BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

08-10-2023, 12:03 AM   #1
armenier
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

E92 m3 Bilstien B6 vs B16 vs KW DDC

Hello I recently purchased an e92 m3 non comp with the comp rims.

I wanted to upgrade the suspension so that it handles better while retaining the EDC compatability of the vehicle and noticed theres 3 prominent suspension options.

1) bilstein b6
2) bilstein b16
3) kw DDC

Additionally i wanted to inquire if its worth getting any of these sets and swapping out the springs with the SWIFT Springs that everyone raves about and gives good reviews.

My main concern is to get the best road performance, while retaining a reasonable amount of comfort for dailyability. I do not want an EDC delete setup.

My car has 64k miles rn and i would prefer to do something which changes the stock material and feel.

I appreciate any feedback from the community regarding this.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Arrow

Tons of posts/info on all products noted, suggest...

Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Lucase83
Rep
Drives: E36

1) Tractive
2) bilstein b6
3) bilstein b16
4) kw DDC

https://tractivesuspension.com/shop/...or-oe-fitment/

Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      08-17-2023, 08:22 PM   #4
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ESS G1 BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenier View Post
Hello I recently purchased an e92 m3 non comp with the comp rims.

I wanted to upgrade the suspension so that it handles better while retaining the EDC compatability of the vehicle and noticed theres 3 prominent suspension options.

1) bilstein b6
2) bilstein b16
3) kw DDC

Additionally i wanted to inquire if its worth getting any of these sets and swapping out the springs with the SWIFT Springs that everyone raves about and gives good reviews.

My main concern is to get the best road performance, while retaining a reasonable amount of comfort for dailyability. I do not want an EDC delete setup.

My car has 64k miles rn and i would prefer to do something which changes the stock material and feel.

I appreciate any feedback from the community regarding this.
I was like you and wanted to keep my EDC so I got the B16's. I had them on the car for about a year and hated them. I got the Ohlins RT and wish I would have bought them first. It's not that hard to change the settings I cut a hole in the trunk to adjust the rears (see photos, the gray caps come off to adjust the rears) and the fronts can be adjusted while on the ground if you get creative. IMO the RT is a great option. Its 10+ settings from hard to soft.
Attached Images

Concealed Weapon: 11 BMW e92 M3 DCT ESS G1
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      08-18-2023, 01:39 AM   #5
armenier
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Thanks for the replies. What did you hate about the b16's? I heard the stiffest setting is too stiff but the comfort and sport (normal) mode is relatively good for daily use. Was it too harsh?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 04:27 PM   #6
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I was in the exact same situation. I wanted to upgrade suspension but maintain EDC. But then I drove my friend's car who has Ohlins R&T installed. It really is the best of both worlds. It is comfier than stock dampers in eco mode, but feels more planted than when in sport mode. I am going to install the R&T and code out EDC.

Before that experience, though, I was about to pull the trigger on B6 EDC dampers and swift springs. I have read great things about that combo on here, and only lowers the car to comp-package height, maybe a hair lower. It's the "OEM+" combo in my opinion.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

irokwrx where did you get the gray caps from?

Also interested to hear your impressions of the B16 kit and what you didn't like about it. I am debating the non edc Bilstein PSS10 kit vs the Ohlins RT. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 09:55 PM   #8
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ESS G1 BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
irokwrx where did you get the gray caps from?

Also interested to hear your impressions of the B16 kit and what you didn't like about it. I am debating the non edc Bilstein PSS10 kit vs the Ohlins RT. Thanks.
Sorry for the delay, wifey has cancer and sometimes she gets all free time.
The b16's were to hard, I felt everything. If I ran over a dried leaf.... I felt it... Lol. Maybe I got a bad set but others have said the same. When I took them off I thought I could sell them for a couple bucks but they were so stiff and wouldn't compress. I threw them away after only being on the car a year. Like I said maybe I got a bad set, the softest setting was like the EDC hardest. It was just bad. The caps I got off Amazon. I used a drill bit used for door handles to cut the hole. Ohlins knows how to make coilovers..... I love mine!
Concealed Weapon: 11 BMW e92 M3 DCT ESS G1
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:18 PM   #9
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

First of all very sorry to hear about your wife. Wishing you both the best.

Thank for taking the time to respond. I would have never thought to use a hole saw but that's a great idea. I love the clean look of the caps.

Good to know about the Ohlins. I think I might pull the trigger soon.
Appreciate 1
irokwrx765.00
      08-29-2023, 01:03 PM   #10
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokwrx View Post
Sorry for the delay, wifey has cancer and sometimes she gets all free time.
The b16's were to hard, I felt everything. If I ran over a dried leaf.... I felt it... Lol. Maybe I got a bad set but others have said the same. When I took them off I thought I could sell them for a couple bucks but they were so stiff and wouldn't compress. I threw them away after only being on the car a year. Like I said maybe I got a bad set, the softest setting was like the EDC hardest. It was just bad. The caps I got off Amazon. I used a drill bit used for door handles to cut the hole. Ohlins knows how to make coilovers..... I love mine!
ok wow dude that really sucks. Wishing the best from over here <3

Question: when you installed them, did you reset EDC modules? I have heard the computer stiffens them over time to compensate for the valves wear out

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 1
nah dude237.00
      09-25-2023, 11:06 AM   #11
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
ok wow dude that really sucks. Wishing the best from over here <3

Question: when you installed them, did you reset EDC modules? I have heard the computer stiffens them over time to compensate for the valves wear out
Guessing it was this. I have B16s on my car and the comfort setting is very compliant and just as soft as OEM EDC suspension. The difference between all 3 modes on the B16s is very noticable and I switch between them all the time depending on road surface.

Also laughing at the idea of throwing out $3500 coilovers after a year.
Appreciate 2