BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Did i cause carly to break my car? Speedo +abs issue

I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can chime in on my issue. Yesterday I used my carly to code my drl angel eyes, adjust some hvac settings, and set my digital speedo to true speed (which i found out today is not available in the us---at least according to the app).

After that I put the car away until today when i went to drive it. All seemed fine at first. After about half a mile i noticed the speedo needle jumping around and after it settled i had an abs light come on. I got to a place where i could stop and check the codes and clear the fault(s). Turns out i had the code 005DB3 which corresponds to a rear left speed sensor.

I cleared the code hoping it would go away, but it didn't. Odd thing is that every time after i clear the code and proceed to drive the car, the speedo needle sits at 0 mph until about 20-25 mph, after which the needle shoots to the right speed and the abs lights go on.

This seems to be an awfully strange coincidence--half mile after coding the car, this fault come on. I will note that i just got the rear tires replaced. However, i put 75+ miles on the car without issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation? Is the sensor really broken or does something need to be recoded or reconfigured through carly?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've coded 100+ cars with Carly and never had a similar issue. I recommend reverting all modules you coded back to stock if you believe this issue is related to coding. The app automatically backs up each module so just choose the oldest one to revert back. After that, scan car and clear codes. In my opinion I don't think this is a coding issue but worth a shot to rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Now i have a different code that replaced the previous: 5db6. This one i cannot clear with carly. Ugh....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I've coded 100+ cars with Carly and never had a similar issue. I recommend reverting all modules you coded back to stock if you believe this issue is related to coding. The app automatically backs up each module so just choose the oldest one to revert back. After that, scan car and clear codes. In my opinion I don't think this is a coding issue but worth a shot to rule it out.
How do you select the original codes? I don't see anything that mentions the default settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Quote:
How do you select the original codes? I don't see anything that mentions the default settings.
http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...evert-codings/
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the link. I took your advice and loaded the original codes into the ecus that I played with. Good news is that fault 5DB6 went away, but I am still left with the original 5DB3 and the weird speedo needle delay mentioned above. If it is the wheel speed sensor, that's not the worst thing in the world. It just seems odd from a timing perspective. I disconnected the battery for good measure and I will go back out and reconnect after a couple of hours to see if that changes anything.
Appreciate 0