BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

09-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #529
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

your not listening you can run any rotor you like with this kit

Stoptech
ecs tuning
Performance Friction Direct Drive
Race Brakes

Just to name a few

I rather carry more corner speed and be in the right rev range on exit by running grippy 18 inch wheels and have a wide range of tyres than be able to stop 1 or 2m faster through bigger brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #530
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm running 18" apex wheels as well, as do many others with other brake kits. I also dropped 21 (twenty one, i didn't leave out a decimal point) lbs of unsprung weight from my front brakes. slightly more than the joke of a "lightweight" rotor that ECS sells that is only 0.7 lbs less weight than an oem. i didn't mention it because its a separate issue of branding exaggeration. less weight doesn't equal "light weight."
i spent about $1k more on my front brakes, (compared to the ak kit and ecs rotors cost in USD) and got actual race pads.

if you're happy with your brakes, cool. i'm not saying they don't have their place in the hierarchy. if you're going to tell me they are flawless, i'll tell you you're wrong.
      09-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #531
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

So the only flaw you pointed out is irrelevant as I posted alternatives.

So in your infinite wisdom that you feel to need to educate us, wheres the other flaws you
think that plague this kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #532
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

-pads not centered on rotors
-caliper pistons not centered on pads
-very little weight reduction where there is much potential to reduce unsprung and rotating weight.
-does nothing to address weakest link of the braking system; the rotors (without adding expensive aftermarket oem replacement rotors)
-requires pad modification (not a huge problem, but something you'll have to deal with)

the cost just doesn't match the increase in performance you get.
      09-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #533
Chuck's M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: with driving gloves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
your not listening you can run any rotor you like with this kit

Stoptech
ecs tuning
Performance Friction Direct Drive
Race Brakes

Just to name a few

I rather carry more corner speed and be in the right rev range on exit by running grippy 18 inch wheels and have a wide range of tyres than be able to stop 1 or 2m faster through bigger brakes.
Quote:
So the only flaw you pointed out is irrelevant as I posted alternatives.

So in your infinite wisdom that you feel to need to educate us, wheres the other flaws you
think that plague this kit.
Quote:
If you want the part numbers of the pads just ask and its easily looked up on the hawk website.

They have pictures and measurements, it really isn't that hard so I don't know why you getting irritated.

The front are basic audi r8 2011

Rear are hb664b.634 from hawk

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb664b634
Quote:
This kit address the weak link in the factory system, you can use any aftermarket oem replacement rotor and pad combo you like.

Nothing wrong with rev 1 kit at all except for looks, I have v1 and v2 and it makes no difference in stopping power at all but Albert doesn't make the v1 kit so I don't understand why you keep going on about it except to try and rubbish the kit.

Albert told me straight up about the unswept area and offered me the v2's as soon as they became available

There is no need to critique any flaws because there is none.

The only kit available is the one he sells which is perfect for track/street use at a fraction of what Brembo would/does charge

Is there cheaper alternatives, possibly. Start a new thread and make a list

But this kit does exactly what it was intended to do,

1 Fit oem rotors or any aftermarket oem replacement rotor
2 Run any brake pad you wish, huge range to choose from with this setup
3 Fit under a factory wheel or any 18" race wheel

Cant say the same thing about the aftermarket kits.
So... Build your own brake kit? I can't because I'm not a brake designer.
In the event of a performance related issues (or worst failure), whose fault would it be? I think it's fair to highlight the potential pitfalls and trade offs in this discussion. It's poor form to simply dismiss alternate opinions on this setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #534
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
-pads not centered on rotors
-caliper pistons not centered on pads
-very little weight reduction where there is much potential to reduce unsprung and rotating weight.
-does nothing to address weakest link of the braking system; the rotors (without adding expensive aftermarket oem replacement rotors)
-requires pad modification (not a huge problem, but something you'll have to deal with)

the cost just doesn't match the increase in performance you get.
Really and you know this how, something you measured or have installed

Expensive replacement rotors compared to ?

I documented the weight savings previously in the thread inc all bolts, pads, rotors, calipers and brackets and it was over 1kg per corner lighter

None of the other manufactures will give you those figures because they are heavier, i've played, installed and manufactured enough of these on other cars over the years and seen the differrent tactics these guys use to mislead the public on weight savings

Here you come with your internet dribble spewing absolute nonsense and trying to inform us about a product you have absolutely no experience with

I've tested these brakes at over 160mph with no issues what so ever at the drag strip and track

We have to do brake test and road worthies here every year and my car alomost halved the required distance to be registered unlike the factory where it just passes

So your so called information holds no merit and your opinion means

Read my sig

Last edited by martymil; 09-24-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #535
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

the weights are well documented.
(Weights in lbs)
OEM
Caliper and bracket 13 lbs.
Disc weight 22.5 lbs.
Pad weight 2.3 lbs.
Total corner brake components 37.8 lbs.

Essex Competition Front Big Brake Kit
Caliper and bracket 7.4 lbs.
Disc weight 17.6 lbs.
Pad weight 2.6 lbs.
Total corner brake components 27.6 lbs.

these are parts i have installed and handled myself. i also replaced my rotor rings with fresh hardware for about the same cost as the ECS rotors. the rotors are expensive relevant to the performance delta.

i think i've done a good job of separating my opinion from fact, you're just choosing to be ignorant to facts.
      09-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #536
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
the weights are well documented.
(Weights in lbs)
OEM
Caliper and bracket 13 lbs.
Disc weight 22.5 lbs.
Pad weight 2.3 lbs.
Total corner brake components 37.8 lbs.

Essex Competition Front Big Brake Kit
Caliper and bracket 7.4 lbs.
Disc weight 17.6 lbs.
Pad weight 2.6 lbs.
Total corner brake components 27.6 lbs.

these are parts i have installed and handled myself. i also replaced my rotor rings with fresh hardware for about the same cost as the ECS rotors. the rotors are expensive relevant to the performance delta.

i think i've done a good job of separating my opinion from fact, you're just choosing to be ignorant to facts.
You cherry picked your comparisons again

You can get better rotors than ecs

Your rotors are way more expensive than ecs and the performance difference
would be minimal if you where to compare the same size rotors

Thats almost 2 kg heavier per corner on front alone than this kit

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=175

Last edited by martymil; 09-24-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #537
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I feel bad for anyone buying this kit. Op cherry picks the arguments he wants left in the thread for 'good' publicity but deletes anything showing how inferior these brakes are. At least be honest about comparisons and if you believe in your product leave all the information out for consumers to read. Bottom line is much better braking systems can be bought for the same price if researched on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #538
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I feel bad for anyone buying this kit. Op cherry picks the arguments he wants left in the thread for 'good' publicity but deletes anything showing how inferior these brakes are. At least be honest about comparisons and if you believe in your product leave all the information out for consumers to read. Bottom line is much better braking systems can be bought for the same price if researched on this forum.
I'd like to see that. Front's alone are usually 3k used.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #539
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
The op had nothing to do wiith getting your post deleted it was me

Your posts got deleted because they had nothing to do with the thread
Brembo on stock calipers

You want to compare/discuss cheap asian kits go right ahead start a new thread
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #540
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Slon-workshop: 6 piston Brembo custom brake kits. 360/380mm oem rotor setup. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423661

Is this another option using stock rotors? These calipers look really nice as well
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #541
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post
Slon-workshop: 6 piston Brembo custom brake kits. 360/380mm oem rotor setup. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423661

Is this another option using stock rotors? These calipers look really nice as well
yup using stock rotors or even f8x 380mm rotors. Its great seeing another option on the market and I like that they are using monoblock calipers.

I still think your best bet is finding a used set of ST or Brembos. Nice low mileage kits pop up from time to time. Nicely engineered STs or brembos that ditch the OEM rotors. I'll be going that route.
      09-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #542
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Can't compare prices for calipers with adapters to BBKs with calipers, adapters, lines, rotors and pads. I agree that BBK will be more likely to maximize rotor to pad area, though. But if swept area is the same, how much does it matter apart from possibly extra weight -- which can easily be measured and compared as long as you specify which stock fit rotors you would use.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #543
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You cherry picked your comparisons again

You can get better rotors than ecs

Your rotors are way more expensive than ecs and the performance difference
would be minimal if you where to compare the same size rotors

Thats almost 2 kg heavier per corner on front alone than this kit

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=175
i didn't cherry pick anything. ecs rotors are $700 usd, and stop tech rotors are $800 usd, and pfc rotors are just over $1,100 usd per pair. i don't know what "race brakes" is, but its so broad i'm not going to google it.
i paid just over $700 for new rotor rings and hardware. i can re-use the rotor hats. i compared costs to the cheapest oem replacement rotor for the sake of keeping costs down.

the performance difference is astronomical. you made an assumption my rotors are huge or something. my rotors are 5mm smaller than the 360mm oem size they outperform.

take a look at those weight comparisons i posted earlier. they are comparative weights of oem components versus the components on the kit i'm running. there were pictures of the components on scales before photobucket took a dump.
i understand your kit is 2 kilos less weight than oem, i'm not debating that.
      09-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #544
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
i didn't cherry pick anything. ecs rotors are $700 usd, and stop tech rotors are $800 usd, and pfc rotors are just over $1,100 usd per pair. i don't know what "race brakes" is, but its so broad i'm not going to google it.
i paid just over $700 for new rotor rings and hardware. i can re-use the rotor hats. i compared costs to the cheapest oem replacement rotor for the sake of keeping costs down.

the performance difference is astronomical. you made an assumption my rotors are huge or something. my rotors are 5mm smaller than the 360mm oem size they outperform.

take a look at those weight comparisons i posted earlier. they are comparative weights of oem components versus the components on the kit i'm running. there were pictures of the components on scales before photobucket took a dump.
i understand your kit is 2 kilos less weight than oem, i'm not debating that.
You can buy a brand new ST 380 F complete brake kit for ~$2500 and a new ST 355 R complete brake kit for ~$2100. New ST Trophy kits are ~$500 more than ST standard brake kits. Tough decision...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #545
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

You can compare all you like but this kit has a spot in the market.

I rather have this kit and spend the extra dollars on better suspension, wheels and tyres

No matter how big or expensive brakes are if they lock up and don't fade there is no need to change them or upgrade them

You want brakes to be as light which these are and that they don't fade as these don't, so what else you need from brakes.

If you want to spend twice as much on lumps of metal that perform just as good as yours go for it.

Its getting pretty tiring listening to guys like you, you think that spending your money on overpriced kits will give you some kind of advantage.

99% of people dont have the driving skill to take alberts kits to their full potential.

So most will buy this kit because it gets the job done and spend their hard earned on something else

Last edited by martymil; 09-25-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #546
slonik
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e82v8 (s65 swapped)

Quote:
You can compare all you like but this kit has a spot in the market.

I rather have this kit and spend the extra dollars on better suspension, wheels and tyres

No matter how big or expensive brakes are if they lock up and don't fade there is no need to change them or upgrade them

You want brakes to be as light which these are and that they don't fade as these don't, so what else you need from brakes.

If you want to spend twice as much on lumps of metal that perform just as good as yours go for it.

Its getting pretty tiring listening to guys like you, you think that spending your money on overpriced kits will give you some kind of advantage.

99% of people dont have the driving skill to take alberts kits to their full potential.

So most will buy this kit because it gets the job done and spend their hard earned on something else
you can lock your wheels even with small brakes, but it doesnt mean anything.
with good brake kit you will get hard deceleration without locking your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #547
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Really, have you ever tried jumping on the stock brakes at 200mph and see how
quickly the stock brakes can stop you because they wont and they wont lock

What i mean lock is at anyone point you whish to lock you can and without fade

Do you need someone to explain how brakes work

I would put a wager on it these with the same pads on a brake dyno would outperform your setup anyday of the week

You take your overpriced hunks of metal and be pleased with yourself that you just flushed good money down the toilet
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #548
deseroner
First Lieutenant
Nicaragua
Rep
Drives: Jerez black e92 m3 coupe 2009

Can you guys stop complaining , only way to find out is to try it out . Anything better than oem calipers at a decent price is better .
09 Jerez black coupe . 275/35/19 mss rear,Alex alpine gts dct software with some coding(euro mdm,DVD in ,mirrors fold on lock ) , rogue engineering pulleys ,TTFS TUNE . Eibach springs . New brake front rotors with new hawk pads no rear pads. Rd front sway bar.ACTIVE AUTOWERKE TEST PIPES .csf dct cooler ,BE BEARINGS/BE ARP BOLTS,vibra road e/mounts
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #549
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Why did BMW take the 6 piston front brakes off the 135i and install E90M3 sliders when making the 135i into the 1M? What was wrong with the BMW 6 piston fronts?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #550
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Why did BMW take the 6 piston front brakes off the 135i and install E90M3 sliders when making the 135i into the 1M? What was wrong with the BMW 6 piston fronts?
They were designed for a smaller rotor...actually that rotor is smaller than the stock 335i brake as well. I only know bc I was researching before doing a brake upgrade on e91, we ended up with 335i brakes as it was the largest rotor that was bolt on upgrade.
Appreciate 0