BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

01-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Windshield Help!

Hey, guys, I went for a big canyon run and got sprayed with rocks and sand. My windshield looks like trash rn and I wanted to know what you track and canyon guys do about this issue. Its really bugging me and I would prefer not to replace the entire windshield and have the same issue happen again.

Can I have a pro sand out my windshield? Should I try insurance? Should I just replace the entire thing?

(no picture at this time unfortunately today in the morning the sun hitting it looked absolutely horrible)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
Hey, guys, I went for a big canyon run and got sprayed with rocks and sand. My windshield looks like trash rn and I wanted to know what you track and canyon guys do about this issue. Its really bugging me and I would prefer not to replace the entire windshield and have the same issue happen again.

Can I have a pro sand out my windshield? Should I try insurance? Should I just replace the entire thing?

(no picture at this time unfortunately today in the morning the sun hitting it looked absolutely horrible)
I went through insurance for my "sandblast" issue... I also couldn't see well when the sun hit it in the morning. I used Safelite and they upgraded me to the Climate control windshield (purple hue), which is phenomenal so far. Even though they were only supposed to replace if the windshield was cracked significantly, Safelite doesn't seem to care and filed it all and I paid nothing...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
I went through insurance for my "sandblast" issue... I also couldn't see well when the sun hit it in the morning. I used Safelite and they upgraded me to the Climate control windshield (purple hue), which is phenomenal so far. Even though they were only supposed to replace if the windshield was cracked significantly, Safelite doesn't seem to care and filed it all and I paid nothing...
Okay, have you run the car again and been "sandblasted" and the windshield looks fine? I'm pretty OCD and its driving me crazy. You had insurance cover it or you just paid out of pocket for the windshield, how much did that run? I'm tempted to just replace the entire thing and the weather liner above it because mines shot.

I saw on Facebook there was a cheap like $30 weather liner that will replace my old and dried weather liner.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, have you run the car again and been "sandblasted" and the windshield looks fine? I'm pretty OCD and its driving me crazy. You had insurance cover it or you just paid out of pocket for the windshield, how much did that run? I'm tempted to just replace the entire thing and the weather liner above it because mines shot.

I saw on Facebook there was a cheap like $30 weather liner that will replace my old and dried weather liner.
my insurance covered 100% of it, I just called Safelite, told them I had micro scratches making it hard to see, they handled everything with insurance... they also replaced all of the strips around the window, so that was included. The micro sand blast stuff was miserable to see out of, so worth replacing the entire thing. if you do, make sure to get the blue hue climate windshield. much better look and good for sun
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
my insurance covered 100% of it, I just called Safelite, told them I had micro scratches making it hard to see, they handled everything with insurance... they also replaced all of the strips around the window, so that was included. The micro sand blast stuff was miserable to see out of, so worth replacing the entire thing. if you do, make sure to get the blue hue climate windshield. much better look and good for sun
Safelight is closed today I was about to call them right now! You're getting me all excited haha. Did you take any before and after photos? Do you know how that worked on the insurance side? Did you have to pay a deductible or how does that work?
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      01-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Safelight is closed today I was about to call them right now! You're getting me all excited haha. Did you take any before and after photos? Do you know how that worked on the insurance side? Did you have to pay a deductible or how does that work?
I tried to find some to show the difference... top one is the new one, climate control or whatever it's called, bottom is the old one.. the difference in person is substantial, but I really like it. depending on your insurance, you should be good to get it for free, just make sure you check the box for the climate windshield
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

if you have a few chips that you want to control i've had very good success with http://richardsonswindshieldrepair.com

you can also ask them if they have any ideas for whole windshield surface repairs. full replacement is always easiest tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

pictures are such a pain to post.. app isn't posting anything..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I tried to find some to show the difference... top one is the new one, climate control or whatever it's called, bottom is the old one.. the difference in person is substantial, but I really like it. depending on your insurance, you should be good to get it for free, just make sure you check the box for the climate windshield
I just called my friend whos also getting his windshield replaced he said he was fully covered but it was an addition to his policy so Im calling tomorrow to see if im covered I do carry full coverage so well see. Life saver thanks for the help much appreciated
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      01-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #10
Yoko22R
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
After seeing this thread I filed a claim for rock chipped windshield yesterday. Was scheduled with safelight this morning at 8am. Had my car back my 10am with a new windshield covered 100% by insurance with no deductible.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:30 AM   #11
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22R View Post
After seeing this thread I filed a claim for rock chipped windshield yesterday. Was scheduled with safelight this morning at 8am. Had my car back my 10am with a new windshield covered 100% by insurance with no deductible.
Who do you go through with insurance? I went through AAA and they told me they would only cover it if it was in an accident or if I just came out to my car window and there was damage. Also called Safeflight they told me I would need to contact AAA if I want it covered, quoted me $300.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #12
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just went through safelite yesterday and got the climate control windshield upgrade at for free, it's badass
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      01-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #13
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just went through safelite yesterday and got the climate control windshield upgrade at for free, it's badass
Yesss.. it's legit AF. looks so good... nice contrast with tinted side windows. I love mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

thanks for letting me know about the free upgrade via safelite!

our windows are really fragile.. shits annoying. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #15
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygodzirra View Post
thanks for letting me know about the free upgrade via safelite!

our windows are really fragile.. shits annoying. lol
No upgrade for you bicboi
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #16
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

What is the difference between the normal and climate control windshield? PN?
      02-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLER335I View Post
What is the difference between the normal and climate control windshield? PN?
Was just thinking the same
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #18
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Answering my own question:

The climate comfort windscreen uses a layer of special reflective material to reflect certain wavelengths of sunlight: infrared radiation, which is responsible for increasing temperature, is not allowed to enter the cabin, while a high level of natural light is able to pass through it.Mar 4, 2017
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #19
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Picture of the climate control safelite windshield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have recently been trying to find out whether my insurance (Wawanesa) would cover a windshield replacement with no money out of pocket.

From what I've read, windshield coverage varies state to state and California is not one that waives windshield repair/replacement fees.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

I'm in CA and have always paid $100 comprehensive deductible for windshield replacement
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoepurrr View Post
I have recently been trying to find out whether my insurance (Wawanesa) would cover a windshield replacement with no money out of pocket.

From what I've read, windshield coverage varies state to state and California is not one that waives windshield repair/replacement fees.
I'm in California and had no deductible for windshield replacement
Appreciate 0