BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-10-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

E92 M3 - runs in limp mode

Hi guys, I recently purchased an E92 and it's currently driving like a Toyota Prius right now lol. It doesn't go over 3-4k rpms. It has around 150k miles on it. I took it to AutoZone to run some codes on it and it came up as P2100 and P201A. Google says throttle actuator control motor. I'm assuming I'd need to get my throttle actuators replaced?

Also, is it safe to drive the car while it's acting up like this?

If that's the case, who do you guys recommend I get the actuators from? And is there anything else I should get done while I am in there?

Let me know guys! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

PM @BOOF-M3 for your throttle actuators. I wouldn't drive the car unless it's to the mechanic.

At 150k miles, you should be replacing all fluids - engine oil, brake, power steering, coolant, gearbox and rear differential fluids. Spark plugs too.

Definitely do rod bearings if they haven't been done. And do the engine mounts while you're at it.

Eyeball the entire coolant system for leaks or residue. These start going at around 100k.

Check the DCT oil pan for leaks. If it's leaking replace the pan and all filters.

Check air filter and cabin filters.
Appreciate 4
      08-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationGraphiteM3 View Post
Hi guys, I recently purchased an E92 and it's currently driving like a Toyota Prius right now lol. It doesn't go over 3-4k rpms. It has around 150k miles on it. I took it to AutoZone to run some codes on it and it came up as P2100 and P201A. Google says throttle actuator control motor. I'm assuming I'd need to get my throttle actuators replaced?

If that's the case, who do you guys recommend I get the actuators from? And is there anything else I should get done while I am in there?

DIY Throttle Actuators:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735033

Where to Buy
Personal Message BOOF-M3
https://www.usa.rebuild.org.uk/
OR in the USA
https://eupartspalace.com/shop/

Replace the fuel tank breather valve while you're in there. The car can still be driven in limp mode. However, the throttle actuator codes may disappear on restart. The codes can be cleared with the Carly Ap - BUT - the codes will increase in frequency from say coding once a quarter, to once a month to once per day until failure.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

Eyeball the entire coolant system for leaks or residue. These start going at around 100k.

Can you elaborate? I know cooling systems have been an issue for many BMWs but wasn’t aware of that with this platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs34 View Post
Can you elaborate? I know cooling systems have been an issue for many BMWs but wasn’t aware of that with this platform.
Nothing major, just usual wear and tear stuff. Check for signs of leakage at the hoses, plastic couplings, water pump and thermostat.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #6
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
PM @BOOF-M3 for your throttle actuators. I wouldn't drive the car unless it's to the mechanic.

At 150k miles, you should be replacing all fluids - engine oil, brake, power steering, coolant, gearbox and rear differential fluids. Spark plugs too.

Definitely do rod bearings if they haven't been done. And do the engine mounts while you're at it.

Check the DCT oil pan for leaks. If it's leaking replace the pan and all filters.

Check air filter and cabin filters.
I have a 6 speed so I wouldn't need to check the DCT oil pan right? And do you have any recommendations on brands for the oil and the other parts? Or is the standard Liqui Moly and etc good enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #7
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:

DIY Throttle Actuators:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735033

Where to Buy
Personal Message BOOF-M3
https://www.usa.rebuild.org.uk/
OR in the USA
https://eupartspalace.com/shop/

Replace the fuel tank breather valve while you're in there. The car can still be driven in limp mode. However, the throttle actuator codes may disappear on restart. The codes can be cleared with the Carly Ap - BUT - the codes will increase in frequency from say coding once a quarter, to once a month to once per day until failure.
Thank you so much for the link to the write up and where to get them from!! Seems like a great deal with the lifetime warranty. How often do they usually go out?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Thank you so much for the link to the write up and where to get them from!! Seems like a great deal with the lifetime warranty. How often do they usually go out?
You should probably invest some time and read this entire thread.
For New Owners - What I wish I knew when I first bought my E9X M3:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418410

As far as I am aware the BMW OEM Throttle Actuators are made by VDO and have failed as soon as 19K miles - or lasted as long as 140K miles. Mine are original (2008), need replacing now, and have 125K miles on them. They have needed replacement for about two and a half years, but I just kept clearing the codes with the Carly Ap. Now they code almost everyday, so I'll be replacing them very soon...
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a 6 speed so I wouldn't need to check the DCT oil pan right? And do you have any recommendations on brands for the oil and the other parts? Or is the standard Liqui Moly and etc good enough?
I tend to stick with original fluids, especially for DCT and diff. Engine oil of your choice. I use Castrol Edge 10W60 but I don't think it's better or worse than any other branded oil of the correct weight. Brake fluid I swear by Endless RF650.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-11-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Looks like I have shortlisted my options. Thanks to all you guys and to this forum and FB group. I’ll leave my list here so it can help those who are having this issue in August 2022 and later.

1. VDO unit from FCP
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...do-13627838085
Advantage: Lifetime Warranty on all FCP products.
Price is $681.99 (per unit)
Verdict: VDO is back-ordered at FCP. They have no idea when they will get new stock. This is out of the question at the moment.

2. OEM unit from FCP
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-13627838085
Pricing: $830.49 (per unit)
Advantage: Lifetime warranty on all FCP products. Currently, in stock.
Verdict: The price is way too expensive. That ends up being over $1600.00 for 2 units.

4. BOOF-M3 at Rebuild USA
He doesn’t have actuators on his website. So, unfortunately, this is no longer an option either. It also seems people are having a hard time getting in touch with him on Facebook groups and forums.

4, Euro Parts Palace (Formerly known as M Power Motorsports)
https://eupartspalace.com/product/bm...ttle-actuator/
Price: $360.00 (per unit)
Advantage: Transferable Lifetime warranty and the price.
Verdict: This seems to be one of the more popular options due to the price and the warranty.

My verdict: I will be placing an order with Euro Parts Palace tonight and will report back on my experience. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

One constant suggestion was replacing the fuel breather valve at the same time. I’ll be getting this from FCP Euro and doing it at the same time as the actuators!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...m3-13907838281
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #11
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Engine Oil = Castrol Edge 10W60 TWS (BMW M3 S65 OEM Factory Fill)
Parts Sources = FCP Euro and/or ECS Tuning
https://www.ecstuning.com
https://www.fcpeuro.com
There are plenty of alternative oil threads such as Motul 600 BUT only a few manufacture a 10W60 synthetic long life oil. See attached .pdf. BMW Dealers now sell the M Twin Turbo Power 10W60 as do the sources mentioned above.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...997kit#fitment
For the Diff I use Red Line and for the DCT a special fluid from SSP due to the Spec-R clutch pack. Since you're car is manual gearbox, I recommend sticking with the OEM factory fill.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Castrol_TWS_10W60.PDF (48.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf M3 Manual PDF-09006.PDF (248.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Mike Miller Lifetime Maintenance Schedule v03.13.pdf (617.0 KB, 29 views)
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Looks like I have shortlisted my options. Thanks to all you guys and to this forum and FB group. I'll leave my list here so it can help those who are having this issue in August 2022 and later.

1. VDO unit from FCP
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...do-13627838085
Advantage: Lifetime Warranty on all FCP products.
Price is $681.99 (per unit)
Verdict: VDO is back-ordered at FCP. They have no idea when they will get new stock. This is out of the question at the moment.

2. OEM unit from FCP
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-13627838085
Pricing: $830.49 (per unit)
Advantage: Lifetime warranty on all FCP products. Currently, in stock.
Verdict: The price is way too expensive. That ends up being over $1600.00 for 2 units.

4. BOOF-M3 at Rebuild USA
He doesn't have actuators on his website. So, unfortunately, this is no longer an option either. It also seems people are having a hard time getting in touch with him on Facebook groups and forums.

4, Euro Parts Palace (Formerly known as M Power Motorsports)
https://eupartspalace.com/product/bm...ttle-actuator/
Price: $360.00 (per unit)
Advantage: Transferable Lifetime warranty and the price.
Verdict: This seems to be one of the more popular options due to the price and the warranty.

My verdict: I will be placing an order with Euro Parts Palace tonight and will report back on my experience. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

One constant suggestion was replacing the fuel breather valve at the same time. I'll be getting this from FCP Euro and doing it at the same time as the actuators!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...m3-13907838281
Yes your comments were correct as I was pushed out of the actuator rebuild business but I am/have been back and we are rebuilding S65/85 throttle actuators here in the USA with same/next day shipping with great success and will always be priced lower than our competitor's currently priced @$340 although we are considering lowering our prices even further. M3Post members can enjoy an additional $40 off for a set of actuators which brings you to $640 for a set and ship same day. Compare our price with our competitors….
Discount code BOOF40

https://rebuild-usa.com
Appreciate 1
M3JayM72.00
      11-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

BOOF-M3 Hey, when I tried to contact you a few months ago when I needed throttle actuators, you were not to be found anywhere which was unfortunate. Whatever the case was, you could’ve easily called me back or texted me. Many other people posted the same thing about you. Judging from your history on M3Post, it seems like you go MIA every year or a few months at a time. What if someone needed a warranty on their throttle actuators and you were not available and went MIA again?

Nonetheless, I’m sure the entire community knows that Jason Bayliff is the original throttle actuator engineer and rebuilder who has been doing so for around a decade now and is the Gold Standard for TA rebuilds. I spent hours searching this topic and in every forum or FB group I searched, everyone pointed me in his direction. I even reached out to you because of your thread that you started on the Bimmerpost saying you are distributing Jasons units stateside. Heck, you even named your business Rebuild because you wanted to be known as Rebuild UK’s distributor.

Jason Bayliff can you tell us what’s going on over here? Is he still distributing your units? Are you going to back up the warranty claims?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BOOF-M3 Hey, when I tried to contact you a few months ago when I needed throttle actuators, you were not to be found anywhere which was unfortunate. Whatever the case was, you could've easily called me back or texted me. Many other people posted the same thing about you. Judging from your history on M3Post, it seems like you go MIA every year or a few months at a time. What if someone needed a warranty on their throttle actuators and you were not available and went MIA again?

Nonetheless, I'm sure the entire community knows that Jason Bayliff is the original throttle actuator engineer and rebuilder who has been doing so for around a decade now and is the Gold Standard for TA rebuilds. I spent hours searching this topic and in every forum or FB group I searched, everyone pointed me in his direction. I even reached out to you because of your thread that you started on the Bimmerpost saying you are distributing Jasons units stateside. Heck, you even named your business Rebuild because you wanted to be known as Rebuild UK's distributor.

Jason Bayliff can you tell us what's going on over here? Is he still distributing your units? Are you going to back up the warranty claims?
Sure, did you call me? Text me? PM me? Would love to see the screenshot of your attempts to locate me. But if we must go there… I see you are located within 1 hour driving from my competitor and you joined up in May of 2022 which was about 1 month into my purgatory. Very interesting that you attempted to contact someone who wasn't selling actuators at the time uou joined. I did not "go out of business" from my own doing. Unfortunately the big boys in the rebuild business insisted on a monopoly here in "North America". I read alot about wanting to "help the M community". Well I am helping the M community by offering rebuilds for $340 and if you use the discount code BOOF40 that will give an additional $40 off a set of actuators. So that's $320 per, not bad when you look at others pricing so thank you for the opportunity to allow me to let members know about our sale one more time.
After reading your post one more time… As Joe Biden says "come on man" you know I'm not working jason any longer. Stop the charade as anyone in the know, knows what you are up to and who you know.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
OperationGraphiteM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Quote:
BOOF-M3 Hey, when I tried to contact you a few months ago when I needed throttle actuators, you were not to be found anywhere which was unfortunate. Whatever the case was, you could've easily called me back or texted me. Many other people posted the same thing about you. Judging from your history on M3Post, it seems like you go MIA every year or a few months at a time. What if someone needed a warranty on their throttle actuators and you were not available and went MIA again?

Nonetheless, I'm sure the entire community knows that Jason Bayliff is the original throttle actuator engineer and rebuilder who has been doing so for around a decade now and is the Gold Standard for TA rebuilds. I spent hours searching this topic and in every forum or FB group I searched, everyone pointed me in his direction. I even reached out to you because of your thread that you started on the Bimmerpost saying you are distributing Jasons units stateside. Heck, you even named your business Rebuild because you wanted to be known as Rebuild UK's distributor.

Jason Bayliff can you tell us what's going on over here? Is he still distributing your units? Are you going to back up the warranty claims?
Sure, did you call me? Text me? PM me? Would love to see the screenshot of your attempts to locate me. But if we must go there… I see you are located within 1 hour driving from my competitor and you joined up in May of 2022 which was about 1 month into my purgatory. Very interesting that you attempted to contact someone who wasn't selling actuators at the time uou joined. I did not "go out of business" from my own doing. Unfortunately the big boys in the rebuild business insisted on a monopoly here in "North America". I read alot about wanting to "help the M community". Well I am helping the M community by offering rebuilds for $340 and if you use the discount code BOOF40 that will give an additional $40 off a set of actuators. So that's $320 per, not bad when you look at others pricing so thank you for the opportunity to allow me to let members know about our sale one more time.
After reading your post one more time… As Joe Biden says "come on man" you know I'm not working jason any longer. Stop the charade as anyone in the know, knows what you are up to and who you know.

The crew that you have in the USA – who is it? Are they an engineer? What's their background? What are they rebuilding? What components are being used? How are the units being tested before they go to customers? This is basically a new product so everyone should know these details. There are too many unanswered questions.

BOOF-M3 you're a respected person on this forum but you have to understand where these questions would come from. There should be no unknowns here. Don't take offense to someone calling you out. I'm out. Stay classy, my friends. We don't need another shit show on the forums.
Appreciate 1
pjacobs23.50
      11-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #16
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The crew that you have in the USA – who is it? Are they an engineer? What's their background? What are they rebuilding? What components are being used? How are the units being tested before they go to customers? This is basically a new product so everyone should know these details. There are too many unanswered questions.

BOOF-M3 you're a respected person on this forum but you have to understand where these questions would come from. There should be no unknowns here. Don't take offense to someone calling you out. I'm out. Stay classy, my friends. We don't need another shit show on the forums.
Abdul, everyone knows it's you. Stop fishing for information. It's pathetic.

Go rip off some more products.
Appreciate 4
BOOF-M34451.50
pjacobs23.50
      11-04-2022, 08:50 PM   #17
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Quote:

Wait for it…

Ok straight from the horses mouth and if anyone thinks I'm capable of coming up with the comment below on my own then you haven't read my "4000" posts of bad music and getting gum stuck in my spark plugs.

"We use a highly skilled automotive electronics technician with many years of experience in the automotive sector to perform the re-work. An electronics engineer would not typically perform board rework, they work in development, creating the product for manufacturers. I think that term gets confused often.

Each unit is functionally and electrically tested before they go out using a system by VDO/Siemens, made to specifically test these units. We do see failed units and they are put to the side for further investigation and recovery. Our return rate in time will show this.

The semiconductors are Fairchild. There are 5 power MOSFETs on the board that typically see the most abuse and failure. These are proactively replaced. Other components are tested for proper values, as well as the unit being tested on the device above. The voltage regulator is checked for proper operation, voltages, etc during these powered on tests.

We also perform a physical rebuild of the unit body. Cleanout of the body and motor, lubricating components, replacing gearing. It's a full offering.

I do have concern about how you have crafted this inquiry though, seemingly to discredit. Can you show me another post where you have asked for the internal workings of a vendor and a specific product? Seems a bit odd that you have been on the forum a very short time, are you with a vendor? We all can work together, this doesn't need to be one man owned market, we can support each other".
Appreciate 2
pjacobs23.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      11-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #18
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

There I fixed it:

hope my engineers response helped and I have a $100 discount for an Alpine tune for you if you would like. Message me for the discount code. Boof out~

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:58 PM   #19
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
abdul, everyone knows it's you. Stop fishing for information. It's pathetic.

Go rip off some more products.
lollolololol
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      11-04-2022, 11:59 PM   #20
pjacobs
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Playing devil's advocate here — I do think OP’s judgment here was a bit over the top. He had valid points regarding who’s doing the rebuilds and what’s being rebuilt though. Personally, if I were to purchase throttle actuators, or actually any products. I still don't think that's clear but who gives a shit, I hope I f.... never need TA's.

BOOF-M3 I don’t think you need to take is so personal. As a outsider and a potential customer, I can easily the confusion here. You started off as distributor for Rebuild UK and named your company Rebuild USA. Somewhere in the middle, you stopped distributing Rebuild UK units but end up keeping the same name. Don’t you see the confusion here. I see that you changed the first message on your thread but in all my years on bimmerpost, I’ve never scrolled to the first page of a thread to see an edit. Maybe you should’ve made it clear as a new post as well. But now it’s clear so let everyone sleep in peace.

tdott I see you here. I'll reply to you about the magnetic shifters now. I probably have an extra lying around that I can send you.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
tdott3941.00
      11-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #21
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobs View Post
Playing devil's advocate here — I do think OP's judgment here was a bit over the top. He had valid points regarding who's doing the rebuilds and what's being rebuilt though. Personally, if I were to purchase throttle actuators, or actually any products. I still don't think that's clear but who gives a shit, I hope I f.... never need TA's.

BOOF-M3 I don't think you need to take is so personal. As a outsider and a potential customer, I can easily the confusion here. You started off as distributor for Rebuild UK and named your company Rebuild USA. Somewhere in the middle, you stopped distributing Rebuild UK units but end up keeping the same name. Don't you see the confusion here. I see that you changed the first message on your thread but in all my years on bimmerpost, I've never scrolled to the first page of a thread to see an edit. Maybe you should've made it clear as a new post as well. But now it's clear so let everyone sleep in peace.

tdott I see you here. I'll reply to you about the magnetic shifters now. I probably have an extra lying around that I can send you.
Not taking it personally "it's only business"
Appreciate 1
pjacobs23.50
      11-05-2022, 01:19 AM   #22
pjacobs
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Apprecoate the PM. I replied to you there and I’ll say it again. I do think youre reading too much into the situation and assuming things just like some of the other posters. Hes a newbie asking about f…. Tire sizes. I clearly see the confusion here. You still carry the rebuild name for f…. sakes. Anwyays, the dude made his point. You made yours. Period.
I hope that I never have to contact you or anyone else that sells TA’s. We should be using our rage against BMW for making such a shitty prodcut in the first place. How dare they! Maybe your tech guy or Jason should get hired by BMW so they can solve their never ending issues of figuring out how electrical components work. E39 Vanos units Ta’s, ICV’s and the list goes. Good night
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50