BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

09-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Black Armour Helmets... Anyone try them?

It's time for a new Helmet and these seem to pretty decent and carbon fiber. I'm happy with my Bell, but this is has my interest.
Just wondering if anyone has one or has checked them out?
How's the quality of the foam/padding. How does it run in sizing?

https://blackarmorhelmets.com/

Thanks for any input.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
A couple of us from San Diego BMWCCA went to visit Winding Road up in the L.A. area last weekend. Based on what was on their website, I wanted to check out the Black Armor helmet. The carbon fiber helmet is cheaper than most of its competitors, so you know its going to be slightly lower end than some others. Long story short, I ended up buying the carbon fiber model after trying on that helmet and a couple others.

The most comfortable helmet I tried on was a Simpson Devil Ray helmet. But it was at least 50% more expensive than than the BA. I didn't feel like paying that extra premium. The guy at Winding Road said that they asked BA to make the non-CF version of their helmet. The non-CF version uses less expensive materials both inside and out. So if you're going to get BA, you should probably go for the CF version.

BA also offers different colored visors and WR carries them. The helmet came with a clear visor, I also bought the 'iridium' color which I plan to keep on there.

My head size is between 'L' and 'XL'. In the Simpson and other helmets, the 'L' felt about right. In the BA helmet, 'XL' was the best fit for me. So you might want to go a size up if you're trying the helmet without testing it.

I haven't used the helmet 'for real' yet. I'll be doing autocross in a couple weekends and then a weekend at Buttonwillow at the end of October, 2016. Will find out there what other issues there are with the helmet.

My previous helmet was an open-faced model. This will be my first closed-face helmet. I tried it for 30 minutes driving around my neighborhood with the helmet on. Didn't have any other issues other than the normal reduction in visibility. I wonder if anyone noticed I was driving around the streets with a helmet? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
I wonder if anyone noticed I was driving around the streets with a helmet? lol
Lol I did the same thing when I got my helmet, HANS, and harness. I didn't even get to drive 100 yards before someone stopped me and asked why I was wearing a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
A couple of us from San Diego BMWCCA went to visit Winding Road up in the L.A. area last weekend. Based on what was on their website, I wanted to check out the Black Armor helmet. The carbon fiber helmet is cheaper than most of its competitors, so you know its going to be slightly lower end than some others. Long story short, I ended up buying the carbon fiber model after trying on that helmet and a couple others.

The most comfortable helmet I tried on was a Simpson Devil Ray helmet. But it was at least 50% more expensive than than the BA. I didn't feel like paying that extra premium. The guy at Winding Road said that they asked BA to make the non-CF version of their helmet. The non-CF version uses less expensive materials both inside and out. So if you're going to get BA, you should probably go for the CF version.

BA also offers different colored visors and WR carries them. The helmet came with a clear visor, I also bought the 'iridium' color which I plan to keep on there. I really wanted to try on all the helmets they have.

My head size is between 'L' and 'XL'. In the Simpson and other helmets, the 'L' felt about right. In the BA helmet, 'XL' was the best fit for me. So you might want to go a size up if you're trying the helmet without testing it.

I haven't used the helmet 'for real' yet. I'll be doing autocross in a couple weekends and then a weekend at Buttonwillow at the end of October, 2016. Will find out there what other issues there are with the helmet.

My previous helmet was an open-faced model. This will be my first closed-face helmet. I tried it for 30 minutes driving around my neighborhood with the helmet on. Didn't have any other issues other than the normal reduction in visibility. I wonder if anyone noticed I was driving around the streets with a helmet? lol
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to make it to that event, but was working. Did they give a discount that day?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 09-26-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

For anyone who's tried them on, how do they fit?
I have a Bell now that fits me well. Tried on Arai and HJC and they killed my ears.
Just wondering if they are wider like the Bell or narrower like the others?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I have a Bell now that fits me well. Tried on Arai and HJC and they killed my ears.
Thanks
I have them (Black Armor) and I had HJCs before them. They have very soft and cushy liners compared to HJC. Fit is on the snug side but not uncomfortable. You can get thinner or thicker cheek pads to customize.

The "neck" pad on the bottom of the helmet tend to catch my ear when I put it on and take it off, but that pad is removable (and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm wearing it). Due to the more "snug" fit I ditched my Sparco head condom and changed to an Alpinestar head condom (much thinner material) and that seems to work just fine.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      10-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

I recently purchased a SA2015 Circuit Pro and have used it a number of times.

I am very pleased with the comfort and performance of the helmet both in open wheel (karting) and closed cockpit (my M3 and 1M for HPDE stuff).

I found the sizing guide on the BA website to be spot-on.

Here is mine with the blue iridium shield. I will likely switch back to clear (came with clear, too):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      10-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
I recently purchased a SA2015 Circuit Pro and have used it a number of times.

I am very pleased with the comfort and performance of the helmet both in open wheel (karting) and closed cockpit (my M3 and 1M for HPDE stuff).

I found the sizing guide on the BA website to be spot-on.

Here is mine with the blue iridium shield. I will likely switch back to clear (came with clear, too):
How much was that bad boy?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have them (Black Armor) and I had HJCs before them. They have very soft and cushy liners compared to HJC. Fit is on the snug side but not uncomfortable. You can get thinner or thicker cheek pads to customize.

The "neck" pad on the bottom of the helmet tend to catch my ear when I put it on and take it off, but that pad is removable (and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm wearing it). Due to the more "snug" fit I ditched my Sparco head condom and changed to an Alpinestar head condom (much thinner material) and that seems to work just fine.
Thanks. That helps.
I don't think it'll work for me since the HJC was way too narrow for my big head around the crown of the head.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
It's time for a new Helmet and these seem to pretty decent and carbon fiber. I'm happy with my Bell, but this is has my interest.
Just wondering if anyone has one or has checked them out?
How's the quality of the foam/padding. How does it run in sizing?

https://blackarmorhelmets.com/

Thanks for any input.

Honestly, everyone's heads are shaped differently. Just because a Bell fits you well doesn't mean it will fit someone else well. Best thing to do is measure, order, and check the fitment. Send it back if it's not right. Every brand has a slightly different shell design.

As far as safety goes, if it meets SA2015, you're fine. An SA2015-certified Bell is, in theory, as safe as an SA2015-certified Stilo. What you are paying for in more expensive helmets is weight savings and customizability (e.g. forced air ducts, intercom, better aero).
      10-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Honestly, everyone's heads are shaped differently. Just because a Bell fits you well doesn't mean it will fit someone else well. Best thing to do is measure, order, and check the fitment. Send it back if it's not right. Every brand has a slightly different shell design.

As far as safety goes, if it meets SA2015, you're fine. An SA2015-certified Bell is, in theory, as safe as an SA2015-certified Stilo. What you are paying for in more expensive helmets is weight savings and customizability (e.g. forced air ducts, intercom, better aero).
I agree totally with these observations. I've tried on a Black Armor helmet and really could see the value in terms of weight reduction. While most of my use is in autocross where you can get away with a heavier model as you wear it for short periods of time, when I do a track days I'm reminded why I should have swung a lighter helmet.
      10-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
thedge9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 MT

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

THIS

However, has anyone who has this helmet noticed where it is manufactured? My guess is China. Even with the crash standards certification this would give me pause for two reasons.

Its your brain.

We all know how Chinese manufactures like to cut corners on consistency.
      10-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedge9 View Post
THIS

However, has anyone who has this helmet noticed where it is manufactured? My guess is China. Even with the crash standards certification this would give me pause for two reasons.

Its your brain.

We all know how Chinese manufactures like to cut corners on consistency.

China is perfectly capable of manufacturing quality products. Just because a helmet is made in China doesn't disqualify it from being safe.

Bell is made in Bahrain now, I believe, FWIW.
      10-22-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
Thanks

Does it feel more real now with the alpine stars?
      10-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Does it feel more real now with the alpine stars?
Haha, that's the funniest post I've seen in here in years.
Appreciate 0