BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
NYE92M3ZCP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 C4S, 991.1GT3RS

thoughts on Dinan P2 power package peak hp 451, 312 lb torque

Hi everyone,
For those who bought the S2 or P2 package from Dinan, would you recommend it? Dinan currently has a promotion on package deals in which the P2 would cost around 4800$ without installation. Is it worth it to get the S2 package as well?Reviews from owners greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

They make top quality parts, for sure. But if you’re just looking for power:dollars or objective value, they are among the worst, but it’s all without compromise (marketing mumbo jumbo but I actually think it’s true). It depends how you define “worth it.” I haven’t seen many S2 E9Xs. I think it’d be a solid kit, but the ITBs and software, doing very little, may not make the package very appealing from a cost perspective. That said, great resale (parted out or left on the car). Some dislike Dinan for being overpriced, but like with most things, you get what you pay for.

Disclosure: I have their intake, pulleys, and sway bar kit. Camber plates going on soon. Went in a different direction for exhaust and software. Had their S3R kit on my E46.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      09-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Tell us what you get for parts and we can tell you whether it’s a fair deal. If you just want Dinan parts because you think they are special, then pay the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
In my opinion, the only reasonable bang for your buck thing Dinan seems to have is their DCT tune.

With that said, if I ever wanted an ECU tune, living in that tyrannical nanny state of Massachusetts, Dinan would probably be one of the only companies I would trust to get an install from in order to still be able to connect to the Emissions Software.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Almost all of the mods that I have on my e92 are dinan. While they do make quality product, it is overpriced.

Personally, I think the only parts from the P2 package that are worth buying is the exhaust and intake however you should also get a dinan xpipe (discontinued) as well (buy used) and the resulting sound is great - quiet enough around town, deep and angry when you want it.

The dinan tune is conservative and a more aggressive alternative can be had elsewhere with additional tweaks that are to your liking ie burble, etc.

The throttle bodies have been shown to create a loss of hp as opposed to gains in some cases, there are several threads on the forums about this.

Pulley is subjective, really depends on your budget as there are several companies that make them and they do the same thing.

Personally, i like consistency and keeping a unified theme in my build so for my personal preference the dinan parts compliment each other nicely.

I currently have the following dinan parts on my car and haven't experienced any issues with them.

Tune
DCT tune
Intake
Xpipe
Exhaust
Pulley
Strut braces
Sway bar
Coilover kit with camber plates

If you really want dinan parts, I would start with the tune+dct tune and then get the intake+xpipe+exhaust - this where the biggest power bump will come from as the xpipe is catless.

Again, you can obtain better numbers in terms of gains and savings by buying other brands, there are many options to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Agree, the Dinan stuff that the previous owner installed was all very high quality, but not really worth the money. I have:

ITB (total and absolute waste of time and money in my opinion)
Pulley
Strut braces (not worth the hassle as these must be removed to remove the plenum)
Cat-back exhaust (sounds great but they are slightly different lengths left and right...)
Intake
Tune (8600RPM Redline)

The car also had a 4.10 Dinan differential but I sold that to go back to 3.85 due to where I lived. Now that I moved to a location where the roads are twisty, I do regret that choice a little.

I currently run an Alpine tune as I hate the damn cold start and 8400RPM is plenty for my tastes. Also, I am about to go with a HFC setup and Dinan does not offer that tune without additional fees.

Again, top notch products but there are lots of other top notch options out there.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      09-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Strut braces (not worth the hassle as these must be removed to remove the plenum)
I thought these just replaced the OE aluminum braces with CF/wrapped pieces? Sounds like you are indicating the Dinan struts increase the hassle of removing the plenum versus stock, but not clear.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I thought these just replaced the OE aluminum braces with CF/wrapped pieces? Sounds like you are indicating the Dinan struts increase the hassle of removing the plenum versus stock, but not clear.
The factory braces are sort of flat. The Dinan braces are round carbon fiber tubes. TIS does not indicate that you have to remove the strut braces so I assume (and have read) that the plenum can be removed with the factory strut braces in place. I know, for a fact, that if you try to remove the plenum with the Dinan braces in place, you will be very frustrated. It takes 5 more minutes to remove them, so not a huge worry. But I am pretty sure the factory ones are strong enough to do the job and the weight savings (if any) for the Dinan product would be equal to me taking a good piss prior to driving my car. Pure cosmetic IMHO.

Cheers,

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Ah makes, sense. Thanks! Agreed those seem to be purely cosmetic. I wouldn't toss them out but it's probably the worst way to blow $500.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
NYE92M3ZCP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dinan E92 M3 S2 Signature Package 2008-2013 includes
Dinan Plaque

S-2 Under-hood Plaque and Dinan Deck Lid Badge
A Dinan badge and serialized plaque that sets your BMW apart from the rest ...
Price
FREE!
Dinan Software

Dinan Performance Engine Software for BMW M3 E90 E92 E93 2008-2013
The software removes the top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their ''natural'' top speed; and the V8 will pull right ...
Price
$299.95

Dinan Exhaust

Dinan Free Flow Exhaust for BMW M3 E92 E93 2008-2013
Dinan is the most advanced research company in the BMW aftermarket. Winning back-to-back-to-back Rolex Series Daytona Prototype racing championships i...
Price
$1799.95
Dinan Intake

Dinan High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake for BMW M3 E90 E92 E93
Dinan has developed the High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake for the BMW E9x M3 to improve air flow to the engine. Dinan's intake is built with the highe...
Price
$899.95
Dinan Throttle Bodies

Dinan High Flow Throttle Bodies for BMW M3 E90 E92 E93
Dinan bores each of the M3's eight individual throttle bodies to a larger internal diameter, increasing air flow area by a full 8%. The larger bor...
Price
$1999.95

Core Charge
$3800.00
Dinan Pulley

Underdrive Pulley Kit (2008-5/08 Only)
Dinan’s underdrive pulley is designed to increase power by reducing parasitic drag on the engine from spinning the alternator, water pump and AC...
Price
$349.95

Underdrive Pulley Kit (6/08-2013 Only)
Dinan’s underdrive pulley is designed to increase power by reducing parasitic drag on the engine from spinning the alternator, water pump and AC...
Price
$349.95

Dinan Suspension

Dinan Performance Spring Set for BMW E92 M3
Suspension systems that not only transform the stance of the vehicle but also maintain ride quality and improve upon handling are what Dinan suspensio...
Price
$369.95
Dinan Handling Kit

Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit for (EDC) BMW E90/92/93 M3
To fully enjoy Dinan performance spring sets we highly recommend pairing them up with our supplemental ride quality and handling kits. This additional...
Price
$699.95

Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit for (NON-EDC) BMW E90/92/93 M3
To fully enjoy Dinan performance spring sets we highly recommend pairing them up with our supplemental ride quality and handling kits. This additional...
Price
$699.95

Dinan Carbon Brace

Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
The Dinan carbon fiber strut tower braces are built from aerospace quality aluminum and carbon fiber. The amazingly strong carbon fiber rods are held ...
Price
$529.95
Dinan Pedal Pads

Dinan Pedal Cover Set for BMW with Manual Transmission
Stylish aluminum and rubber pedal pads add a great high performance look to the interior of your BMW, while providing plenty of grip for even slippery...
Price
$199.95

Dinan Pedal Cover Set for BMW with SMG and DCT Transmissions
Stylish aluminum and rubber pedal pads add a great high performance look to the interior of your BMW, while providing plenty of grip for even slippery...
Price
$149.95

Total Price$7,149.55
Discounted Price (Save 10.00%!!)$6,434.60
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I wouldn't but can understand the temptation. It's nice getting a lot of mods done by a single tuning company especially by one with the reputation of dinan. These cars are older now so I feel it doesn't demand that premium, having said that I've got a few dinan mods that I've paid for my old '08. What do you want out of your car? What do you feel is missing?
      09-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

A used supercharger 650 kit and used coilovers is how I would spend $6,434.60 on mods. Ok, maybe the tune required would put you at another $1k.

Seriously, you get very little for $6.5k, other than the Dinan name. Doesn't really increase your resale value much either.
Appreciate 2
Scharbag2619.00
chocstraw495.50
      09-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #13
NYE92M3ZCP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

the car is low mileage with another 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and my BMW dealer is a dinan official dealer as well. I would like to retain the factory BMW warranty. The dealer here sells dinan aftermarket parts reflected in their re-sale value.
Appreciate 1
chocstraw495.50
      09-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAE93M3 View Post
the car is low mileage with another 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and my BMW dealer is a dinan official dealer as well. I would like to retain the factory BMW warranty. The dealer here sells dinan aftermarket parts reflected in their re-sale value.
You want to keep your warranty and if you want to mod you don't have another choice in that case. Put the chip side up and enjoy.
      09-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #15
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You do not retain BMW warranty with Dinan. Dinan offers you their warranty. Make sure you scope out all that fully.

But I agree with others, pay for a supercharger instead. Or just get a tune and test pipes. A lot of the Dinan stuff is not worth it. I know, I have all of it...

Appreciate 1
JsL447.50
      09-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #16
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Save your 6k and don't Dinan "mod" the car if you're buying new Dinan parts almost at full price. Do real mods after your factory warranty is over.

Obviously your money you do what you want, but you're really not getting much for the large amount of money spent.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #17
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
The factory braces are sort of flat. The Dinan braces are round carbon fiber tubes. TIS does not indicate that you have to remove the strut braces so I assume (and have read) that the plenum can be removed with the factory strut braces in place. I know, for a fact, that if you try to remove the plenum with the Dinan braces in place, you will be very frustrated. It takes 5 more minutes to remove them, so not a huge worry. But I am pretty sure the factory ones are strong enough to do the job and the weight savings (if any) for the Dinan product would be equal to me taking a good piss prior to driving my car. Pure cosmetic IMHO.

Cheers,
Someone weighed both Dinan and the factory ones, they weigh the same. Just a pretty carbon overlay lol.

The real savings would come from the bolts used to hold it down to the body. I forgot who did Titanium
      10-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #18
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
I try to avoid advising others how to spend their hard earn money, but will gladly share my mod ownership of my M3, I too almost went with the Dinan mods path, but realize that I will be paying for the brand, a lot of other options out there that will serve the same purchase, you just have to do the research and comparison yourself. So, after reading and searching through our forum, I simply went with other alternatives that nets the same results for a lower cost and without the "Dinan " name and badge. Goodluck
Appreciate 1
JsL447.50
      10-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #19
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Dinan Throttle Bodies

Dinan High Flow Throttle Bodies for BMW M3 E90 E92 E93
Dinan bores each of the M3's eight individual throttle bodies to a larger internal diameter, increasing air flow area by a full 8%. The larger bor...
Price
$1999.95

Core Charge
$3800.00
This is ridiculous. They're charging a 100 percent markup for work that any good race shop or CNC machine shop can handle. There's a guy in Florida who is popular on the import forums who does the work for $125 per TB. He refuses to work on BMWs though. I have no idea what thats about, since he works on Ferraris, Porsches and Lotus. Must have had a bad experience or twenty with some stereotypical BMW owners...

Quote:
ITB (total and absolute waste of time and money in my opinion)
I would tend to agree. The bore service - from whomever - doesn't affect the diameter of the port that the TBs are mounted to.

For an extreme example, look back at the TPI Chevy motors of the 1980s. There were a few shops that offered larger plenums, and also ported and even siamesed runners. Most of them could post verified claims of flow improvements, but that was strictly for the runners. Once mounted on the stock valley manifold, everything was choked down to stock flow, but now there was turbulence at the manifold. It would have been better to port the manifold and leave the runners alone.

TB porting can offer real benefits though. A good example: Genesis owners port not just the throttle body but also the intake manifolds. They get a definite benefit from the service, and its considered a good price/performance deal over there. It helps that they have a single blade TB, whereas we pay that x 8, but I'll take the response of ITB over a master TB.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0