BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #11507
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Any tips on cleaning calipers of brake dust after a track day? I have yellow calipers and used sonax but there's a lot of dust baked on that didn't come off initially. Haven't tried anything else yet so figure I'd ask for any pro tips.
No scrubbing? Sonax appreciates some agitation.
      02-23-2020, 11:06 PM   #11508
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Any tips on cleaning calipers of brake dust after a track day? I have yellow calipers and used sonax but there's a lot of dust baked on that didn't come off initially. Haven't tried anything else yet so figure I'd ask for any pro tips.
No scrubbing? Sonax appreciates some agitation.
Well I did agitate with a wheel woolie through the spokes of my wheels but I mean I haven't removed the wheel to really attack it
      02-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #11509
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

So while I'm waiting to clean my new calipers, I figured I'd report my results. Last track day at Laguna was on OEM everything and DTC 70 pads front and rear. I cooked everything but the pads did work well so I bought the corvette brembo 6 piston calipers and set up the car for my first day at thermal (north+south circuit). Setup was oem rotor, dtc 70 pads and new front calipers. Running RBF 660 on prior setup and this setup. The kit allows me to run a larger rotor, but I wanted to control the upgrades to see how each worked.

Results: night and day difference. Was out-braking my buddy in his C63 black series all day and had no issue of over heating or fade. I was seriously surprised, to be honest. Also, my rotors are in much better shape after this day than my last track day.

Looking forward to upgrading to a better, larger rotor for next round but very happy with the upgrade so far.
      02-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #11510
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I do left foot breaking even in my manual car on certain sectors so transitions are immediate. I've done plenty of practice on the street where you slam on the brakes in the beginning.

One time I also want paying attention and my left foot was on top of the brake pedal and I went to clutch in. Lol. Yikes.

On the track it's easier since I know which sections I'm using it in.
      02-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #11511
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I had mine coated prior foreseeing this issue. I'm about to try DSUno on my vette brembos calipers perhaps later in April. Still have PFC08 rears, not really ideal but it'll do.

Interestingly 204 Black Series have the same caliper, no idea what disc. What pad/tyre was he on? Might be that extra weight.
      02-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #11512
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Awesome, thanks ThunderMoose. So for TT - I assume the no brainer comes from the combo of price, comparable pace, & how quick they turn on, right?

So what I am wondering is for ST. Since there is not much (read nothing...) happening in ST3 in our region I guess I am going to run in ST2. With my modifiers I would be running at ~ 9.4:1. There is not much more room to cut weight without going to places I don't want to go to for wheel to wheel racing. Power is pretty much where it is going to be, maybe can get a bit more out of it. Either way I'm well off the 8:1 minimum for ST2 & could easily absorb the penalty for non DOT tires. But if the pace is only comparable then I'm not sure they would be of benefit there either? The longer time to get to temp might actually be a negative in these short races & short warm up to green flag?
One thing that no one is mentioning is that track temps matter when it comes to tires. A pirelli DH is going to be better when it's 90F and sunny than an A7 will be (high track surface temps). The A7 will likely be overheated, melted, and greasy within 1-2 laps whereas the DH will be in its prime. On a 50f day, the A7 will be so soft they will pull high g's, but, the Dh will never come up to full temp.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      02-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #11513
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
One thing that no one is mentioning is that track temps matter when it comes to tires. A pirelli DH is going to be better when it's 90F and sunny than an A7 will be (high track surface temps). The A7 will likely be overheated, melted, and greasy within 1-2 laps whereas the DH will be in its prime. On a 50f day, the A7 will be so soft they will pull high g's, but, the Dh will never come up to full temp.
I was wondering about that for when summer comes around. Does the R7 become more favored over the A7 when its starts to get hot? And the Pirelli should definitely start to compare favorably at that point, right?

I obviously need to do some testing - I'm curious on the shorter races like in NASA where they are 20 to 25 min long where they all would rank when it is hot outside.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #11514
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Anyone here running a clutch LSD, specifically OS Giken? Does it make a squeak (pop?) sound like in the video below? Mine does it when I get on or off the throttle.

Not sure if it's normal LSD sound, or if something is loose in the rear axel/subframe causing the noise. I also have Powerflex Purple diff bushes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #11515
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I was wondering about that for when summer comes around. Does the R7 become more favored over the A7 when its starts to get hot? And the Pirelli should definitely start to compare favorably at that point, right?

I obviously need to do some testing - I'm curious on the shorter races like in NASA where they are 20 to 25 min long where they all would rank when it is hot outside.
My coach broke TT3 track record by 1 second at VIR on 12+ HC A7's on his 9th lap in 90 degree weather. Not saying they don't drop off but I don't think it's as much as people think.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #11516
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Anyone here running a clutch LSD, specifically OS Giken? Does it make a squeak (pop?) sound like in the video below? Mine does it when I get on or off the throttle.

Not sure if it's normal LSD sound, or if something is loose in the rear axel/subframe causing the noise. I also have Powerflex Purple diff bushes.
I have an OS Giken Superlock LSD. I have stock OEM diff bushings. My diff does not make any of those sounds as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:21 AM   #11517
OG Shark
Rep

Mid Ohio - yay or nay?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:12 AM   #11518
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Mid Ohio - yay or nay?
Yay! I plan to go back in May with NASA.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #11519
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Mid Ohio - yay or nay?
I might be biased, but yay. Which event you doing?

02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #11520
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Yay! I plan to go back in May with NASA.
I'm re-thinking my April outing. Have been planning on Hallett with the SCCA Hoosier tour - finish both races and I should be eligible for the nationals so we can keep that option open for later. But as of now no one is signed up in T1...

NASA is at Eagle's Canyon that same weekend...

WRL is at Mid Ohio...

Haven't been to any of those and all 3 sound awesome. Mid Ohio appeals the most to me but I'm basing that just on videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #11521
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
I might be biased, but yay. Which event you doing?

Would be WRL. Endurance is my favorite format too. Track looks awesome, thanks for the video.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #11522
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I'm re-thinking my April outing. Have been planning on Hallett with the SCCA Hoosier tour - finish both races and I should be eligible for the nationals so we can keep that option open for later. But as of now no one is signed up in T1...

NASA is at Eagle's Canyon that same weekend...

WRL is at Mid Ohio...

Haven't been to any of those and all 3 sound awesome. Mid Ohio appeals the most to me but I'm basing that just on videos.
Hallett is one of my favorites! But other opportunities to go later in the year, BMW CCA usually races there in the fall.
I vote ECR, if you haven't been yet since the repave that track is very fun to drive.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #11523
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I'm going to make a more detailed post and upload some better pictures in one of the rod bearing threads, but I couldn't wait to share! Cylinder 1 and 2 bearings were the only ones worn down to the copper after 163k miles. Can't wait to get it back out on track in a few weeks at Road Atlanta!

Name:  old rod bearings.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  594.6 KB
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #11524
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
I'm going to make a more detailed post and upload some better pictures in one of the rod bearing threads, but I couldn't wait to share! Cylinder 1 and 2 bearings were the only ones worn down to the copper after 163k miles. Can't wait to get it back out on track in a few weeks at Road Atlanta!

Attachment 2247239
How many track days ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #11525
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Hallett is one of my favorites! But other opportunities to go later in the year, BMW CCA usually races there in the fall.
I vote ECR, if you haven't been yet since the repave that track is very fun to drive.
ECR does probably make the most sense. Unless the participation all of the sudden jumps for Hallett then it’s likely a no go anyway. Good to hear they are both good options. Mid Ohio still in the running though, sounds like an awesome weekend.

Do you know if bmw cca ever adds races during the year? See the have September open right now, would be nice if hallett popped up there
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:11 AM   #11526
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
ECR does probably make the most sense. Unless the participation all of the sudden jumps for Hallett then it’s likely a no go anyway. Good to hear they are both good options. Mid Ohio still in the running though, sounds like an awesome weekend.

Do you know if bmw cca ever adds races during the year? See the have September open right now, would be nice if hallett popped up there
Hard to say on cca adding any more...so far in my experience probably not the case with how things get planned so far in advance and whatnot, but I suppose it’s always possible! The trick is that budgets for track rentals are already really really tight and barely break even so it’s tough if there’s not a ton of participation.

I know the north Texas “lone star” chapter is really trying to boost racing participation. Race school at MSR in May will hopefully help with that.
COTA races in June looks to still be moving forward, and we did Hallett last year so not sure why we wouldn’t do a race weekend there again this year. Dates for the hpde are currently set for September.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #11527
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Hard to say on cca adding any more...so far in my experience probably not the case with how things get planned so far in advance and whatnot, but I suppose it’s always possible! The trick is that budgets for track rentals are already really really tight and barely break even so it’s tough if there’s not a ton of participation.

I know the north Texas “lone star” chapter is really trying to boost racing participation. Race school at MSR in May will hopefully help with that.
COTA races in June looks to still be moving forward, and we did Hallett last year so not sure why we wouldn’t do a race weekend there again this year. Dates for the hpde are currently set for September.
I'm signed up for the COTA race in June - really looking forward to it as it will be my first event with the cca. Hopefully they get a few more entries, not a good track to have light attendance - will kill the budget quickly. Only 3 of us signed up in B Modified right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #11528
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
How many track days ?
20 events/30 days spread across ~3 years
Appreciate 1