BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #133
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
This guy does not make any sense. He says that they did not go with wider rear tires because it would decrease the steering precision. Wider rear tires are not good for overall handling according to him. Last time I looked Porsche and Corvette had some immense rear tires so that theory is nonexistent. He is just trying to justify why they did not put wider rear tires on this new Gt500. This was the same old issue with the 2007 version.
or...the fact that they could have easily done it but then they would have to tinker with the steering geometry and upgrade to better parts. His kind of thinking is what keeps the costs down.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #134
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
or...the fact that they could have easily done it but then they would have to tinker with the steering geometry and upgrade to better parts. His kind of thinking is what keeps the costs down.
That's disappointing. I thought they would have improved that area as this was a complaint early on. What is the point of having 650 hp if you don't have the proper size tires to make use of it?

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #135
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
This guy does not make any sense. He says that they did not go with wider rear tires because it would decrease the steering precision. Wider rear tires are not good for overall handling according to him. Last time I looked Porsche and Corvette had some immense rear tires so that theory is nonexistent. He is just trying to justify why they did not put wider rear tires on this new Gt500. This was the same old issue with the 2007 version.
This has a lot to do with the configuration and weight distribution of the car. The Porsche has most of its weight rearward, and the engine over the drive wheels.

The Corvette has the engine firmly behind the front axle and the transmission in the rear.

The Mustang is front heavy. If you put tires on the front that are too wide, steering responsiveness will be hurt. If you put narrower in front and superwide in rear, you will be prone to understeer. There is lot to be balanced here given the overall configuration of the car.

As far as other comments in this thread, there is no doubt that American cars have stepped up their game. The C7 vette will apparently have an appropriately upscale interior. The 2013 Viper will be 700hp. Have you seen the SRT line? Look at the performance, the fit and finish and the standard features. It's no joke.
      03-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #136
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
This has a lot to do with the configuration and weight distribution of the car. The Porsche has most of its weight rearward, and the engine over the drive wheels.

The Corvette has the engine firmly behind the front axle and the transmission in the rear.

The Mustang is front heavy. If you put tires on the front that are too wide, steering responsiveness will be hurt. If you put narrower in front and superwide in rear, you will be prone to understeer. There is lot to be balanced here given the overall configuration of the car.

As far as other comments in this thread, there is no doubt that American cars have stepped up their game. The C7 vette will apparently have an appropriately upscale interior. The 2013 Viper will be 700hp. Have you seen the SRT line? Look at the performance, the fit and finish and the standard features. It's no joke.
I see what you are saying. I guess it would not be feasible to change those things with the current configuration. Trying to keep the cost down is truly their enemy. That's a bummer...

I am very interested in the new Corvette C7. I can't wait to see the end result. They are supposedly doing a complete overhaul of the interior to include appropriate race seats.

I was very close to buying the current Z06 Carbon edition a couple of months ago but I came to my senses. Actually my wife made sure of that.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #137
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep

Quote:
That's disappointing. I thought they would have improved that area as this was a complaint early on. What is the point of having 650 hp if you don't have the proper size tires to make use of it?
Well thats nothing that a few aftermarket upgrades can't solve. Thank God that the parts are dirt cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post

I see what you are saying sir but as a Shelby owner i can tell you this...That front end set up could be a LOT lighter straight from the factory. K-Member alone is 42lbs but an aftermarket one is 22lbs and its not a breakthrough technology either. The stock SVT SC is a monster in size (apparently its one of the smaller ones too) so a smaller unit w/smaller pulley on its snout could help. 19" wheels are relatively heavy. Car pulls 0.96g on the skidpad with shitty ass CrapYear F1s. Upgrade to better rubber and this could be half the solution right there. There are solutions that can be addressed by the factory straight from the get go to make this car a well-rounded performer. I don't drag nor strip at the moment so i have no complaints yet. Ok maybe the tires suck donkey cock when i get on it too hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #138
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

I'll give it its credit. It is a fast car. $55k would be a good deal. To join my M3, I just bought the SVT Raptor truck. I looked all around CA and AZ. I saw them priced from $65k to $71k. Finally, after playing the numbers game with dealerships, I found a dealership to get it to me for $1500 below MSRP of $54k as long as I ordered it. That salesman told me that that most vehicles found on lots are marked up a minimum of $5k!!! So if I ordered it I would save. It just sucked waiting 2+ months. So we (Wife and I) placed our order. I continued to look though. Then I found the exact truck I ordered on a lot in San Diego. It was listed at MSRP of $52k+. I played the numbers game with them and ended up getting the truck for $51k + T&L. So if that price of $55k is too good to be true, order one... Especially the SVT models, very hard to come by and most will not negotiate much....

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #139
bimmergoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
I'll give it its credit. It is a fast car. $55k would be a good deal. To join my M3, I just bought the SVT Raptor truck. I looked all around CA and AZ. I saw them priced from $65k to $71k. Finally, after playing the numbers game with dealerships, I found a dealership to get it to me for $1500 below MSRP of $54k as long as I ordered it. That salesman told me that that most vehicles found on lots are marked up a minimum of $5k!!! So if I ordered it I would save. It just sucked waiting 2+ months. So we (Wife and I) placed our order. I continued to look though. Then I found the exact truck I ordered on a lot in San Diego. It was listed at MSRP of $52k+. I played the numbers game with them and ended up getting the truck for $51k + T&L. So if that price of $55k is too good to be true, order one... Especially the SVT models, very hard to come by and most will not negotiate much....
I called around in my area and most said the car will be at least 10k over and others would not even commit, saying that the market will dictate the price. If I can't get one MSRP then forget about it, I'll wait for prices to come down. By that time the new M may be available for order.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #140
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergoat View Post
I called around in my area and most said the car will be at least 10k over and others would not even commit, saying that the market will dictate the price. If I can't get one MSRP then forget about it, I'll wait for prices to come down. By that time the new M may be available for order.
agreed. i absolutely refuse to pay over MSRP on principle. hell, i've never paid actual MSRP on a car before
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #141
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

off track in the corners. hp doesn't mean shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #142
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELSON.MLGB View Post
off track in the corners. hp doesn't mean shit.
yes if you go off the track in corners it could be a problem that hp cant fix.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #143
BMW6Speed
BMW3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

If anyone is to say that this is an American piece of crap, your just being ignorant. M3's are awesome and I will be driving one for my next car, however to say that you would not want one of these as a daily driver? LOL yea RIGHT this car for this price is Insanity. It is a beast and sounds amazing.

2011 335xi Msport
Jb3, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMS Performance Intake, BMS Chargepipe, AR 4" DP
Black Kidneys, 35% Tint, 20% Tail light Tint, Blacked out front reflectors, Painted Black Msport Rims
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #144
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
cant see the vid, but the gt500's tires are AWFUL.

My buddy had a 2011 gt500, and even in stock form there was zero traction in any condition in 1st and 2nd gear.

there is no reason that this car doesnt have 305+ in the rear. and they should put a real tire on the car instead of that POS goodyear tire it comes with.
      03-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #145
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

My buddy had a 2011 gt500, and even in stock form there was zero traction in any condition in 1st and 2nd gear.

there is no reason that this car doesnt have 305+ in the rear. and they should put a real tire on the car instead of that POS goodyear tire it comes with.
I thought the explanation made sense with regard to tire width vs under-steer vs steering feel for this platform. They also changed the gearing to help with traction.

Although, I did have a set of goodyears on my A6 and they were, in fact, utter garbage.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #146
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

At 1st i thought that it was a soft rear set up that made the traction suffer but its just shitty ass CrapYear Eagle Fuk'd1...I believe Ventus is the answer to my problems...305 Ventus, H&R springs with camber plates and i will be ready to at Deal's Gap.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #147
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
At 1st i thought that it was a soft rear set up that made the traction suffer but its just shitty ass CrapYear Eagle Fuk'd1...I believe Ventus is the answer to my problems...305 Ventus, H&R springs with camber plates and i will be ready to at Deal's Gap.
v12?

doubt those tires would improve performance at all. those are soft, cruiser tires. if you mean rs3, then yes, that should help.

assuming you are talking about a gt500?
      03-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #148
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

The used/preowned market is going to be amazing in the next couple of years. I could potentially pick up a track toy for 30k with 500hp+. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #149
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
The used/preowned market is going to be amazing in the next couple of years. I could potentially pick up a track toy for 30k with 500hp+. Wow.
yes sir.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0