BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-06-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Best cheap (temporary) dampers for track?

DISCLAIMER - I have an E92 335i. The track forum there is dead, so I figured this is a better place to ask since we share the same chassis!

So the day has finally come. After years of "talking about it", I'm finally going to begin the journey of turning my E92 335 to be a proper track car. After 218k miles and 16 years of ownership since I picked it up new in Munich, it's the best way to justify keeping this car to which I have an unhealthy emotional attachment. I now have an '06 911 Carrera S as a weekend car and a gold '15 Lexus RX350 (aka SexyLexi) as a daily.

Engine still runs like a top and has an aluminum CSF radiator ready to (hopefully) kill limp modes. However, my Koni yellows are probably 80k miles past their expiration date. One is leaking very badly.

I still want to give the car at least several track days before going "all in" to ensure the engine responds well to them. So, do you have any recommendations for any temporary dampers that could fit the bill as I improve the car and my driver skill?

My budget is only about $6K for this project this year (with more to come each year). So, I'd like to spend it on maintenance first....and not just blow $3K of it on KW Clubsports yet.
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:05 PM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
DISCLAIMER - I have an E92 335i. The track forum there is dead, so I figured this is a better place to ask since we share the same chassis!

So the day has finally come. After years of "talking about it", I'm finally going to begin the journey of turning my E92 335 to be a proper track car. After 218k miles and 16 years of ownership since I picked it up new in Munich, it's the best way to justify keeping this car to which I have an unhealthy emotional attachment. I now have an '06 911 Carrera S as a weekend car and a gold '15 Lexus RX350 (aka SexyLexi) as a daily.

Engine still runs like a top and has an aluminum CSF radiator ready to (hopefully) kill limp modes. However, my Koni yellows are probably 80k miles past their expiration date. One is leaking very badly.

I still want to give the car at least several track days before going "all in" to ensure the engine responds well to them. So, do you have any recommendations for any temporary dampers that could fit the bill as I improve the car and my driver skill?

My budget is only about $6K for this project this year (with more to come each year). So, I'd like to spend it on maintenance first....and not just blow $3K of it on KW Clubsports yet.
Find a used set of MCS 1 Ways, can probably find some for $2.5k or so (I’m actually selling a set that will fit your car with the addition of M3 rear lower arms). Another important mod will be LSD in the future, this was one of the most noticeable mods when I tracked my 1 series.

You could just go konis and camber plates but I'd say the best budget coils are Bilstein Pss10 (with linear spring upgrade) or Fortune Auto 500's in the monotube category / ST XTA in the twin tube category. Those are the ones I have experience with...
      02-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Bilstein B8's and Swift springs?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 06:38 PM   #4
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

cant go wrong with BCs for like less than a $1000 new, then upgrade to swifts for a hundred or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:01 PM   #5
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
cant go wrong with BCs for like less than a $1000 new, then upgrade to swifts for a hundred or so.
Interesting - I had never heard of BC's until you mentioned them! I also haven't frequented forums in quite some time, so that's likely why. I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Bilstein B8's and Swift springs?
Also hadn't heard of Swift springs, but am certainly intrigued now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Find a used set of MCS 1 Ways, can probably find some for $2.5k or so (I’m actually selling a set that will fit your car with the addition of M3 rear lower arms). Another important mod will be LSD in the future, this was one of the most noticeable mods when I tracked my 1 series.

You could just go konis and camber plates but I'd say the best budget coils are Bilstein Pss10 (with linear spring upgrade) or Fortune Auto 500's in the monotube category / ST XTA in the twin tube category. Those are the ones I have experience with...
Unfortunately those are all out of my budget now. Maybe something to upgrade to a couple years or so from now once I find the car can keep holding up on track days at its high mileage. Hoping it will with all of the preventative maintenance I've put into it over the years!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #6
M eyedoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, f10 M5

My personal opinion would be to start with replacing the koni yellows with the same. Replace brake pads with a track oriented compound (plenty of discussion on the forum), flush and fill with high temperature brake fluid. Spend whatever is needed on maintenance, and Spend the rest of your budget on track time. As a new track driver, you will have just as much fun with a basic setup as you would with a full out trackcar. Same concept with tires. The cars, even in stock form, are more capable than any of us. Same concept with tires. Start with a performance street tire not a track tire. You will actually learn more about driving from a hard tire than a soft. Most importantly, have fun! Just my $0.03.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:28 PM   #7
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M eyedoc View Post
My personal opinion would be to start with replacing the koni yellows with the same. Replace brake pads with a track oriented compound (plenty of discussion on the forum), flush and fill with high temperature brake fluid. Spend whatever is needed on maintenance, and Spend the rest of your budget on track time. As a new track driver, you will have just as much fun with a basic setup as you would with a full out trackcar. Same concept with tires. The cars, even in stock form, are more capable than any of us. Same concept with tires. Start with a performance street tire not a track tire. You will actually learn more about driving from a hard tire than a soft. Most importantly, have fun! Just my $0.03.
I think it’s a huge generalization to say that these cars in stock form are more capable than “any of us”

Not that one can’t learn to operate within the limits of oem capabilities but when you advance to the point of using the entire track while riding the edges grip, some of the oem components becoming a limiting factor.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had 90k miles on my EDC suspension and I went with cheap coilovers where one corner failed at full rebound.

Then I found a lower mileage stock EDC suspension kit with HAS in the FS section and I've been loving it on track. I also refreshed all the control arms in the last two years which helps a ton.
      02-12-2023, 08:10 AM   #9
M eyedoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, f10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
I think it’s a huge generalization to say that these cars in stock form are more capable than “any of us”

Not that one can’t learn to operate within the limits of oem capabilities but when you advance to the point of using the entire track while riding the edges grip, some of the oem components becoming a limiting factor.
Absolutely agree. My point is more that unless one of us is Bill Auberlen, Bruno Spengler, Augusto Farfus, or any other professional BMW driver, we may not be getting Absolutely everything out of our cars. At the same time, I have never seen a new to the track student that has properly reached that level either. Some will over drive the car, but that is not the same thing. But yes, I openly admit to making a huge generalization.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:55 PM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I had 90k miles on my EDC suspension and I went with cheap coilovers where one corner failed at full rebound.

Then I found a lower mileage stock EDC suspension kit with HAS in the FS section and I've been loving it on track. I also refreshed all the control arms in the last two years which helps a ton.
yeah but to be fair, you went with ISC, which was already shady brand at most.

vs like BC which again same supplier, but better support vs ISC.

i think for a 335I, the best upgrades he can do us the REAR M3 Lower Control Arm + E9XM3 Thrust Arm with G.A.S. Monoball inserted.

would be a better investment over coilovers now that i think about it.

could in theory get away with that set up and lowering springs vs coilovers. budget wise for less than $1000.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 01:30 PM   #11
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input! Although they certainly aren't the best, it seems the BC's may be the way to go for that price point. I may have access to wholesale pricing on them too.

A new set of Koni Yellows on lowering springs are only $300 or so less than BC BR's. I figure with their camber & ride height adjustability that those will carry me a for a few more years of track days until I actually want an upgrade (if I even want one then at all).

Any other reason the Koni Yellows would still be better? I'd rather not go with Bilstein B8's because the firmness can't be adjusted. I've done a handful of track days, and I know I do prefer that extra firm & sensitive feeling while on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i think for a 335I, the best upgrades he can do us the REAR M3 Lower Control Arm + E9XM3 Thrust Arm with G.A.S. Monoball inserted.
100% agree! Planning to install front & rear M3 lower control arms (I can get those wholesale). Already have had Synchro Design Works monoball thrust arms installed for a few years now too.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi, I think you should get out there and not worry about mods.

From what I remember when those cars were new, you'd run into heat issues and couldn't finish more than a few laps at full speed at a time.

Based on that, you may have to work on engine cooling more than suspension or brakes.
Appreciate 1
Ab28592.50