BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

AFE Dry Air Filter on '08 *review*

This will be short.
Not a complex upgrade, if it is even an upgrade.

Basically it is a drop-in replacement for the OE filter, except unlike the OE filter, it is not reinforced on either end making it not seem to provide a good seal.
The pressure of the plastic thumb on the opposite end of the filter from the opening is enough to warp the filter slightly. To add insult to injury, the opening of the filter is soft enough that it never feels like it mates solidly to the plastic mouth of the intake.

As for the actual results of the install? Well I haven't dynoed the car but I honestly can't tell a difference. The car might be very slightly louder from induction noise, but nothing dramatic. As for power, too little if any gain to feel.

I didn't pay much for the filter, but I still think it is a waste of money on the S65 unless you get a killer deal.

Last edited by GtiGyver; 09-16-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I want to add that this is the ONLY filter I tried other than the OE unit.
I don't know if the design of competing products is any different from AFE's design for the S65.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have the Active Autowerke green performance filter for my 08 E90. The quality is very high, definitely more solid than the oem filter.

There is a very noticeable increase in induction sound, which I like. I can't feel any real difference in power (don't have a baseline dyno with the oem filter so I couldn't even compare the two on paper).

My oem filter needed replacement anyway and I figured for $100 I can swap in a better quality filter from AA that makes the car sound better, may net some performance gains (on paper), and can be cleaned and reused so that I won't have to purchase a replacement filter ever. To me, that last part alone is worth the $, just my two cents.
      09-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

The induction sound alone was worth the upgrade to me. The fins do get a little bit warped but it's not bad. Paired with the M-performance exhaust, sound so good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
I have the Active Autowerke green performance filter for my 08 E90. The quality is very high, definitely more solid than the oem filter.
Interesting. I'm curious. My OE Mahle filter (with orange ends) was stiff as a rock on the rubber parts, clearly reinforced with plastic inside.
The AFE I installed clearly was not reinforced. The silicone ends have lots of give and warp under the pressure of the mounting spring.
Maybe my model is older.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

I went with the BMC filter. Solid fit, not flimsy feeling at all. A nice noticable increase in induction sound. Very happy with quality and fitment.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
Interesting. I'm curious. My OE Mahle filter (with orange ends) was stiff as a rock on the rubber parts, clearly reinforced with plastic inside.
The AFE I installed clearly was not reinforced. The silicone ends have lots of give and warp under the pressure of the mounting spring.
Maybe my model is older.
Honestly I almost wish the AA filter was less reinforced to make it more of a breeze to install haha. Definitely no warping there.
      12-16-2021, 02:29 AM   #8
dbrian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
This will be short.
Not a complex upgrade, if it is even an upgrade.

Basically it is a drop-in replacement for the OE filter, except unlike the OE filter, it is not reinforced on either end making it not seem to provide a good seal.
The pressure of the plastic thumb on the opposite end of the filter from the opening is enough to warp the filter slightly. To add insult to injury, the opening of the filter is soft enough that it never feels like it mates solidly to the plastic mouth of the intake.

As for the actual results of the install? Well I haven't dynoed the car but I honestly can't tell a difference. The car might be very slightly louder from induction noise, but nothing dramatic. As for power, too little if any gain to feel.

I didn't pay much for the filter, but I still think it is a waste of money on the S65 unless you get a killer deal.
Wondering if you still have this installed? And if so, have you noticed any issues? I have the exact same filter from AFE installed on my 08 e93 M3 and I’m concerned that since it may not have a tight enough seal due to the unreinforced end that it might cause issues in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 02:57 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
Wondering if you still have this installed? And if so, have you noticed any issues? I have the exact same filter from AFE installed on my 08 e93 M3 and I’m concerned that since it may not have a tight enough seal due to the unreinforced end that it might cause issues in the long run.
Come to think of it, isn't the filter of some reason slightly different between the early and later M3s? And if so, could it be that the AFE you have is for the alternative filterbox? Seems strange they couldn't get the dimensions right.

Edit: Apparently, but the other way around as you have an 08: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...filter+adapter

Last edited by Helmsman; 12-16-2021 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #10
dbrian
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Come to think of it, isn't the filter of some reason slightly different between the early and later M3s? And if so, could it be that the AFE you have is for the alternative filterbox? Seems strange they couldn't get the dimensions right.

Edit: Apparently, but the other way around as you have an 08: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...filter+adapter
Yes that’s correct. See attached images. I believe for the later models there is some extra plastic where the nipple is supposed to be.

My issue with the AFE filter is that the back part seems so soft that when it’s installed the nipple doesn’t seem to push hard enough for the intake mouth to seal. Visually though, it seems sealed. One of the pictures is me pushing in the back part with little effort. Another is where I pull up slightly on the filter and will expose the leak. The old mahle filter back is rock solid as OP says.

I might be thinking too much on it, but I t’s probably how the product is made. I might be returning it if the seal leak will be an issue. Thoughts?
Attached Images

12-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #11
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Yes that’s correct. See attached images. I believe for the later models there is some extra plastic where the nipple is supposed to be.

My issue with the AFE filter is that the back part seems so soft that when it’s installed the nipple doesn’t seem to push hard enough for the intake mouth to seal. Visually though, it seems sealed. One of the pictures is me pushing in the back part with little effort. Another is where I pull up slightly on the filter and will expose the leak. The old mahle filter back is rock solid as OP says.

I might be thinking too much on it, but I t’s probably how the product is made. I might be returning it if the seal leak will be an issue. Thoughts?
you are overthinking it. that gap there is nothing, you should be more concerned about servicing the filter more often so the oil can trap more dirt.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:10 AM   #12
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Got it. If thats the filter you want to use, what about simply reinforcing the back side with some tape etc to make it more snug?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #13
dbrian
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
you are overthinking it. that gap there is nothing, you should be more concerned about servicing the filter more often so the oil can trap more dirt.
You’re probably right. Going to keep it in. I guess I was just more concerned that the build quality didn’t seem to be the same lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Got it. If thats the filter you want to use, what about simply reinforcing the back side with some tape etc to make it more snug?
I’ll probably keep it as is lol it’s probably not a big deal anyway. Maybe I am overthinking things haha
      12-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Switch to BMC or AA if it bothers you.
Appreciate 0