BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
New M3 scoops will be V3. For those of you who are local, give me a call if you want. Ill be offering the scoops at $129 w/ free before/after dyno (I want to confirm the results on a few different cars). Those of you who have purchased V2 from either Supreme Power, Group 5, Eurodyne, Trinity or any of our authorized dealers can receive the V3 scoops for $40.
Great news, when will these be available? I can't wait to go from V2 to V3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #90
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Quote:
New M3 scoops will be V3. For those of you who are local, give me a call if you want. Ill be offering the scoops at $129 w/ free before/after dyno (I want to confirm the results on a few different cars). Those of you who have purchased V2 from either Supreme Power, Group 5, Eurodyne, Trinity or any of our authorized dealers can receive the V3 scoops for $40.
Great offer for the local guys. Looking forward to the results.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #91
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16r1ch View Post
Wow, great support! Good to see a vendor stand behind their product with many 'real world' supporters!

-Rich
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #92
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Great news, when will these be available? I can't wait to go from V2 to V3
At this time, I am making them per order. Actual production version probably wont be available until about 5-7 weeks. As for V2, its no slouch. That thing makes power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
Great offer for the local guys. Looking forward to the results.

I will keep all of you updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #93
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At this time, I am making them per order. Actual production version probably wont be available until about 5-7 weeks. As for V2, its no slouch. That thing makes power.

I will keep all of you updated.
Any way I could get the scoops by November 1st? That is when I am heading to the strip and if I could have them before then that would be icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #94
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I would love to do a comparison run with the AFE and your RPI scoops. I have the AFE scoops on now so I could easily make the drive over and pull some runs with the 2 systems. It would be worth it for me to buy your scoops just to run them side by side on the dyno.

PM me...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #95
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Thumbs up

RPI: can you explain (in simple terms) how your v3 is/could make more power then my current v2? I just want to better understand... I mean..will it be significant power (aka worth replacing my v2 for another 100 bucks or whatever the cost will be?)

Just a suggestion, maybe offer a cheaper price for those with a RPi v2 scoops (especially who bought it in the last 2-3 weeks). If it makes a significant more amount of power or even if its just 2-5 hp more, I think it would be a nice offer from your company! I think many here will agree with me, thanks for listening & GREAT work on this product!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
RPI: can you explain (in simple terms) how your v3 is/could make more power then my current v2? I just want to better understand... I mean..will it be significant power (aka worth replacing my v2 for another 100 bucks or whatever the cost will be?)

Just a suggestion, maybe offer a cheaper price for those with a RPi v2 scoops (especially who bought it in the last 2-3 weeks). If it makes a significant more amount of power or even if its just 2-5 hp more, I think it would be a nice offer from your company! I think many here will agree with me, thanks for listening & GREAT work on this product!!
He already said he would work something out with the V2 people, he is taking care of his customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #97
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Quote:
He already said he would work something out with the V2 people, he is taking care of his customers.
Thanks!

Sticky is correct. We will be offering a special discount to vurrent V2 customers (only if you have purchased from us, or an authorized RPi dealer). Exceptions to some of you have knock offs and some of you took our scoops to companies like AFE for them to copy (you know who you are).

Here is an update on our V3. Two weeks ago, we dynod a 14whp gain. This week we saw a 8-9whp gain. I will dyno the car again this week to see where the numbers are. One thing I can tell you is that the cooling system on these cars are horrible. I cant do more than 2-3 runs before the oil temps skyrocket. We are looking into an oil cooler upgrade at this time as well. Ill keep you all updated with the progress of our V3.

On the other note, V2 is a bitchin set up. We have consistently seen 8-13whp with V2. V3 is an attempt to bring another 1-2whp at 70mph winds while bring the cost of the scoops down. Yeah, the knockoffs out there might have different mounting, etc. but that wasnt a concern of ours. Our main focus was to make power and not worry about using a factory bolt, etc. for mounting.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #98
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I'm driving around the the "beta" v3 scoops.. OH MAN. This thing flys on the freeway.

We will redyno again on saturday, stay tuned.
      10-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #99
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
I'm driving around the the "beta" v3 scoops.. OH MAN. This thing flys on the freeway.

We will redyno again on saturday, stay tuned.
Stop rubbing it in... I want these damn V3's!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #100
Reincarnated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: new

Quote:
Thanks!

Sticky is correct. We will be offering a special discount to vurrent V2 customers (only if you have purchased from us, or an authorized RPi dealer). Exceptions to some of you have knock offs and some of you took our scoops to companies like AFE for them to copy (you know who you are).

Here is an update on our V3. Two weeks ago, we dynod a 14whp gain. This week we saw a 8-9whp gain. I will dyno the car again this week to see where the numbers are. One thing I can tell you is that the cooling system on these cars are horrible. I cant do more than 2-3 runs before the oil temps skyrocket. We are looking into an oil cooler upgrade at this time as well. Ill keep you all updated with the progress of our V3.

On the other note, V2 is a bitchin set up. We have consistently seen 8-13whp with V2. V3 is an attempt to bring another 1-2whp at 70mph winds while bring the cost of the scoops down. Yeah, the knockoffs out there might have different mounting, etc. but that wasnt a concern of ours. Our main focus was to make power and not worry about using a factory bolt, etc. for mounting.
These require drilling of new holes?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #101
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

1-2 HP ?

Hmm..Im defintely curious and interested to see what you guys come out with, but to spend even $50 for 1-2 hp, which noone can possibly feel the difference of...I dunno...kind of seems like a waste of both our (customers) money and your time.

Don't get me wrong, I fully back you guys @ RPi, I love your v2 scoops, I feel the difference on the highway big time...but Im just being honest with you here!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #102
kevinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

So how much is the total cost for the scoops? $129each x2 = $258? or is it $129 for both the scoops?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #103
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
1-2 HP ?

Hmm..Im defintely curious and interested to see what you guys come out with, but to spend even $50 for 1-2 hp, which noone can possibly feel the difference of...I dunno...kind of seems like a waste of both our (customers) money and your time.
For the good of those that have no clue, I agree with you...most honest dyno operators will say a 1-2rwhp variation between runs is normal. There would need to be several pulls done to show the repeatability of such a miniscule difference. To go one step further, you really think you feel the difference of 8-13hp(so now it changes...is it 8hp or 14hp as seen on the dyno...that's almost a 50% beta)? On a car with, let's say 350rwhp and 3600lbs?... positive thinking does often go a long way but butt-dynos are, as we've seen countless times, horrendously wrong.

V3???...really, this is getting out of hand....people are considering spending more money for a "supposed" 1-2 hp gain???

Hey RPI,
Do us all a favor and do something about the hole in the hood...you know, the leak that's making our "ram-airbox" a true non-ram-airbox. I keep seeing leaves poking out the top of my hood vent when at speed and they fall when I stop: that means air is RUSHING OUT the vent...there is no way there is sufficient buildup of induction pressure to provide 8rwhp, let alone 15.
I'll still stand on the premise that the scoops are a waste (our airboxes are just inefficient at building ram-air pressures compared to the M5/6 components) until something is done with the leak in the box. Then I could be convinced, with a non-vendor test...some real data...even a pressure sensor showing a difference, that there are gains to be found.

And I haven't heard from anyone about my offer to do a real road-test with a GPS-logger...shame, it sure would be great to really experience all this "feels so much stronger on the highway" and then be able to see if it's all a steamy pile of BS or if there are real gains to be found in the logging. Dynos aren't going to show anything with a fan and a big hole in our airbox dumping all this extra air out the hood vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
An easy way to "test" this improvement is with timed roll-ons...with a GPS logger. I use a PerformanceBox for the track and it can easily time a car for a 60-100, or whatever range, pull.
----I don't sell these---- http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedr...ormancebox.php

This would also skip over the doubts some have over a dyno-fan making enough pressure or any claimed performance from a manufacturer/vendor of such products.
Then we would be able to see just what kind of difference is realized on a "real road-based" test.

So who's in the LongIsland area that wants to do some runs with my datalogger so we can put up some numbers? 5 runs without the scoops, 5 runs with the scoops...same day (as close as possible to eliminate atmospheric effects) and then we compare the numbers and post them up...I can post the graphs and spreadsheets, too. To keep the shifting variable out of the equation, we can do a 3rd gear pull from 3Krpm to 8300rpm, or do other gears/rpm-ranges.
I even have a video/mount that can record the whole process.

That would eliminate any "labratory-tested" doubts. If they show any real gain then I'll even buy a set.

So who's game?

And the now the car overheats after 3 dyno pulls?
Quote:
One thing I can tell you is that the cooling system on these cars are horrible. I cant do more than 2-3 runs before the oil temps skyrocket. We are looking into an oil cooler upgrade
You might want to find a "dyno-fan" upgrade...
Funny how all the track guys don't seem to complain that the car overheats it's oil...I guess that fan on the dyno isn't doing enough on the stock oil-cooler or the scoops are blocking way too much of the radiator. Overheating after 3 pulls but ourfriends can run 20 minutes straight at Laguna in 90degree heat....that's just

Please, address the airbox's needs as unique to the M3...as it's components are unique...and I'm sure you'll find something that really does improve induction.

Sorry for the attack-like tone, I don't truly mean it that way...it's just the hype of this...v3 1-2 hp better???... set me off.

And again, who wants to come by LI and test their car with a datalogger?

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #104
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
For the good of those that have no clue, I agree with you...most honest dyno operators will say a 1-2rwhp variation between runs is normal. There would need to be several pulls done to show the repeatability of such a miniscule difference. To go one step further, you really think you feel the difference of 8-13hp(so now it changes...is it 8hp or 14hp as seen on the dyno...that's almost a 50% beta)? On a car with, let's say 350rwhp and 3600lbs?... positive thinking does often go a long way but butt-dynos are, as we've seen countless times, horrendously wrong.

V3???...really, this is getting out of hand....people are considering spending more money for a "supposed" 1-2 hp gain???

Hey RPI,
Do us all a favor and do something about the hole in the hood...you know, the leak that's making our "ram-airbox" a true non-ram-airbox. I keep seeing leaves poking out the top of my hood vent when at speed and they fall when I stop: that means air is RUSHING OUT the vent...there is no way there is sufficient buildup of induction pressure to provide 8rwhp, let alone 15.
I'll still stand on the premise that the scoops are a waste (our airboxes are just inefficient at building ram-air pressures compared to the M5/6 components) until something is done with the leak in the box. Then I could be convinced, with a non-vendor test...some real data...even a pressure sensor showing a difference, that there are gains to be found.

And I haven't heard from anyone about my offer to do a real road-test with a GPS-logger...shame, it sure would be great to really experience all this "feels so much stronger on the highway" and then be able to see if it's all a steamy pile of BS or if there are real gains to be found in the logging. Dynos aren't going to show anything with a fan and a big hole in our airbox dumping all this extra air out the hood vent.

And the now the car overheats after 3 dyno pulls?

You might want to find a "dyno-fan" upgrade...
Funny how all the track guys don't seem to complain that the car overheats it's oil...I guess that fan on the dyno isn't doing enough on the stock oil-cooler or the scoops are blocking way too much of the radiator. Overheating after 3 pulls but ourfriends can run 20 minutes straight at Laguna in 90degree heat....that's just

Please, address the airbox's needs as unique to the M3...as it's components are unique...and I'm sure you'll find something that really does improve induction.

Sorry for the attack-like tone, I don't truly mean it that way...it's just the hype of this...v3 1-2 hp better???... set me off.

And again, who wants to come by LI and test their car with a datalogger?
Ugh, where to begin with this whole mess.

First, I'll start with Eloy knows what the hell he is talking about.

Second, do you have a dyno where you work? Do you work with these scoops all day? Do you design these scoops? Do you test them back to back on the dyno? You really don't think additional oil cooling is necessary? Explain to me, why is the RPI M5/M6 oil cooler is a popular upgrade for consistency for the S85?

Have you ever been to RPI? Have you seen the fan they use on the dyno? Do you know what steps Eloy takes in dynoing the cars and doing repeat pulls? I would bet most facilities DON'T have 70 mph fans, RPI does. Did you bother looking into this before making your, basically ignorant, claim of RPI needing to upgrade their fan?

Naturally aspirated motors do suffer from heat soak you know. If you haven't been able to get your oil temps to rise you obviously have not driven the car hard enough on the track. Maybe the weather is way cooler in New York, but our here in California an upgraded oil cooler is way up there on my list of upgrades for the car.

If you bothered to do ANY research on your own instead of just running your mouth, you would see all the data you requested is available on M5board regarding the scoops.

If you are skeptical and whatnot, don't buy them. You are months behind on this topic, if not years. Come back when you have done some research on the topic. If this product did not work, why in the hell do the M5/M6 and 335 guys show gains with a FAN on a dyno pull, after pull. Why the hell does everyone feel a difference at highway speeds? Why in the hell has everyone started ripping off RPI's design?

Don't spread your nonsense around, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #105
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
So how much is the total cost for the scoops? $129each x2 = $258? or is it $129 for both the scoops?
Both.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #106
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
it will be 129 for both scoops..
      10-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #107
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Ugh, where to begin with this whole mess.

First, I'll start with Eloy knows what the hell he is talking about.

Second, do you have a dyno where you work? Do you work with these scoops all day? Do you design these scoops? Do you test them back to back on the dyno? You really don't think additional oil cooling is necessary? Explain to me, why is the RPI M5/M6 oil cooler is a popular upgrade for consistency for the S85?

Have you ever been to RPI? Have you seen the fan they use on the dyno? Do you know what steps Eloy takes in dynoing the cars and doing repeat pulls? I would bet most facilities DON'T have 70 mph fans, RPI does. Did you bother looking into this before making your, basically ignorant, claim of RPI needing to upgrade their fan?

Naturally aspirated motors do suffer from heat soak you know. If you haven't been able to get your oil temps to rise you obviously have not driven the car hard enough on the track. Maybe the weather is way cooler in New York, but our here in California an upgraded oil cooler is way up there on my list of upgrades for the car.

If you bothered to do ANY research on your own instead of just running your mouth, you would see all the data you requested is available on M5board regarding the scoops.

If you are skeptical and whatnot, don't buy them. You are months behind on this topic, if not years. Come back when you have done some research on the topic. If this product did not work, why in the hell do the M5/M6 and 335 guys show gains with a FAN on a dyno pull, after pull. Why the hell does everyone feel a difference at highway speeds? Why in the hell has everyone started ripping off RPI's design?

Don't spread your nonsense around, thanks.
and to add on to his post... eloy's method is dynoing means no cheating..
car stays on as long as its on the dyno, never turned off between any runs, no opening the hood for cooling down or any of that crap. its real world dynoing.
      10-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #108
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
and to add on to his post... eloy's method is dynoing means no cheating..
car stays on as long as its on the dyno, never turned off between any runs, no opening the hood for cooling down or any of that crap. its real world dynoing.
The fan isn't moved somewhere else after a run as well, a trick some people use.

The guy is pretty meticulous.

If someone doesn't believe the stuff, instead of trashing him, why not just go down to RPI and see for yourself? Or stay in New York and spread junk.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #109
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
The fan isn't moved somewhere else after a run as well, a trick some people use.

The guy is pretty meticulous.

If someone doesn't believe the stuff, instead of trashing him, why not just go down to RPI and see for yourself? Or stay in New York and spread junk.
Personally, I'm not bashing the guy, I'd just like to see some independant dynos is all. I think questioning vendor results is a healthy thing for everyone - including the vendors.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #110
Malarky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

When will this be released?

EDIT: Nevermind.

-Carl