BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #45
cmplaya
Captain
180
Rep
685
Posts

Drives: B58
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC / Instagram: @cmplaya/@nyc340i

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Do you have any idea what's wrong with your technique?
nothing technically wrong with my technique using zooms, but my primes have much shallower depth of field which I think is more pleasing to look at. All but one of these photos was taken with a prime lens (24/1.4, 50/1.4 or 135/2). Only the one with the horse and carriage was taken with a 70-300L zoom

https://picasaweb.google.com/1055376...CJDVwaqblo6GAw
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #46
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
nothing technically wrong with my technique using zooms, but my primes have much shallower depth of field which I think is more pleasing to look at. All but one of these photos was taken with a prime lens (24/1.4, 50/1.4 or 135/2). Only the one with the horse and carriage was taken with a 70-300L zoom
Nice stuff. You're heavily weighted toward portrait, so it makes sense. Still, I find that using an f/4 70-200mm in the 100mm range gives nice bokeh. For a dedicated portrait lens, I'd agree and go with an 85mm f/2.

Noobs should realize that you can get bokeh a couple of ways. With a wide-angle lens, you really need a large aperture. At 80mm or so, then getting close at f/4 can give pleasing bokeh.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #47
cmplaya
Captain
180
Rep
685
Posts

Drives: B58
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC / Instagram: @cmplaya/@nyc340i

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Nice stuff. You're heavily weighted toward portrait, so it makes sense. Still, I find that using an f/4 70-200mm in the 100mm range gives nice bokeh. For a dedicated portrait lens, I'd agree and go with an 85mm f/2.

Noobs should realize that you can get bokeh a couple of ways. With a wide-angle lens, you really need a large aperture. At 80mm or so, then getting close at f/4 can give pleasing bokeh.

Dave
thanks. when i started out I had the kit lens combined with 50/1.8 for a cheap prime to figure out what works best for your style and what you like shooting.
Then you will be able to have a sense for where your gear is limiting you and get the appropriate upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #48
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
245
Rep
1,991
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (23)

Major thread bump

Looking to pick up an L series to my same T2i :P
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #49
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Major thread bump

Looking to pick up an L series to my same T2i :P
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - $1800.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #50
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
bmw1racer's Avatar
United_States
521
Rep
3,297
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - $1800.
A coworker bought one from Adorama a couple of days ago for his 5D Mk3... Really nice, solid (and heavy!) lens.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #51
dcstep
Major General
United_States
764
Rep
7,137
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
A coworker bought one from Adorama a couple of days ago for his 5D Mk3... Really nice, solid (and heavy!) lens.
Good to hear.

For what it does, it's light.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #52
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
bmw1racer's Avatar
United_States
521
Rep
3,297
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - $1800.
DP Review of the lens: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/upg...mark-ii-review
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #53
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
sirdaft1's Avatar
United_States
1836
Rep
3,209
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago West Burbs

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
OP did you decide to stick with the T2i and instead upgrade your glass?

I made the jump from a T3i to a 6D a year ago. I originally planned on selling the T3i, but once I found how soft the market is for used cropped sensor DSLR's, I decided to keep it. Now I run the T3i as a kit/wide angle setup and the 6D as a prime lens setup. It's been super nice being able to switch back and forth between the two rigs without needing to swap lenses.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #54
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
245
Rep
1,991
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
OP did you decide to stick with the T2i and instead upgrade your glass?

I made the jump from a T3i to a 6D a year ago. I originally planned on selling the T3i, but once I found how soft the market is for used cropped sensor DSLR's, I decided to keep it. Now I run the T3i as a kit/wide angle setup and the 6D as a prime lens setup. It's been super nice being able to switch back and forth between the two rigs without needing to swap lenses.
Have not, but did notice exact market drop off on Rebels - so wasn't worth it for me to sell especially at a time when I'm not looking to particularly drop 2k into camera gear. But do want to move away from the kit lens, as I know there's much better glass.


The above lens is overkill for my use, and wallet as well
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST