM suppliers for high performance applications. The notion that you must be some little, boutique shock company, in order to provide outstanding Clubsport/Racing shock performance is some hipster-bullshit.

Just my .02.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar

Last edited by Mvez; 11-01-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
buddalun679.00
      11-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
I like the way you think, but I do put Ohlins right there with Bilstein for bomb-proof monotube performance. Honestly, for the price point, the Ohlins R&T are incredible, and if you buy from a place like PSI (Performance Shock), they will re-valve the Ohlins for you. Saves you shipping costs and convenient, and they are probably one of the best shock servicing providers in the country, and would probably match any lower pricing found.

Had I not absolutely wanted double adjustables, I would have gotten a set of re-valved Ohlins and springs, and called it a day.

There is a reason that Bilstein and Ohlins R&T are both OEM suppliers for high performance applications. The notion that you must be some little, boutique shock company, in order to provide outstanding Clubsport/Racing shock performance is some hipster-bullshit.

Just my .02.
Hahahahah the hipster train.... yeah the AST/Moton/MCS train is rolling strong right now. I'm actively working with PSI to figure out my new setup. I've been talking with them about revalving the R&Ts (and figuring out shock diameter to check wheel clearances) but I just started to consider the Bilsteins. I'm just done with the KWs as I don't think I gain enough the warrant the Nasa points for a dual adjustable Coilover and really want to move to a monotube shock.

I just hate seeing people fall for the marketing so hard - KW is a great marketing machine but when comparing their clubsports to even the PSS10 I think they're subbpar when looking at them through an objective engineering lens. Do you know if the (B16) PSS10 shock compares to the Bilstein clubsport shocks?