BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

UK Fuel Comparison (95 vs 99)

I just completed my little test of Shell V Power (99 Octane) against standard UK 95 Octane fuel

I ran 5 tanks on the V power and then 5 on Tesco / Morrison's standard stuff.

I felt that the V Power did seem a bit more responsive but this is subjective. More disappointing though is that their claims for extra mileage were a bit optimistic. I use the car every day and do a lot of distance driving so get a very reasonable 20MPG plus. I got 21MPG on 5 tanks of V Power and 22MPG on the standard stuff.

So I can't really see the point of paying the extra. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
I just completed my little test of Shell V Power (99 Octane) against standard UK 95 Octane fuel

I ran 5 tanks on the V power and then 5 on Tesco / Morrison's standard stuff.

I felt that the V Power did seem a bit more responsive but this is subjective. More disappointing though is that their claims for extra mileage were a bit optimistic. I use the car every day and do a lot of distance driving so get a very reasonable 20MPG plus. I got 21MPG on 5 tanks of V Power and 22MPG on the standard stuff.

So I can't really see the point of paying the extra. What do you think?
I'm not sure but I wish we got that powerful stuff across the pond (for our insanly low prices still). Personally if you use it as a DD and get better MPG on the 95 then go with that. However if you're gonna do a track day or have some time off where you just want to romp on the M then run a tank of the 99 (so the ecu calibrates to the new octane level) and then enjoy! If MPG is your major concern and the cheaper but still ok fuel gives you better MPG then it's a no brainer!

Speaking of this I wonder what the VBOX times of a car running 99 (like you guys can over there regularly) vs one of our 93 octane cars (sorry CA!) are like.
      04-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post
I'm not sure but I wish we got that powerful stuff across the pond (for our insanly low prices still). Personally if you use it as a DD and get better MPG on the 95 then go with that. However if you're gonna do a track day or have some time off where you just want to romp on the M then run a tank of the 99 (so the ecu calibrates to the new octane level) and then enjoy! If MPG is your major concern and the cheaper but still ok fuel gives you better MPG then it's a no brainer!

Speaking of this I wonder what the VBOX times of a car running 99 (like you guys can over there regularly) vs one of our 93 octane cars (sorry CA!) are like.
99 RON is actually very close to what we call 93 octane here in the states.

The difference is due to how octane is labeled - in Canada and the U.S., Octane rating = average of RON and MON, whereas in most of the rest of the world, they label it using RON. So, it's essentially the same stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
99 RON is actually very close to what we call 93 octane here in the states.

The difference is due to how octane is labeled - in Canada and the U.S., Octane rating = average of RON and MON, whereas in most of the rest of the world, they label it using RON. So, it's essentially the same stuff

Except we have corn in our gas. I want corn-free gas!