BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

How to transfer call from car to phone when exiting car?

When I'm in the car talking over bluetooth through my iPhone 3GS, come to my parking spot, I feel like I'm a prisoner inside my car. How do I transfer the call from the car to my iPhone? Holding the Start button down will shut off the engine, but the call is still transmitting through the car's speakers. So I feel like I can't leave the car because my Navigation screen still displays the live call. So I just sit there in my car until the phone call is over.

In my Acura, I just pressed the telephone button on my steering wheel, said, "Transfer" and the call was transferred to my phone. It was so easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
on my non-dan M3
i just walk away from the car and when i am far enough from the car
the sound automatically transfers to phone
just like when i am on the phone and i enter the car and start the engine
the sound automatically switches to the M3

you can also transfer from the iphone itself
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Walking away from the car will transfer huh? So do I just tell my caller, "Hang on...let me get away from the car first." Once I'm far enough, check my phone and I should be able to talk to my caller on my phone?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

On your iPhone when the call is active, you will see an audio source button in the top left. Tap that and change the source from BMW to iPhone and you will then hear through the earpiece of your phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Walking away from the car will transfer huh? So do I just tell my caller, "Hang on...let me get away from the car first." Once I'm far enough, check my phone and I should be able to talk to my caller on my phone?
or you could say
one sec
and continue after the sound transfers
that's what i do and its never been a problem
it doesn't take that long
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 INFINITI FX35

Quote:
When I'm in the car talking over bluetooth through my iPhone 3GS, come to my parking spot, I feel like I'm a prisoner inside my car. How do I transfer the call from the car to my iPhone? Holding the Start button down will shut off the engine, but the call is still transmitting through the car's speakers. So I feel like I can't leave the car because my Navigation screen still displays the live call. So I just sit there in my car until the phone call is over.

In my Acura, I just pressed the telephone button on my steering wheel, said, "Transfer" and the call was transferred to my phone. It was so easy.
I used to own a 2007 335i and i didn't have bluetooth. when the lease was over i decided i needed a sporty SUV because of the heavy winters in toronto. I went with the 2009 infiniti FX35 fully loaded. Which is insane when it comes to technology. back to my point which was the bluetooth when I'm on the phone and enter my car it would go switch from my phone to the car speakers as soon as I turn on the engine or the 2nd mode of the start button (electrical mode, dunno what you call it not radio mode). Also when i'm on the phone in the car and go out it would switch to my phone. One thing it wont switch unless the car is turned of. Basically as soon as you switch off the car it goes to my phone. I never tried to keep the car on and exit and walk away. are you asking about that? or when you turn off the car and want to walk out but can't? if the engine is turned off the car should switch to phone by itself i mean the iphone should do it by itself also if you are leaving the car and you didnt turn of the engine you have to do the switch manually on the iphone there is a button on the iphone that says devices and it will show you speaker car or headset. I didn't get my M3 yet but are you saying that you turn of the car completely and it wont switch to the phone? that doesn't make sense because the bluetooth is cut off as soon as you turn of the car isn't it then the iphone switches automatically. i think of it as having a bluetooth headphone and being on a call and you turn it off, i know for a fact that the iphone will realize that and switch to phone by itself so thats basically what happens with the car. but you are saying the nav idrive still shows the car. does the M3 have 4 modes on the start button? you know what i mean (the off mode, radio mode, electrical mode without engine on, engine on mode) if you are in electrical mode the car will regnozie the call and it will stay there if you turn of the car completely it wont. My 335i had 4 modes thats why I'm asking. Let me know sorry for the detailed reply im curious about your question cuz that would be a dumb thing from BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

I know on my last two phones (Nokia E71 & Iphone 3G(s), I just hit a button to transfer from bluetooth device to handheld. This was handy for when I had to take a private call and I had passengers in the vehicle. I imagine the same can be done for when leaving the vehicle.
      08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

I know on the wifey's Lexus IS350 if she is in a call in the car once she turns the car off it goes back to the phone after a second or two...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

You can switch your sources on your iPhone. It ill give you the choice of using either your car, bluetooth headset or your iPhone. I do it everytime I park and get out of the car while in a conversation.
      09-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
I think this is what he is talking about and I have the same problem in my M3 and in my old 335.

-You are on a call in the BMW via bluetooth.
-You park and turn off the car, heck even push the button twice, and if you dont have CA, take the key out
-You switch the audio source to "iPhone"
-The call sound goes to the iPhone, but the counter in the Nav display continues and if you were listening to anything from an audio source before the call, that sound will now takeover.
-You exit the BMW, talking on your phone(holding to head) and lock the car.
-The audio source or sound can still be heard with the doors closed. or if the audio source had been muted you can still see counter on the display.
-There is no "goodbye" BMW screen that we are use 2.

Is this correct? Because This is the issue that I face as well, and have confirmed on at least 5 different E90's with iDrive/Nav.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have a iPhone 3GS. I know how to switch the call from the car's speakers to my handset. The problem is when I park, shut down car, transfer call to handset, open my door, shut my door, my navigation screen still shows the call in progress. Do I simply walk away from the car, and the navigation screen will shut off by itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

its because the key is still inserted! by removing the key it will automatically transfer the call from your iphone..

same as when you enter the car. insert they key without starting the car. you will notice your bluetooth will going to activate as long as you turn on the stereo...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a iPhone 3GS. I know how to switch the call from the car's speakers to my handset. The problem is when I park, shut down car, transfer call to handset, open my door, shut my door, my navigation screen still shows the call in progress. Do I simply walk away from the car, and the navigation screen will shut off by itself?
Exactly.... The screen still shows that the call is in progress and the counter continues...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

On my Windows mobile phone it is simply a nice little menu pick while in the phone/dialer app that says "switch hands free off", click that and boom, you are done, immediate transfer from through the BT/car speakers to the handset.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
On my Windows mobile phone it is simply a nice little menu pick while in the phone/dialer app that says "switch hands free off", click that and boom, you are done, immediate transfer from through the BT/car speakers to the handset.
Yes my iPhone has the same thing... We are talking about how the car doesn't fully turn off if you are still on a call. The screen still stays on.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Get out and lock it for the CA folks?
      09-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjjman007 View Post
Yes my iPhone has the same thing... We are talking about how the car doesn't fully turn off if you are still on a call. The screen still stays on.
My post was aligned to the original topic not this subtopic which began mid thread. Cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0