BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #89
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

First 600 miles

Hi folks

I got my car last Friday evening

So far, on my normal daily commute and driving the same style as before I'm averaging 23.2 mpg according to the trip computer. Now, the interesting bit is that, given that my last new M3 was way over 4 years ago, I can't honestly recall how the fuel consumption went during the run-in process. I'm pretty sure it was equally bad, but just can't remember. I'll keep you posted as the miles go on, but my last M3 didn't fully loosen up till around 10k miles ....

Cheers .. DC
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #90
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've been averaging around 15mpg or so driving round London, but managed 22 on a trip to Gatwick recently, mostly at triple figure speeds, so not really too bad! It's definitely a lot better than my M5 or M6. I struggled to get them into double figures around London...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #91
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Mkoesel - do you concede defeat? I think there is ample data that shows the new M3 is worse than the E46 M3 for fuel economy.

$100 or do you want to work out alternative payment?
I was going to say we should just wait for theRealDC, but he posted just after you. Seems you were a bit pre-cognitive there.

However, he did mention the break-in period. You want to wait 'til that's over? If not, PM your email, I will paypal you the money.

Like I said above, you will probably win the bet. The spirit of my post was that people are over-reacting about mileage. I am just happy to hear he is getting 23+ with the car. That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching. The best I have EVER gotten with my E46 was 24, and that was when I used to have a driving mix with 90% highway.

Keep us posted on your mileage RealDC.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #92
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

And BTW, RealDC, post pics of your car!! Maybe start a new thread, give your opinions. I am interested to hear what options you have and how it compares to the E46.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #93
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I was going to say we should just wait for theRealDC, but he posted just after you. Seems you were a bit pre-cognitive there.

However, he did mention the break-in period. You want to wait 'til that's over? If not, PM your email, I will paypal you the money.

Like I said above, you will probably win the bet. The spirit of my post was that people are over-reacting about mileage. I am just happy to hear he is getting 23+ with the car. That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching. The best I have EVER gotten with my E46 was 24, and that was when I used to have a driving mix with 90% highway.

The official BMW numbers also say the E92 M3 eats more fuel....

I don't want your money, I would like you to put on Type R stickers or RS4 stickers on your BMW and post the high-rez photos....
      09-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #94
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching.
I definately fit this category, infact, I am the OP. Maybe I am too hopeful about newer generation DFI, we shall see when Porsche releases it in the 997, 987. I will continue to have high expectations with manufactures to get the best mileage out of their high performance powplants, especially since gas prices in the states are likely to reach +$4 a gallon for regular unleaded in the near future. I know we are lucky here in the States.
You have a 335, it gets amazing mileage vs it's competition thanks to DFI and biturbos. The M3 actually looks like it will also get good mileage compared to other V8's with the exception being the amazing 6.2 litre LS3 in the Vette. BMW better not be lying about the 8% increase in fuel efficiency of the M3 over the E46 or it might be enough to tip the scales for me in another direction. One must take into account the 08 EPA mileage ratings are more accurate and therefore mileage is rated lower than previous years. So when comparing the E92 to the E46 one must take this into account and make the necessary adustments. Kiplinger has a excellent website for this:

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/gas_mileage/
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #95
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't want your money, I would like you to put on Type R stickers or RS4 stickers on your BMW and post the high-rez photos....
Aha, well that wasn't the bet we agreed on though. The magic number, for non-monetary bets was 22.5mpg. I gave you the opportunity to take it, but you did not.

I have conceded the bet, and am fully prepared to honor it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #96
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I definately fit this category, infact, I am the OP.
Aha, so you are ruff, so you are. Nothing personal meant to you in particular. You are cool by me. I don't share your passion for fuel efficiency in performance cars, but I can respect your opinion. Even if its wrong.

Quote:
You have a 335, it gets amazing mileage vs it's competition thanks to DFI and biturbos.
Ah, but the rub there is that the mileage is no better than the M3. True story.

Quote:
BMW better not be lying about the 8% increase in fuel efficiency of the M3 over the E46 or it might be enough to tip the scales for me in another direction.
That may turn out to be just a bit of BMW's famous creative marketing. Remember, we have already seen how the weight reduction market-speak has played out in the real world. These BMW PR folks do talk a good talk!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #97
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Question

Quote:
Aha, well that wasn't the bet we agreed on though. The magic number, for non-monetary bets was 22.5mpg. I gave you the opportunity to take it, but you did not.

I have conceded the bet, and am fully prepared to honor it.

I truly don't want your money.

To filful your end of the bargain, can you please donate the $100 to a registered charity of your choice with the donor as "M3Post.COM"?

If you post a pic / scan of the receipt, I would consider your end of the obligation fulfilled. You can then also write off against your income taxes.

Deal?
      09-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #98
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I truly don't want your money.

To filful your end of the bargain, can you please donate the $100 to a registered charity of your choice with the donor as "M3Post.COM"?

If you post a pic / scan of the receipt, I would consider your end of the obligation fulfilled. You can then also write off against your income taxes.

Deal?
Hey, what a nice idea. Sure, absolutely. Give me a couple days to complete the transaction.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #99
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Done. The receipt does not mention M3Post.com, but I left a note in the comment field to explain that.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #100
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Done. The receipt does not mention M3Post.com, but I left a note in the comment field to explain that.

Cheers

KUDOs and Cheers mate!!!
      09-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #101
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Gentlemen

Wow, what true gentlemen we have here on m3post.com! Hat's off guys for the civility, honor and good sportsmanship!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #102
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, what true gentlemen we have here on m3post.com! Hat's off guys for the civility, honor and good sportsmanship!

Cheers...

I don't think Schneid4323 thinks I am gentleman