BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #45
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Personally I would keep tracking the GS.

I've 'dedicated' cars to the track but they have always been road legal and have been driven to and from the track. Right now I have two, the E90 and the F80 CS, but both have like 5 mods each and are still pretty damn fast.

Basically, if you have a decent suspension, BBK and race seats with 6 points that is a serious weapon even with a E9X, forget about a GS which is faster.

It's just an opinion but people lose themselves a bit building truly dedicated cars which are black holes of money and which can never be resold (giving them away when you're done with them doesn't really count) and that are not faster than the street cars due to infinite setup issues. It's like building a frankenstein.

There seems to be a lot of focus on lightweight, aero, solid everything, etc. Yet the cars that are all built up are seldom fast unless the driver is very, very fast themselves. In which case they'd be like 3 seconds slower with a streetable track build...
Agreed with what this fine gentleman said!

If I may add to this...
I've been tracking my e92 m3 pretty hard the last 5.5 years and I'll tell you this...it's a reliable rocket ship. I had my Rod bearings done just for piece of mind knowing I was going to rape my car. I started my build in stages as I was improving my abilities and getting faster.
I drove my clients car to show him my line at Watkins Glen ..a 2018 Corvette GS manual...I loved it! Car was insane out of the box from brakes, handling and obviously torque. But something about the e90 platform that has me giggling.
I took out close to 500lbs from my E92 and my brakes last longer along with my tires. These cars are heavy so I would start the diet then brakes, suspension and so on.
Take it slow, learn the lines and build up to it as you progress...it will be a money pit but atleast we are having fun.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      09-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #46
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM135 View Post
So - why is front BBK a must have on the list... I realize our cars are quite heavy, but is the factory system with the right pads, SS lines and fluid really that inadequate?

I just recently sold a very well built e36 M3 to begin building my E92.... my list was pretty similar to ones shared here, and I'm targeting around 12-15k before it's actually "ready" to get torn up around a track - but I didn't have BBK on that list....

Enlighten me? 😇

Thanks 🙏🏻
Something I'm having issues with still is a smooth release after heavy braking. One of the items contributing to that is with the stock brakes, the brake application isn't quite linear. Almost everyone notices that the first 20% of brake pedal travel does little if anything. BBKs have been reported to resolve that issue.

I use the stock brakes, PFC 08 pads, and Motul RBF660 without any problems. I'll like keep it that way until I'm able to go to more than 3 events per year. I'm fully confident that the brakes will work consistently and every time... until about 15 minutes into a session. A BBK would eliminate any lingering worries for 20-30 minute sessions. It's a safety upgrade more so than a performance upgrade.
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      09-16-2019, 03:37 AM   #47
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Stock brakes with PFC08 pads and SRF fluid work fine for me at my local tracks, and they trail brake quite well. I'll definitely still be upgrading because better is better, and taking off the front caliper to replace pads after 5 track days is a bit annoying.
      09-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #48
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

^ Same, more for convenience than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Something I'm having issues with still is a smooth release after heavy braking. One of the items contributing to that is with the stock brakes, the brake application isn't quite linear. Almost everyone notices that the first 20% of brake pedal travel does little if anything. BBKs have been reported to resolve that issue.

I use the stock brakes, PFC 08 pads, and Motul RBF660 without any problems. I'll like keep it that way until I'm able to go to more than 3 events per year. I'm fully confident that the brakes will work consistently and every time... until about 15 minutes into a session. A BBK would eliminate any lingering worries for 20-30 minute sessions. It's a safety upgrade more so than a performance upgrade.
It's probably the dynamic braking by the DSC unit more than the brakes itself. Going to code it off next time I'm out.
Appreciate 0