BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-04-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
GiorgioE82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Signature Werks BBK...

So my question is... If they are allegedly not true Brembos, how come Brembo hasn't gone after them?

Not looking to start a flame war, although it seems that may be inevitable 🤷🏻‍♂️

But yeah, considering that they pop up tons of times a day in my social media feeds I wonder the above
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

From a recent related post...
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=433

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioE82 View Post
So my question is... If they are allegedly not true Brembos, how come Brembo hasn't gone after them?

Not looking to start a flame war, although it seems that may be inevitable 🤷🏻‍♂️

But yeah, considering that they pop up tons of times a day in my social media feeds I wonder the above
Brembo does enough education on how to identify knockoffs. The onus is on the buyer to be aware. It's not worth their time/effort/money to go after every small shop out there selling fake brembos. Same in any industry, including luxury goods.

That said, the fakes from China now have come a long way. It is near impossible to spot fakes just looking at the outside. And then we have many unscrupulous shops claiming to sell 'real Brembo calipers with OEM discs'. The only real way to tell a fake caliper these days is by looking at the piston dust boots. If it doesn't have a Brembo logo or part number on it, the caliper is likely fake.

Even if the caliper is authentic Brembo, many of these retrofit kits using Alfa/AMG/Porsche calipers require custom rotors with custom center hats. They may be cheap to buy but you may not be able to get replacement rotors when they wear out. A 380mm disc does not automatically mean it uses the same replacement friction rings as the original Brembo GT kit. If you plan to keep the car for a while I absolutely would avoid retrofit kits, regardless of whether the calipers are authentic or not. You're better off getting a used branded bbk.
Appreciate 3
Z K1888.50
IamFODI365.50