BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-17-2022, 03:47 AM   #1123
eddiegordo
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any clipping/popping in mine, so might have been a bad batch or something?

Definitely worth raising this with Mr12Volt, it's not a cheap device so you shouldn't just accept it as it is.
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      08-17-2022, 08:43 AM   #1124
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Mr12Volt support was super responsive on Whatsapp, has anyone actually contacted them about this issue? It's certainly possible it's just a faulty harness that needs replacing. I also wonder if the internal routing of the MOST patch cable is just not in a good position and movement is interfering with it inside the dash. I had a MOST connection issue the first time because my unit was packed in too tightly and bending the MOST cables tightly isn't acceptable.
      08-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #1125
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Mr12Volt support was super responsive on Whatsapp, has anyone actually contacted them about this issue? It's certainly possible it's just a faulty harness that needs replacing. I also wonder if the internal routing of the MOST patch cable is just not in a good position and movement is interfering with it inside the dash. I had a MOST connection issue the first time because my unit was packed in too tightly and bending the MOST cables tightly isn't acceptable.
Did you read their response in the Porsche forum thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #1126
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
Quote:
Did you read their response in the Porsche forum thread?
Looks like a solution by September. Will they provide free updates for the rest of us? Whoever is having this issue could reference the Porsche thread and see what would be possible for us
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:21 AM   #1127
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
Def noticed over the years that vendors on these forums tend to get away with a lot for whatever reason (maybe due to vendor sponsorships and the moderator censorship that comes with that) and folks don't seem to push back when a product is questionable or at worst, faulty.

I find this clipping/popping really irritating and it annoys the shit out of my wife, because it sounds like rocks hitting the windshield when you're at speed. The Carplay interface is nice of course, but that is the same utility provided by every other Carplay interface available for this platform. The audio side is what I would assume attracted most people to this device, but with the MOST bus interruptions it is bordering ununsable.

Since a few people chimed in that this topic was being discussed on the Porsche forums, I checked out the threads over there. We have not been as pushy and demanding as the Porsche folks have and I found two threads detailing the issue and the demand that was made to the vendor that it be fixed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post18301184

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/m...4#post-2714169

Those are the specific posts but others chimed in as well. Apparently mr12volt are well aware of the issue and are targetting an early September fix, so we will see.
Does this problem manifest itself when your car is stationary, or only when driving - and presumably subject to some movement/vibration?

The reason I ask is - so far mine has not demonstrated this problem, but

1. I have not been able to drive anywhere since completing the installation (muscle spasm in shoulder caused by installing some electronic stuff in my car...lol)
2. I have the P2000 box located inside the glove compartment, so all connections/cables etc are quite "relaxed", unstressed.

I have listened to loads of music without any issue, but all with the car stationary.
      08-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #1128
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Does this problem manifest itself when your car is stationary, or only when driving - and presumably subject to some movement/vibration?

1. I have not been able to drive anywhere since completing the installation (muscle spasm in shoulder caused by installing some electronic stuff in my car...lol)
2. I have the P2000 box located inside the glove compartment, so all connections/cables etc are quite "relaxed", unstressed.

I have listened to loads of music without any issue, but all with the car stationary.
Happens both when the car is stationary and while driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #1129
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

Same here. I have installed a couple of P2000s, both inside the dash and some underneath the glovebox area which was shared here in this post: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=907

No clicking or popping issues.

The cables are relaxed and unstressed with no 90-degree angles. Given enough slack and everything tucked neatly.

In previous experience, some of the cars I have worked on in the past have experienced popping/clicking noises from aftermarket angel eyes which emit noise/frequencies that will even interfere with the OEM headunit. So there are many factors to take into consideration before drawing a conclusion towards the P2000.
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      08-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #1130
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
No clicking or popping issues.

The cables are relaxed and unstressed with no 90-degree angles. Given enough slack and everything tucked neatly.
No issues here also, my unit is secured and cables are neatly arranged, no sharp bends that would damage the fiber optic cable.
Appreciate 1
GORDON.M31418.50
      08-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #1131
Raphc
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

Just chiming on this clicking issue. I've had both units (lights and DSP) installed for months without any clicking.
I have an RHD e82 and installed it behind the drivers kick panel with some effort to manage cables so they don't rattle around.

Unit is near perfect with the only negative being the terrible call quality for the other party. I have resorted to using the BMW system for calls.
If anyone has had success in improving this, please share.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:45 AM   #1132
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphc View Post
Just chiming on this clicking issue. I've had both units (lights and DSP) installed for months without any clicking.
I have an RHD e82 and installed it behind the drivers kick panel with some effort to manage cables so they don't rattle around.

Unit is near perfect with the only negative being the terrible call quality for the other party. I have resorted to using the BMW system for calls.
If anyone has had success in improving this, please share.
I think microphone placement is pretty important, somewhere the mic won't be susceptible to sound/wind noise.

I have secured mine down next to the rearview mirror plastic box that holds the windshield wiper sensors. People can hear me loud and clear, but they do happen to hear the exhaust also. It sounds much like if I was on speaker phone handsfree with my cellphone, good but not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:02 AM   #1133
fdrxseven
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335, F02 740LI

I have had my mr12volt light and DSP installed on my CCC E92 for almost a year, there is no popping or clicking sound neither, i must say until now the unit is nearly perfect with the digital audio source. i placed the microphone to my driver A-Pillar and i thought the mic handsfree is doing good too. i just hate about the procedure of removing the head unit out for mr12volt to get software update, so i would definitely get a sd card extender.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:12 PM   #1134
Raphc
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I think microphone placement is pretty important, somewhere the mic won't be susceptible to sound/wind noise.

I have secured mine down next to the rearview mirror plastic box that holds the windshield wiper sensors. People can hear me loud and clear, but they do happen to hear the exhaust also. It sounds much like if I was on speaker phone handsfree with my cellphone, good but not perfect.
I placed mine in the spare slot next to the factory mic. Sound quality is fine apperently. Just loads of echo for the caller. Played around with echo cancellation settings but no improvement.
I've given up and just use the CIC for calls and MR12V for everything else.

I have the same echo issue in my Toyota that also has an aftermarket carplay/ AA unit. They both seem to have the same kind of firmware. So I'm going to assume this is a firmware issue and nothing to do with hardware.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #1135
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

just finished installing (ouch those connectors suck). no idea how people fit it to the side of the HU, there's just no room. installed it behind the glovebox, but i'll need to get back in there and fiddle a little as i think the glovebox isn't properly aligned now.

question -- is there a writeup of someone doing the front camera? i bought one and would love to get it in the same spot as the pic in the first page of this thread, but not sure if that needs the bumper to come off? not signing up for that!

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #1136
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
question -- is there a writeup of someone doing the front camera? i bought one and would love to get it in the same spot as the pic in the first page of this thread, but not sure if that needs the bumper to come off? not signing up for that!
Sorry I didn't do a write up for the front camera. I was able to drill a hole in the center of the bumper while on the car and then fish the wire up towards the passenger headlight area which was a bit tricky but possible, then tucked it behind the harness and taped it with tesa tape to make it look oem, and it goes up towards the dme box then into the car behind the glovebox area.
Appreciate 1
kolosy1474.50
      08-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #1137
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sorry I didn't do a write up for the front camera. I was able to drill a hole in the center of the bumper while on the car and then fish the wire up towards the passenger headlight area which was a bit tricky but possible, then tucked it behind the harness and taped it with tesa tape to make it look oem, and it goes up towards the dme box then into the car behind the glovebox area.
awesome, thanks.

also -- not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread (sorry, didn't get through all 52 pages ), my install required no coding. full plug and play.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #1138
mnnguy
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 m3

I was looking around at adding a front view camera to see how far curbs are when running a lip.

Has anyone found what front view camera companies like bimmertech or even the older alekshop front view camera used? It looks super clean for the install and most of these cameras are generic ones that can be found from aliexpress, but I had no luck searching for it.

Last edited by mnnguy; 08-23-2022 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #1139
Evgenyproject
Rep
Drives: F30 330

I have question for those who have installed a REVERSE CAMERA.
I have SoftClose and when I open the car and start, then reverse out, I get no picture from the camera. If I put D so immediately comes the front camera dog then I switch again to R then I also have the image from the rear camera.

How did you connect it? Did you connect the + and - cables to the rear light?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #1140
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenyproject View Post
I have SoftClose and when I open the car and start, then reverse out, I get no picture from the camera. If I put D so immediately comes the front camera dog then I switch again to R then I also have the image from the rear camera.

Thanks
The + cable of the camera should go directly to the Mr 12 Volt. The - should either go to a proper chassis ground like one of the bolts in the battery well. You are able to get the camera working without grounding it at all, and some have had this work better than grounding it. I tried this approach and am having some intermittent interference issues, still have not tried to debug it. Works 75% of the time but get occasional interference or no signal at all. Possibly a bad connection on my part.
      08-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #1141
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The + cable of the camera should go directly to the Mr 12 Volt. The - should either go to a proper chassis ground like one of the bolts in the battery well. You are able to get the camera working without grounding it at all, and some have had this work better than grounding it. I tried this approach and am having some intermittent interference issues, still have not tried to debug it. Works 75% of the time but get occasional interference or no signal at all. Possibly a bad connection on my part.
not disagreeing that it's possible to get it working without grounding, but not sure i understand how that's possible? is it grounding itself through the rca cable then?

one way or another, it needs to complete the power circuit...

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 03:20 PM   #1142
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
Quote:
not disagreeing that it's possible to get it working without grounding, but not sure i understand how that's possible? is it grounding itself through the rca cable then?

one way or another, it needs to complete the power circuit...
The RCA cable shield is acting as the ground. Folks who ground it normally have complained of flicker. But I had no issues with that setup on my previous carsara box so your results may vary. Can always try it with no ground and see if it works as intended. Just hook the red wire up from the RCA cable to the cam 12v wire of the MR12Volt harness and make sure you've selected the right settings in the menu.
      08-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #1143
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The RCA cable shield is acting as the ground. Folks who ground it normally have complained of flicker. But I had no issues with that setup on my previous carsara box so your results may vary. Can always try it with no ground and see if it works as intended. Just hook the red wire up from the RCA cable to the cam 12v wire of the MR12Volt harness and make sure you've selected the right settings in the menu.
interesting. yeah, i have it working and grounded to chassis via it's actual ground. no flicker once it's going but it does do the "turn an old tv on" effect on boot.. is that what people are referring to, or ongoing through the feed?

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #1144
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenyproject View Post

Thanks
For manual car, you need to connect the 12V lead to the reverse light to be the trigger for the reverse camera. You may experience flickering or black screen due to the PWM state of how power is delivered to the accessories/lights on our cars. You need to purchase an additional 12v stabilizer or "rectifier" which is what they call it.
Appreciate 0