BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Becker cutback

I did some searches and found very little info about this. If it was even this same setup?
Anyone tried this recently?
I know it's not a "high end " exhaust system by any means... but for $850 and then I'm assuming a tune to clear the CES it could be worth playing with?
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Looks like it would be super loud and drone a bunch too. I'd pass
      08-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I've had this for about two years. Loud? Yes. Drones? Sort of. It's not bad but sound is subjective. Anthing below 2k Drones depending on gas load. I usually drive in the 2.5k-3k RPM range and it's fine for me. I've actually cut the resonators out of the x-pipe and welded the entire exhaust up because clamps don't work on the x-pipe. I at least couldn't get it to work with various different sizes so I ran with a small exhaust leak for a couple months before I welded it up. Also, the catback curve/elbow near the diff fins for the catback might rest on it. When I had the resonators removed, I added an inch to clear the diff fins. I also wrapped that area in heat wrap because the stock system has heat shields near the diff. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT USE THE HEADER-TESTPIPE GASKETS IT COMES WITH! I had a terrible experience chasing false misfires / limp modes because of the gasket it comes with. Just get new ones from BMW.

For the price, and a little fab work I figured it's a no brainer. No complaints on quality. I get tons of compliments on the sound and its great to hear the V8 scream to redline. Why would I spend 4K+ on something that does the same thing? At least that is the way I looked at it.

I'm curious to know why the price fluctuates so much. Bought mine for $975, then saw it jump to $1,200 a few months later. Now its at $699. Cheers to you I guess. I might eventually get Becker's headers if I ever find time to install them. Hope this helped.
      08-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Try it out and let us know Not sure if anyone has that setup here.
Appreciate 1
Norms67.00
      08-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Placing the order in the morning !
Why not right?!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
I've had this for about two years. Loud? Yes. Drones? Sort of. It's not bad but sound is subjective. Anthing below 2k Drones depending on gas load. I usually drive in the 2.5k-3k RPM range and it's fine for me. I've actually cut the resonators out of the x-pipe and welded the entire exhaust up because clamps don't work on the x-pipe. I at least couldn't get it to work with various different sizes so I ran with a small exhaust leak for a couple months before I welded it up. Also, the catback curve/elbow near the diff fins for the catback might rest on it. When I had the resonators removed, I added an inch to clear the diff fins. I also wrapped that area in heat wrap because the stock system has heat shields near the diff. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT USE THE HEADER-TESTPIPE GASKETS IT COMES WITH! I had a terrible experience chasing false misfires / limp modes because of the gasket it comes with. Just get new ones from BMW.

For the price, and a little fab work I figured it's a no brainer. No complaints on quality. I get tons of compliments on the sound and its great to hear the V8 scream to redline. Why would I spend 4K+ on something that does the same thing? At least that is the way I looked at it.

I'm curious to know why the price fluctuates so much. Bought mine for $975, then saw it jump to $1,200 a few months later. Now its at $699. Cheers to you I guess. I might eventually get Becker's headers if I ever find time to install them. Hope this helped.
Really appreciate the feedback! A little loud is ok by me, I only drive the car in weekends and with the intent of having fun and making a little noise!
I'll order gaskets at the same time. Definitely appreciate that input. Might take me a few but I'll post pics and sound video once it's done!
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

I noticed you have Lynchburg in the location. I can give you a ride in my car if you ever come up north near Great Falls for Katie's C&C. It's like a three hour ride but if you ever find yourself up here on a weekend lmk.
      08-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms View Post
Really appreciate the feedback! A little loud is ok by me, I only drive the car in weekends and with the intent of having fun and making a little noise!
I'll order gaskets at the same time. Definitely appreciate that input. Might take me a few but I'll post pics and sound video once it's done!
Cheers
Don't worry, a lot of people on this forum don't know what LOUD is . I ran full straight pipes to an acm 4 pipe mod and that was by far the loudest car I've ever heard. This setup has resonators and the mufflers look like they are straight through so I'm guessing it'll have a deeper pitch. Upload a video here when you get it installed.
Appreciate 1
Norms67.00
      08-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry, a lot of people on this forum don't know what LOUD is . I ran full straight pipes to an acm 4 pipe mod and that was by far the loudest car I've ever heard. This setup has resonators and the mufflers look like they are straight through so I'm guessing it'll have a deeper pitch. Upload a video here when you get it installed.
I was toying with the idea to remove the mufflers in the rear since I already removed the x-pipe resonators. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Also, someone made a video and I can confirm this is what it sounds like.
      09-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was toying with the idea to remove the mufflers in the rear since I already removed the x-pipe resonators. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Also, someone made a video and I can confirm this is what it sounds like.
Well the exhaust came in Tuesday, immediately loaded it in moving blankets and took it my usual exhaust shop. Sadly he had to turn me away due to it being "catless" legal BS and didn't want to risk his reputation... whatever! Lol
So I finally had some time today and was able to get the rear section installed onto the factory x pipe. Louder? Definitely! Deep and throaty, not sure I like it..... but had to try it without the x pipe it came with. Tried to put the car up onto the same ramps I did the rear with, ummm competitor package = hell no! Lol didn't want to deal with jacking and stands. So opted to pull a bunch of leftover pavers from behind the outbuilding! It's 7 1/2" under the wheels and I should be able to wiggle my way to what I need to! If not it's a quick trip to Home Depot for a few more. Exhaust was hot and it just rained on us, will load pics and hopefully sound vids tomorrow afternoon!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Cold start teaser.

So it's loud, rattles the windows of the house in the evening when going through cold start routine. Deep and "bassy" (is that even a word)! I've put maybe 20-25 miles on it and the looks I get are mixed. The couple of guys I came up on in the ricer that was thumping the tunes turned it down as I came up to the light next to them downshifting from 4th to 2nd and then 1st at as I stopped. The window la came down and they asked "what exhaust is that"? So I imagine it's a bit louder than I can get away with for too long! Cruising down the road the sound is respectable.... but when leaving a red light especially if I'm not at the front of the pack I can almost feel the sound bouncing off the nearby cars! It's amazing! Lol but I know it'll get me plenty of attention and tickets! The "whopp" sound when shifting (DCT) at about 35-3800 RPMs... is so addicting I find myself slowing down on purpose! I'm thinking I need to throw a resonator or two in line to soften it a bit? Going to run it again this coming weekend and get some sound vids, I'll be sure to get the full mix:
take off (normal driving, that's going to be hard to do)
take off as I like to do!
Drive by's
and of course downshifting approaches from a couple angles to try and capture the feel.
I wish it could stay as is but know I'll get popped sooner or later. And the noise and emissions tickets aren't cheap!

Almost forgot! Drone.... yep! 1800-2200 rpm but not terrible, I don't usually cruise in that range anyway. But have tried to find the worst spots along with the best. Haven't redlined her yet, it's definitely going to need to be out where "if a tree falls, no one hears it" lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Do you have just the muffler or an xpipe as well?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #15
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Wow I forgot how much bassy-er it can be. Removing the xpipe resonators made mine sound a lot more raspy and louder than that. It sounds good IMO. If you can deal with how loud it is I don't see why this isn't a good choice.

As a fellow Virginia resident, I have been driving mine catless for almost two years and no issues. *knock on wood* Yes, I will swap my catless setup to stock to pass emissions. It's really not hard. I've also never been pulled over specifically for being loud. Cops pull me over mostly because of tint unfortunately. 35% front and 20% rear. Enjoy the V8.

Also, are all four of your tips aligned? My left inner tip is a hair pointed down which is noticeable. Might swap my tips out anyway because they tuck too much under the bumper IMO.
      09-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Do you have just the muffler or an xpipe as well?
Full system, from headers back. X-pipe with two small resonators and then it splits into one small muffler for each tip.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      09-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #17
Norms
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow I forgot how much bassy-er it can be. Removing the xpipe resonators made mine sound a lot more raspy and louder than that. It sounds good IMO. If you can deal with how loud it is I don't see why this isn't a good choice.

As a fellow Virginia resident, I have been driving mine catless for almost two years and no issues. *knock on wood* Yes, I will swap my catless setup to stock to pass emissions. It's really not hard. I've also never been pulled over specifically for being loud. Cops pull me over mostly because of tint unfortunately. 35% front and 20% rear. Enjoy the V8.

Also, are all four of your tips aligned? My left inner tip is a hair pointed down which is noticeable. Might swap my tips out anyway because they tuck too much under the bumper IMO.
It's definitely Bassy! I like that aspect, you can feel the ground vibrate as it goes through cold start! I am working on throttle management to see if I can quiet down my "casual driving" take offs to not draw too much attention, but working nights lately makes it difficult. Being one of only 3-4 cars at a stop light and trying to sneak away unnoticed is a bit nerve racking. Lol the tips are all straight but it did take a little adjusting on the hangers that come off the actual mufflers to get them level to each other. And I agree the inboard tips barely protrude from under the bumper and the outboard tips are basically flush. I was thinking I might add an inch or so in front of the mullets as you did to clear the differential to get it back a little further? Mine also is within a half inch of touching the diff. So I have to cut and add there also.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms View Post
It's definitely Bassy! I like that aspect, you can feel the ground vibrate as it goes through cold start! I am working on throttle management to see if I can quiet down my "casual driving" take offs to not draw too much attention, but working nights lately makes it difficult. Being one of only 3-4 cars at a stop light and trying to sneak away unnoticed is a bit nerve racking. Lol the tips are all straight but it did take a little adjusting on the hangers that come off the actual mufflers to get them level to each other. And I agree the inboard tips barely protrude from under the bumper and the outboard tips are basically flush. I was thinking I might add an inch or so in front of the mullets as you did to clear the differential to get it back a little further? Mine also is within a half inch of touching the diff. So I have to cut and add there also.
Yeah I added an inch to clear the diff and added heat wrap around that area. I might just end up getting different tips and weld those in or something.
      05-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #19
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thread back from the dead. I just purchased an e92 m3 with Becker x-pipe and catback. I’ve only driven it 4 hours and the rear seats were down cause I’m hauling stuff... but, the drone. Holy shit drone from idle to 2k rpm. Intolerable.
Maybe if I add some cats or something. It sounds fine at 3k for cruising, but my brothers home has a bunch of 15 mph speed limits and I felt like we rattled everyone’s china as we drove by...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

A lot are a little too loud. You could try adding resonators or cats. Only 2 resonators is not enough for most people under 25. If you are under 25 and need a loud exhaust as a mating call, the exhaust can never be too loud.

I have 4 resonators and a Megan and it’s still louder than I want. I may swap in 2 longer resonators.

A valve on one side of the rear exhaust could help. There are valves exhausts but they are expensive. You can buy an aftermarket one. Many BMW have vacuum actuated valves for one rear pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:18 AM   #21
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

https://youtu.be/XaCKoAgNpr8
Appreciate 0