BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-20-2023, 02:37 PM   #1
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Steering Wheel Knocking Clunking Issue

I am having an issue with my steering wheel / column experiencing intermittent clunking not while turning but when going over certain cracks and especially uneven pavement where one wheel is affected and not the other. The noise is can be subtle or it can be quite loud because it seems to reverberate through the dash depending on the harshness of the road imperfection. It's definitely more noticeable at lower speed. I'm not really feeling any play in the steering or noises when turning lock to lock. The noise seems to be centered on the steering wheel but back towards the firewheel either in the column or the the bay. I am thinking though the steering column not the culprit but play downstream is causing it to vibrate / make noise.

6 months ago I refreshed my suspension with the exception of the tie rods. A few weeks ago I hit a steel plate covering a hole in the road at about 40. Unfortunately I was in the flow of traffic, didn't see it coming and no one was slowing down for it which is crazy to me. I checked the recently replaced components and all good. I retorqued the top nut of my struts last weekend. I also checked the steering rack to subframe bolts and the lower steering shaft bolt where it connects to the rack. I had to remove the air filer housing box to get to it and turn the wheel to the correct position to expose it. I couldn't get to the bolt that connects the shaft to the steering column. I exposed it from the interior but didn't have a tool that could reach it do to the proximity / angle with the firewall opening.

I'm thinking it is either the tie rods or the steering shaft. I am hoping it is one of the two since they are relatively low cost. Although access for the steering shaft is very difficult.

Just curious if anyone has any idea what it could be? I am going to investigate the tie rods this evening to see if there is any obvious play.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
I am having an issue with my steering wheel / column experiencing intermittent clunking not while turning but when going over certain cracks and especially uneven pavement where one wheel is affected and not the other. The noise is can be subtle or it can be quite loud because it seems to reverberate through the dash depending on the harshness of the road imperfection. It's definitely more noticeable at lower speed. I'm not really feeling any play in the steering or noises when turning lock to lock. The noise seems to be centered on the steering wheel but back towards the firewheel either in the column or the the bay. I am thinking though the steering column not the culprit but play downstream is causing it to vibrate / make noise.

6 months ago I refreshed my suspension with the exception of the tie rods. A few weeks ago I hit a steel plate covering a hole in the road at about 40. Unfortunately I was in the flow of traffic, didn't see it coming and no one was slowing down for it which is crazy to me. I checked the recently replaced components and all good. I retorqued the top nut of my struts last weekend. I also checked the steering rack to subframe bolts and the lower steering shaft bolt where it connects to the rack. I had to remove the air filer housing box to get to it and turn the wheel to the correct position to expose it. I couldn't get to the bolt that connects the shaft to the steering column. I exposed it from the interior but didn't have a tool that could reach it do to the proximity / angle with the firewall opening.

I'm thinking it is either the tie rods or the steering shaft. I am hoping it is one of the two since they are relatively low cost. Although access for the steering shaft is very difficult.

Just curious if anyone has any idea what it could be? I am going to investigate the tie rods this evening to see if there is any obvious play.
Here's a list of things to consider:
1) A broken front spring
2) Broken front anti-roll bar or strut connection (Swing Support)
3) Loose rack mounting bolt(s)
4) Broken shock
5) Broken strut top Guide Support
6) Loose steering wheel height adjuster clamp
See images with part names below
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #3
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
What about the tension strut? Could that be damaged with a hit like a metal plate or pot hole?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Agreeing with the others, sounds like something is broken/failing on the suspension.

Did you try jacking up the car and compressing one side of the suspension to introduce lateral torsion (to simulate going over bumps and uneven pavements)? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get a visual on anything that’s broken/cracked. Best case you’ll hear the clunk as you raise each wheel independenly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #5
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the replies. I finally had some more time this past weekend to look into it further.

I replaced the sway bar end links on Saturday. Even though the old ones were shot, the news ones didn't resolve the issue.

I swapped both EDC front struts out with a spare set of EDC front struts I had and the suspension feels a little better going over certain road conditions but still didn't resolve the clunking / knocking issue.

6 months ago I replaced the control arms and all of those bushings are in good shape. I've tightened the steering rack bolts to the subframe. The tie rods seem ok.

I'm thinking it has to be the steering shaft. Either it is loose or a universal joint has failed causing play and thus a knocking noise going over rough road conditions. I'm gonna keep digging but at this point I might just take it to a shop to have them diagnose the issue.
Appreciate 0