BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

02-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #45
Space Fox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 Space Grey e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Cars coming along great!

As for the 10mm rear spacer, there are only some 10mm that will work on the rear of BMW's. I recommend stepping up to a 12mm for the rear, the write-up Evo13 linked is 100% correct.

I ran a generic 10mm on the rear of my E92 back in the day and it looked like it fit but there was the tiniest gap that I did not notice. Until a friend was driving next to me and said my rear wheels were wobbling, swapped to a 12mm and fixed the issue.
My 10mm on the rears don't seem to be a problem. 12mm on the front was my issue, could not get steering vibration to stop.

Thank you though! Very happy with how the car currently sits. I like that I'm down to the smaller mods now that I have the OEM+ look I was going for. That being said I still can't stop buying stuff..I have an issue. Just purchased a new OEM chrome/pearl grey iDrive ring to replace mine - the one that came with the car is starting to bubble (part #65829353030). Bugs me and found it's only a $40 part and a quick DIY to fix. Also ordered the OEM silver tinted turn signal bulbs (part #63217161306) to eliminate some of the egg yolk look up front. Didn't want to go LED. Wasn't going to pull the trigger on the bulbs yet but it got me free shipping so here we are..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #46
M3_Slayer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantp View Post
I could not get my steering to stop vibrating and ended up taking the 12mm spacers off the front wheels. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with different methods and the vibrations persisted. Vibration was only noticeable around 80-85 mph but it was enough to be concerning. Also makes you lose confidence in the car which I hated. I am still running the 10mm on the rears - the steering vibration is gone but I will likely end up taking those off as well. After my experience it is hard for me to believe that so many on this forum claim they are running spacers with no issues at all. I stopped short of doing a stud conversion and alignment as I just didn't feel it was worth it. Maybe I'm just a buffoon but I've installed spacers on my old 335 without any issues, this one has me stumped..

appreciate the feedback might just go with wider tires
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #47
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Quote:
I could not get my steering to stop vibrating and ended up taking the 12mm spacers off the front wheels. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with different methods and the vibrations persisted. Vibration was only noticeable around 80-85 mph but it was enough to be concerning. Also makes you lose confidence in the car which I hated. I am still running the 10mm on the rears - the steering vibration is gone but I will likely end up taking those off as well. After my experience it is hard for me to believe that so many on this forum claim they are running spacers with no issues at all. I stopped short of doing a stud conversion and alignment as I just didn't feel it was worth it. Maybe I'm just a buffoon but I've installed spacers on my old 335 without any issues, this one has me stumped..
I heard future classic spacers were much better but front vibration after installing spacers can also be cause by weak FCAB's. Switching to a monoball or poly FCAB can fix it.
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #48
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Another minor journal update. Continuing to knock out some details to get the car just where I'd like it to be. One of the more noticeable imperfections upon purchase of the car was the bubbling of the 'chrome ring' around the iDrive knob. While the car was incredibly maintained and appeared to be garaged its entire life, this one bugged me mostly because I notice it every time I drive the car. I figured I would have to live with it as it was over $350 to replace the iDrive controls and this small imperfection did not justify the cost. Thanks to this forum after some quick research I found that this was a common problem and one easily remedied with a $40 replacement part. I ordered the 'Pearl Grey' version of the chrome ring from FCP Euro (Part #65829353030). When I initially opened the package the ring looked too chrome and I was convinced I was sent the wrong part. Upon removal and comparison to the original damaged ring my fears were quelled as the part was actually less chrome and more grey than the original. It is difficult to tell the difference but if it will help the next guy the correct part # is 65829353029.

Before:

After:

Photo of the replacement process:

The DIY was very simple. Pry up the center console to a point where you can reach the tabs holding the iDrive controls in place. Release all 8 tabs (can use your fingers) and drop the iDrive controls down. This will give you access to the four tabs holding the ring in place, I used a small screw driver to release these tabs which freed the damaged chrome ring. Pop the new one in, reverse the process. Easy as that. Very happy with the results. Now the only thing bugging me about the interior is some small scuff marks on the leather center console near the e-brake handle from the previous owner...not sure how to address these as they're too small of a detail to replace the entire console piece. Maybe some leather repair will work. Always something!

Next up was eliminating the 'egg yolk' look caused by the OEM indicator bulbs. I toyed around with the idea of modifying the headlights entirely but actually think most are overdone and take away from the OEM+ look I am going for. I also don't care for the LED solutions on the market. Thus I chose to stick with a BMW OEM solution - part #63217161306. Simple BMW indicator bulb with a thin silver film coating. The result is exactly what I am going for and I am quite happy with it.

Before:

After:

Part comparison:

Again a very simple install. Only pain is that you have to remove the front wheels to access the turn signal housing...leave it to Germans. I suppose you could do the job with simply turning the wheels but I just bought a new jack and after my spacers debacle I'm becoming quite proficient in wheel removal. The new indicator bulbs perform exactly as OEM but eliminate the egg yolk look. Weird how the small details can be so satisfying. The car is really coming together and I couldn't be happier.

Next up is some maintenance items before my next track day at the FIRM in North Florida. I plan on replacing the spark plugs along with an oil change to prep the car. After that my next big expenditure will likely be rod bearings, motor mounts, and transmission seal. The car only has 46k miles on it. May hold off until 50k. Cosmetically I think I'm done for a while. Performance is just about where I'd like it to be as well. I will likely add a set of underdrive pulleys if I ever get bored with it and the Eventuri Carbon Plenum keeps calling my name...we'll see.

EDIT: Figured out how to get the video to work.

Last thing - took a buddy for a spin over the weekend. This seems to be everyones reaction to their first ride in the ///M - uncontrollable laughter and giggling. I like to call it unadulterated joy.

Last edited by Space Fox; 05-20-2020 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Trouble posting video
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #49
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Had some free time with the corona madness going on. Was able to replace the spark plugs and give her a nice wash. I would have never tackled the spark plug job on my own without this forum and I'm grateful for those that contributed to the DIY thread. Was really a straightforward job. I didn't run in to many issues at all. Took about 2.5 hours total taking my time and being very careful. Not going to lie, was nervous upon initial start up after the job was done but she's code free and running smooth as silk.

The old plugs were not terrible but as mentioned before the service records only showed a 'cleaning' at 30k miles. With the car now at 46k I figured it would be worth the $80 to replace them if the car was in fact still on the originals.

I went ahead and detailed the engine bay while I had everything apart:

A beautiful thing!

I think I've officially made up my mind about the Eventuri plenum.. I need to have it. Will be my next major mod. Until then I have a track day scheduled in April barring cancellation and a photo shoot hopefully happening this weekend.

I'll finish with a couple of shots of the car after cleaning - I realize that I never really get to see the car in the sun as I typically drive it from garage to garage during the weekend. I do love this Space Grey paint.

Appreciate 2
      04-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #50
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Well. This happened quicker than I planned but I'm glad to have it done. I decided to go ahead with the rod bearing replacement while everything is slowed down. Had Vortex Motorsport perform the work here in Tampa. They have done about a thousand of these at their shop and work on my buddy's GT3 Cup cars so I trust these guys. The car has about 46,600 miles on the odo. I was going to wait until 55k but not for any particular reason. Figured I'd just let it rip. Gave them a call, put in an order for the ECS BE bearing replacement kit, and dropped the car off yesterday. They knocked out the work including new motor mounts while they were in there and the car is currently going back together. The bearings are a little worse than I had expected given the mileage but honestly I'm just happy to know the last guy hadn't already had them done!
I have grown to really appreciate how special this platform is - particularly the S65 - and wouldn't forgive myself if I let something happen to this motor out of negligence. Happy I'll be able to enjoy it worry free for the foreseeable future. Long live the e92 and long live the S65! Now I'm just deciding when I want to blow another 2 grand on the Eventuri plenum...ugh

Appreciate 2
      04-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #51
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Car looks great - I'm a big fan of the OEM+ look.

Your car is a perfect candidate for a OEM Euro bumper
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      04-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #52
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Car looks great - I'm a big fan of the OEM+ look.

Your car is a perfect candidate for a OEM Euro bumper
Sheesh don't I know it.. I will probably end up replacing it with a Euro bumper along the way, more worried about a good paint match than anything. At this point I've come to accept the rock chips and bumper holes from those damn Virginia plates - character I think some say?

I appreciate the feedback though. Really happy with the way the car looks and drives at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #53
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Just doing the math and I've had the car for over 7 months at this point. I've done much more than I thought I would going in to it in that time period but I am so happy with how the car currently sits and really just the car in general. Been testing my patience/restraint as I work through the 500 mile break in period on the new bearings. In that time I've focused on improving my detailing routine and really getting the car looking its best. Just such a spectacular machine from the looks to the feel, handling, sound, motor, the visceral nature. I truly enjoy this car and see myself doing so for quite a long time. Looking back I'm grateful I jumped on this particular model when I had the opportunity. I really hadn't been looking that long and didn't even sit in the car before making the purchase. A risky move at the time but one that has paid off in every way as the car has run like an absolute dream and the spec is to die for.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #54
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Been testing my patience/restraint as I work through the 500 mile break in period on the new bearings.
Just FYI, there is no break-in period for new rod bearings, or at least there shouldn't be. There's nothing to break in per se:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420129

Here's BE BEarings break in procedure: http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....aring_Break_In

"Recommended Break-In Procedure

Rod bearings don't require any special break-in procedure. The normal break-in procedure of running an engine soft at low RPMs is intended to help the piston rings seal and to wear in other metallic parts that come in contact with each other. Rod bearings don't make contact with the crankshaft because an oil film separates the rod journal from the bearing itself. This is why replacing rod bearings doesn't require any special break-in procedure.

Oil change during break-in is optional. While it's not strictly required to change the oil shortly after changing rod bearings, it's not a bad idea either. When installing new rod bearings, it's expected that assembly lubricants will be used. After a few miles, these lubricants will all dissolve and will be mixed in with the running oil. If you do change the oil after rod bearing installation, we recommend to change it after about 400 miles."
      04-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #55
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Just FYI, there is no break-in period for new rod bearings, or at least there shouldn't be. There's nothing to break in per se:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420129

Here's BE BEarings break in procedure: http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....aring_Break_In

"Recommended Break-In Procedure

Rod bearings don't require any special break-in procedure. The normal break-in procedure of running an engine soft at low RPMs is intended to help the piston rings seal and to wear in other metallic parts that come in contact with each other. Rod bearings don't make contact with the crankshaft because an oil film separates the rod journal from the bearing itself. This is why replacing rod bearings doesn't require any special break-in procedure.

Oil change during break-in is optional. While it's not strictly required to change the oil shortly after changing rod bearings, it's not a bad idea either. When installing new rod bearings, it's expected that assembly lubricants will be used. After a few miles, these lubricants will all dissolve and will be mixed in with the running oil. If you do change the oil after rod bearing installation, we recommend to change it after about 400 miles."
I'm aware and do agree that in theory there should not be a break in period on hydrodynamic bearings. However with that said some recommend anywhere from 500-1000 miles of break in. My install shop, for example, recommended 500. I would rather err on the side of caution with this type of investment, take it easy for 500 miles, and perform a quick oil change than run any risk and maintain my newfound peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #56
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Beautiful. Are those fox reds? In the first pick it looks like a variant of cinnamon. That's the color I've been searching for but the fox reds are way too red.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #57
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
Beautiful. Are those fox reds? In the first pick it looks like a variant of cinnamon. That's the color I've been searching for but the fox reds are way too red.
Yes they are indeed fox red. I guess I can see what you're saying with that first pic. I think that's just a function of the lighting and I'm sure some of the editing the photographer did. With that said I adore the fox red. I was a bit back and forth before buying the car as I thought it would be too loud but the red really is toned back and they are just excellent. On the space grey I would never go any other direction, I've grown to love them. Here's some pictures that show the color a bit better:

Hey Law can I get this moved to the Photo/Video subforum? I realized a while ago I posted this in the wrong place but don't know how to relocate it.

Last edited by Space Fox; 04-14-2020 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Trying to get this thread moved
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #58
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm aware and do agree that in theory there should not be a break in period on hydrodynamic bearings. However with that said some recommend anywhere from 500-1000 miles of break in. My install shop, for example, recommended 500. I would rather err on the side of caution with this type of investment, take it easy for 500 miles, and perform a quick oil change than run any risk and maintain my newfound peace of mind.
It certainly doesn't harm anything to take it easy and do an early oil change (well, other than your wallet), but I think shops that recommend it are likely just saying that to cover themselves and are not basing it on any data or logic. My shop, which has been racing BMW's for many years and has done many S65 RB replacements, didn't say it was needed, and if the maker of the bearings says the same, that's good enough for me. I didn't end up following any break-in after my bearing change 2 years and 8K miles ago, and waited 4K+ miles before changing the oil. Oil came out clean and she's still running smooth (fingers crossed, LOL).

Incidentally, your bearings look a lot like mine did at 58K: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=684
      04-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #59
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
It certainly doesn't harm anything to take it easy and do an early oil change (well, other than your wallet), but I think shops that recommend it are likely just saying that to cover themselves and are not basing it on any data or logic. My shop, which has been racing BMW's for many years and has done many S65 RB replacements, didn't say it was needed, and if the maker of the bearings says the same, that's good enough for me. I didn't end up following any break-in after my bearing change 2 years and 8K miles ago, and waited 4K+ miles before changing the oil. Oil came out clean and she's still running smooth (fingers crossed, LOL).

Incidentally, your bearings look a lot like mine did at 58K: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=684
Lol I do appreciate the logic. I'm likely being extra cautious but I've driven the car pretty hard since buying the thing so she's probably earned 500 miles off
Agreed yours look very similar. I too am the third owner however the second only had the car for eight months and 1,100 miles. I'd like to think you can't do too much damage in that amount of time. Car is extremely well cared for from what I can tell. Just happy to have these behind me. On to telling myself I'm not going to buy an Eventuri plenum when I know damn well I am..
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      04-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #60
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I love Space grey, and BTW seeing your car makes me want to get ZCP wheels !

There are times when I question space grey, "its just grey, its boring" then the sunlight hits it, and you get this pearly liquid-metal look shining back at you, and I don't want any other color. Silvers and Greys have always suited M cars very well. They are timeless.

Love your build so far! Yes, keep it simple with the OEM+ look...adding too much actually takes away from the clean lines of this beautiful platform. Enjoy it!

GM
Appreciate 2
Space Fox1042.00
PACarGuy646.00
      04-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #61
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
I love Space grey, and BTW seeing your car makes me want to get ZCP wheels !

There are times when I question space grey, "its just grey, its boring" then the sunlight hits it, and you get this pearly liquid-metal look shining back at you, and I don't want any other color. Silvers and Greys have always suited M cars very well. They are timeless.

Love your build so far! Yes, keep it simple with the OEM+ look...adding too much actually takes away from the clean lines of this beautiful platform. Enjoy it!

GM
Thank you for the kind words! Definitely get some ZCP wheels if you can find them. They absolutely make the car. Best OEM wheels I've seen to date.

I feel the same about the Space Grey. Timeless and it fits the car so well. It does take on some new personality in the sun also. The color really seems to hold up well from my experience as an added bonus.

Thanks for the OEM+ nod It's the direction I'll continue to head - just tweaking the look a bit to clean it up and being meticulous with the maintenance. There are plenty of over-the-top builds out there. Most just don't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #62
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Fox View Post
Lol I do appreciate the logic. I'm likely being extra cautious but I've driven the car pretty hard since buying the thing so she's probably earned 500 miles off
Agreed yours look very similar. I too am the third owner however the second only had the car for eight months and 1,100 miles. I'd like to think you can't do too much damage in that amount of time. Car is extremely well cared for from what I can tell. Just happy to have these behind me. On to telling myself I'm not going to buy an Eventuri plenum when I know damn well I am..
I hear ya and it definitely adds piece of mind to rev the crap out of this awesome motor. I'm also very glad to have had it done, and it made my track day that much more enjoyable.
Enjoy that plenum. Your car looks great, and of course, I am highly partial to SGM. Best M color around
      04-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #63
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
I hear ya and it definitely adds piece of mind to rev the crap out of this awesome motor. I'm also very glad to have had it done, and it made my track day that much more enjoyable.
Enjoy that plenum. Your car looks great, and of course, I am highly partial to SGM. Best M color around
Haha good man! Yes, feels good knowing I can ping 8,400 to my hearts content without worrying for my cardiac health. I'll be sure to post pictures and videos here when I finally pull the trigger on the plenum.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      04-16-2020, 12:32 AM   #64
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they are indeed fox red. I guess I can see what you're saying with that first pic. I think that's just a function of the lighting and I'm sure some of the editing the photographer did. With that said I adore the fox red. I was a bit back and forth before buying the car as I thought it would be too loud but the red really is toned back and they are just excellent. On the space grey I would never go any other direction, I've grown to love them. Here's some pictures that show the color a bit better:

Hey Law can I get this moved to the Photo/Video subforum? I realized a while ago I posted this in the wrong place but don't know how to relocate it.
Quote:
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

That looks way better. The pics I saw must have been edited and not for the better.

beautiful color.
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      04-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #65
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Happy Friday. Was bored last night and remembered I never went through the professional photos from my track day at Sebring back in November. Found the set online and picked some winners:

Last edited by Space Fox; 04-17-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #66
Space Fox
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Went out for a nice Sunday quarantine drive with the gents. Probably the best route I've driven in the Tampa Bay area. About 150 miles round trip but well worth it. Gas is cheap and the roads are empty, a perfect time to get some miles in. Nice taking out a big chunk of the ole 'break in' period I'm currently work through as well. If I'm being honest I upped my break in rpm threshold to 4,500 for the drive.. I lack self control.

Managed to make a small bird disappear on the way up. Poor little guy..

Also crossed the 47k threshold on the drive home.

Busy morning for the M. Car ran exceptionally well. Maybe placebo but just felt smooth with new plugs, oil, and bearings. I also threw in some fuel injector cleaner with my last tank. Feels good knowing the motor is happy.
I'm getting a good feel for its handling capabilities as well - which are astonishingly wide. Easier to really focus on cornering when I'm not chasing down the redline.
Looking forward to being able to really open her up again here soon. The car is just such a different animal above 5k rpm..

Appreciate 2