BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #23
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

I too had a bunch of CDxx codes thrown and one time had transmission warning messages on my CIC during a hard braking event in 90+ heat. it wouldn't shift into even or odd numbered gears (can't remember which). turned the car off for a minute and restarted with no issues.

a month or two later I did a full DCT service (new fluid + filters + pan gasket) and it's been behaving super smooth since. I think our DCTs loses its sh!t when it's low on fluid since it's apparently been "designed" to leak over time.

edit: I was (and still am) running the GTS tune as well.

Last edited by Fezza; 09-20-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
JaviV8
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Hello all, greetings from Madrid in Spain. I have been suffering these four codes for a while.
My old battery was arriving to the end, launching "low battery" alert very often. One day, suddenly, it launched the “gear fail” signal and I was stucked in P. Like you say, if you turn off and let him 3 minutes, you restart and failure is gone. I was convinced it was something from the low voltage.
I replaced battery and it was apparently solved. BUT, after some time, it came back.
I do not care making the DCT maintenance, the car is only 83.000 km = 52.000 miles, but it is a 2012 car so… it is the time.
BUT, my fear is that that does not solve the problem. I suspect the voltage is low in the battery (I see it on the OBD2 connection), and I wonder if the alternator is not charging the new battery properly…
Anyone has news or update in this matter?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:01 AM   #25
JaviV8
Spain
Rep

Hello all!

Just let you know that my ground strap was totally loose. I think they forgot to tight it properly after rod bearing substitution... so... well, now I have to observe it... but I bet problem is finally solved.

Before going to the shop, I made an easy test measuring with a voltmeter (car started, lights and air on) between the engine block (from the ring for lift it) and the ground point in the body (in the left part of the body, close to the VIN number in the bumper). If it is good, voltage there should be 0 (the engine block is connected to ground throughout the ground strap). When my ground was loose it was more than 0,7 volt!!

Because of this I asked my mechanic directly to check the main ground strap (you have to lift the car and remove carter cover for easy access), and that was there: Loose cable. We saved time!

Alter tightening again, measured voltage came to 0, or 0,02 maximum.

Well, I have to observe it. But I dare to say that was the issue.

Thank you to all, especially the mates with the same or similar problems that helped here, or by privete message!

Javier.
Appreciate 3
ATLIEN546.00
chocstraw495.50
      06-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #26
JaviV8
Spain
Rep

Just confirm to all of you that my problem was totally solved by fixing ground strap. It was loose, the mechanic forgot to fix properly after rod bearings replacement... and the "crazy crank issue" started.

In my case I was also convinced that it was a voltage issue during cranking. Because ONLY happened at starts, and only a few times. When the fail did not appear, it waorked perfectly.

If you see this:

Yo see the voltage during CRANKING, before, and after fixing the ground strap. The battery is the same, a new one. CLEARLY there is more than 1 volt "leaking" anywhere.

This peaks made the DCT "crazy". And not always. And of course, the stronger the battery is, the less you get the fail.

In the other picture, I messuared with a voltmeter between engine, and ground point (with engine ON, lights and conditioned air ON). I was able to see more than one volt. That meant the engine was not properly "grounded". After fixing the strap, I messure 0,02 volt at much.

I think it is a good idea to monitor the voltage in a "healthy car" during cranking, and compare to the "failing" car. At least in my case you can clearly realize the difference.

Now the car is working perfectly. I wonder what can happend if I stay long with the problem. May be the battery and the alternator can fail... or may be the ECU can be damaged... I donīt know.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #27
JaviV8
Spain
Rep

Here you can see the FAILS the problem created. A lot of them. All of them FAKE. After fixing the issue, NO SINGLE FAIL is shown. Incredible. This ground strap is "dangerous". You can imagine I got very happy with the mechanic. At least we found it ans solved it quickly. Noone is perfect!

Regards,

Javier.

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #28
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1 series

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i M Spo ...  [0.00]
I conclusively found the issue. It's the alt/strtr/b+ cable. Stealershiip damaged it and once replaced, absolutely zero issues for months now.

It also mad my valvetronic behavior so much better.

Proper wiring/cabling/voltage is so important.

Of course, right after doing the cable, the next day it happened a few times. It was trying to recalibrate with proper voltage. I reset all adaptations the next day and all has been perfect.

It feels great to have forgotten how annoying this was. Yay!
      06-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #29
johnnyroyal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black M3

Just wanted to add to this thread.

I had the following codes 5A48 5A55 5073 and 5074. My car has 57k miles on it, RB's done along with TA's. When driving the car I noticed 0 issues with the transmission. It drives like it did when it came off the lot.

I was getting the Transmission Malfunction code every so often and was not able to get my car out of park. After starting and stopping the car 5-10 times I was able to finally get the car to start.

I replaced the battery, got a battery tender, replaced the alternator, and didn't have any luck. I finally replaced the ground strap, cleared the errors and thankfully I haven't had any additional errors. I would recommend starting with the ground strap, it would have saved me a few dollars.

I'm not too upset about the new parts I put in the car, but its crazy to think all of this was due to a grounding problem. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Appreciate 0