BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-06-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Valved mufflers, how to maintain functionality?

This isn't a DIY but I'd like to make a DIY.
I have the iPE F1 valved muffler for almost 2 years and I want to make sure or see how do I maintain it's functionality.
Do I spray somewhere with WD-40, do I need to scrub anywhere. Electrical is electrical. I'm looking at the mechanical function so it doesn't seize/freeze from snow/rust etc

Any with tips? This could be self-explanatory but I haven't played with the underbelly in a year since I haven't seen my car in a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:09 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Good question. Generally the mechanical components need no maintenance. It's either they work or they don't. More often than not, it's the electronic components like controller box or vacuum solenoid that will fail first.

That said, I replaced my valvetronic mufflers recently (custom made, not IPE) and after a few months, one of the mufflers developed a sticky valve. The actuators worked fine, but one of the valves had a sticky bearing, preventing it from closing. I tried all different kinds of lube - WD40, dry PTFE lube, bicycle chain lube - and none would work for more than 1-2 mths, likely due to the extreme heat. Then I chanced upon WD40 Spray & Stay Gel Lubricant. Used it once and the valve has worked perfectly since. Great stuff!

TL;DR - Generally, no maintenance needed. But if you feel the need to do something, spray some lube on the valves inside the exhaust tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Route 16843.50
      04-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Good question. Generally the mechanical components need no maintenance. It's either they work or they don't. More often than not, it's the electronic components like controller box or vacuum solenoid that will fail first.

That said, I replaced my valvetronic mufflers recently (custom made, not IPE) and after a few months, one of the mufflers developed a sticky valve. The actuators worked fine, but one of the valves had a sticky bearing, preventing it from closing. I tried all different kinds of lube - WD40, dry PTFE lube, bicycle chain lube - and none would work for more than 1-2 mths, likely due to the extreme heat. Then I chanced upon WD40 Spray & Stay Gel Lubricant. Used it once and the valve has worked perfectly since. Great stuff!

TL;DR - Generally, no maintenance needed. But if you feel the need to do something, spray some lube on the valves inside the exhaust tips.
Nice I will definitely look into this product
Appreciate 0