BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Adziu16
Rep
Drives: N/A

New guy to this forum

Hey everyone, just signed up to this forum a couple days ago. So to start off I currently do not own a BMW. But I have registered to get some more insight about the E92 M3 specifically. Currently I own a Lexus IS250 for over a year now to help me get some credit built up. So now I am debating between a Lexus ISF or a manual E92 M3. Why do I say manual ? Well that's because from where I come from we were raised around manual cars. Not hating on DCT but the manual just gives a whole lot more feel of the car. I doubt there are any current or former ISF owners on here but if there are and are reading this, how would you compare both cars? As far as it comes to the M3, what are the issues these cars are known to have besides the rod bearing issue and throttle actuators? Also when looking at one what are the things to look out for ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90m

Welcome to the forum!

I also considered an ISF before choosing my e90m. For me it came down to the 6mt. If I wanted a dct or auto the decision would have been more difficult. The reliability of the isf is appealing to me.

Good luck on your decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adziu16 View Post
Hey everyone, just signed up to this forum a couple days ago. So to start off I currently do not own a BMW. But I have registered to get some more insight about the E92 M3 specifically. Currently I own a Lexus IS250 for over a year now to help me get some credit built up. So now I am debating between a Lexus ISF or a manual E92 M3. Why do I say manual ? Well that's because from where I come from we were raised around manual cars. Not hating on DCT but the manual just gives a whole lot more feel of the car. I doubt there are any current or former ISF owners on here but if there are and are reading this, how would you compare both cars? As far as it comes to the M3, what are the issues these cars are known to have besides the rod bearing issue and throttle actuators? Also when looking at one what are the things to look out for ?

Thanks!
I'm not sure of too many issues other than what was mentioned. I just bought a e92 a few months ago and I am obsessed with the car. I wanted a naturally aspirated M car and this one is intoxicating! The more I drive it, the more I love the car. It makes such sweet exhaust notes at all rpm ranges. It literally just wants to go fast! I'm waiting for my first ever speeding ticket!!!!! I have a 6 speed manual. The 08 has a different fly wheel, so if I replace it ever, I will go OS Giken. I would also change the oil more frequently as well. Fresh oil costs a ton less than a new motor! Good luck, buy the M!!! The upgrades for the Lexus are far too limited in my opinion, just my $0.02
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
xxxian08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT JEREZ SCHWARZ

I like to row my own gears. If I didn't care so much I would have ended up with a C63 AMG. That thing was a monster. In the end it came down to the 6MT and the 8300 rpm NA V8 that sounds like an F1 motor. I smile with every (manual) shift.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

I had an IS250 awd before I got my m3. I have also considered the ISF before getting the m3, but coming from an IS to an ISF you will probably, like me, find the interior of the ISF too boring. Mainly because it is pretty much the same between the two. I have driven an ISF on many occasions and I can tell you that it is no match to a m3.

If you're looking for reliability then ISF hands down. If you're looking for fun and performance the m3 is my choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Adziu16
Rep

Thanks for the responses so far. Doing some more research I heard from someone who had an e92 m3 (who loved it) didn't spend much time driving it as it was at the shop more often getting fixed. What really concerns me a lot is the dependability of a car than anything. You buy a car to drive and enjoy, not constantly get it repaired. Kinda looks like the Lexus has more leverage here on BMW when it comes to being reliable. I can understand some things could go wrong like suspension brakes or tires but motor wise that shouldn't be something that should be worked on that often. What I will say is this, the M3 does look good inside and out, sounds amazing, but is it really worth the headaches?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. Doing some more research I heard from someone who had an e92 m3 (who loved it) didn't spend much time driving it as it was at the shop more often getting fixed. What really concerns me a lot is the dependability of a car than anything. You buy a car to drive and enjoy, not constantly get it repaired. Kinda looks like the Lexus has more leverage here on BMW when it comes to being reliable. I can understand some things could go wrong like suspension brakes or tires but motor wise that shouldn't be something that should be worked on that often. What I will say is this, the M3 does look good inside and out, sounds amazing, but is it really worth the headaches?
Only you can answer this one.

I really thought long and hard about the 11+ IS-F before buying my e90m. They are similar, but the m3 is clearly sportier and the noise it makes is so sweet!

I still need to change my rod bearings (50k miles) to give me peace of mind. The AC evaporator is another joke along with the throttle actuators. If reliability is a primary concern, go with the IS-F. There is no doubt in my mind it is the superior car in that respect.

GL with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Adziu16
Rep

Well so far a good amount of owners on here are telling me the good and bad which is pretty nice. Got a good amount of information from this forum to pick a choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

I liked them almost equally back when they first came out.

However, nowadays the ISF, to a car guy is respectable, but looks dated. It looks like it needs an update and you have an old Lexus.

The M3 is more timeless in its design IMO.

If none of that matters to you, the only true pro for the ISF is the reliability but my 2012 M3 with almost 85k miles has been more reliable than my Camry with 71k miles so, I can't say one way or another lol.
Appreciate 1
ualdrivr158.50
      10-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
Adziu16
Rep

That’s true about the timeless in it’s design part. The one thing I can say is that M3’s are like hot sluts, people don’t want them but secretly like them. So many people say that the M3’s always had a nice silhouette. Til this day they still stand out. Whether its an F80, E9X, E46 or E36. The ISF did start looking older ever since the 3rd gen came out and the RCF and GSF took it’s place. One thing I will say is that Lexus needs to step it up in their performance department. But what probably is preventing them from doing that is being scared of losing the reliability part of it. I’ve watched some of your YouTube videos about M3 maintenance and such. Stuff like that I will watch and get as much info as needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s true about the timeless in it’s design part. The one thing I can say is that M3’s are like hot sluts, people don’t want them but secretly like them. So many people say that the M3’s always had a nice silhouette. Til this day they still stand out. Whether its an F80, E9X, E46 or E36. The ISF did start looking older ever since the 3rd gen came out and the RCF and GSF took it’s place. One thing I will say is that Lexus needs to step it up in their performance department. But what probably is preventing them from doing that is being scared of losing the reliability part of it. I’ve watched some of your YouTube videos about M3 maintenance and such. Stuff like that I will watch and get as much info as needed.
Nice man. Glad I could help.

I'm actually working on an updated review now that I'm approaching 85k miles on it.

You honestly can't go wrong either way; but I would love to see you join the M family! lol
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50
      10-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Curious where were you raised around manual cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #13
Adziu16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo_93 View Post
Nice man. Glad I could help.

I'm actually working on an updated review now that I'm approaching 85k miles on it.

You honestly can't go wrong either way; but I would love to see you join the M family! lol
Nice will look at it when I can. Haha you’re not the only one who says that. A lot of other people I know actually want me to join the ///M side of life
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #14
Adziu16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
Curious where were you raised around manual cars?
Poland. Learned how to drive first at 13 years old in a parking lot of some high school there in a manual Opel Tigra hardtop convertible. my dad rented from his friend when we went on vacation to visit my grandparents there over a summer. In my country manuals are common but automatics are starting to show up as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
Adziu16
Rep

In the ClubLexus forum thread I made, there was a former E92 M3 owner who switched up to the ISF and his response got me blown away. Had bought the M3 with 60K miles that was CPO and spent almost $10,000 in repairs within 3 years/45K miles on maintenance alone. Another guy had done the ISF ownership list of maintenance costs 7 years/85K miles and his was about $6,200. That seems more reasonable since its a longer period of time. God knows how long if the owner would’ve spent keeping it past 105K miles. So I think the final decision has came and hate to break it but I’m not gonna take the chances and it’s going to have to be the ISF. As much as I like the M3, I don’t want to deal with the nightmares and surprises it could throw at me. Also spoke to a friend who is in a warranty claims department and told me that he’s dealt with a lot of the E9X M3’s for repairs and most of them had the valve stems and seals replaced. The price for that job and everything that comes along with it to do is just insane. My jaw dropped. Only thing he said that would be best to do is get a warranty but downside of it is you can’t mod the car otherwise the claim will be denied. Thank you everyone who had commented and gave their inputs on this topic as hopefully it will give someone in the future a better idea of what they are looking to get into.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In the ClubLexus forum thread I made, there was a former E92 M3 owner who switched up to the ISF and his response got me blown away. Had bought the M3 with 60K miles that was CPO and spent almost $10,000 in repairs within 3 years/45K miles on maintenance alone. Another guy had done the ISF ownership list of maintenance costs 7 years/85K miles and his was about $6,200. That seems more reasonable since its a longer period of time. God knows how long if the owner would’ve spent keeping it past 105K miles. So I think the final decision has came and hate to break it but I’m not gonna take the chances and it’s going to have to be the ISF. As much as I like the M3, I don’t want to deal with the nightmares and surprises it could throw at me. Also spoke to a friend who is in a warranty claims department and told me that he’s dealt with a lot of the E9X M3’s for repairs and most of them had the valve stems and seals replaced. The price for that job and everything that comes along with it to do is just insane. My jaw dropped. Only thing he said that would be best to do is get a warranty but downside of it is you can’t mod the car otherwise the claim will be denied. Thank you everyone who had commented and gave their inputs on this topic as hopefully it will give someone in the future a better idea of what they are looking to get into.
I think you will be very happy with the ISF. Its a great car and should be worry free for many years. it might not be quite as engaging to drive as the m3, but that's a small price to pay for reliability.

report back after you have put some miles on your isf
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #18
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Why did he spend anything on repairs if it was CPO?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
M_Three
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Well I can answer this because I was almost an ISF owner before I got my M3. All I can tell you is to drive them. I drove 10 M3s and 4 ISF cars before I decided on the M3 I have now by a wide margin.

For me the DTC is a perfect blend between sport with it's manual mode and Auto for it's daily driving appeal.. It was the feel of the M3 that easily won me over.

Regarding reliability. A properly maintained M3 is reliably enough. Drive it with respect and don't trash it like so many do.. You will not have much of an issue.

The problem with finding a good M3 is they are usually trashed because they feel so good guys beat them well past what a street car is designed for. Sure you can track it but understand driving like that all the time will only cause problems down the road.

I daily drive my E93 here in Florida. I put 12,000 miles on her in 3 months. She was barely driven when I got her having only 42,000 on a 2008. So I got her out of the garage she was parked in and out to see the world.. Or at least Florida.. I know she is much happier now. I did need an alternator but that can happen on any car regardless of brand. Besides that she purrrrrs.

Again.. I must restate this.. DRIVE THEM BOTH

Last edited by M_Three; 10-25-2017 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I've driven both and while I wasn't in the market for the ISF, I have to say that I wasn't entirely impressed. Both of the cars in question are relatively big, but the ISF actually feels big. I've only had my sights on the E90, so I can't say for the E92, but it feels a lot more nimble than it should.

Any reason you're debating between a coupe and a sedan? I've felt that the coupe has me sitting up a little too high (maybe because they were power seats?) compared to the sedan.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      04-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
Adziu16
Rep

Well guys it’s been quite some time since I had made this thread and asked for everyone’s opinions. So since then I had bought a white 08 ISF with 138K miles on it. The day I went to go look at it I also had an e92 6mt in that silverish/gray color with black interior and carbon fiber trim on the dash. Definitely looked nice online in the listing but the dealer selling it sounded a bit sketchy over the phone. So instead I went to the Lexus dealer that had the ISF. Turned out the car was already full bolt on + tune on it. Blew my mind and ended up getting it. At the moment it’s at 154K miles and runs fine. But recently there were a couple of posts in the ISF group of 2 people blowing their transmissions. One had went out at 60 or 70k miles or so due to trans cooler failure in the main radiator. One guy’s transmission went 144K miles but I’m way past that. Kinda surprised by those incidents. It is a fun car to drive but definitely not for winter being with all the goodies on it that it has. What I forgot to mention is that i’m in the trucking industry and it’s bad at the point where having 2 cars at the same time is not good. So the M3 might be my next choice since it has an LSD that spins both wheels when needed to unlike the electronic LSD in the 08-09 ISF was an absolute joke and still is today. Out of curiosity how are the E9X M3’s in the snow ? I mean yeah any car could be good as long as the winter tires are present but just as a whole in the driving portion.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Well guys it's been quite some time since I had made this thread and asked for everyone's opinions. So since then I had bought a white 08 ISF with 138K miles on it. The day I went to go look at it I also had an e92 6mt in that silverish/gray color with black interior and carbon fiber trim on the dash. Definitely looked nice online in the listing but the dealer selling it sounded a bit sketchy over the phone. So instead I went to the Lexus dealer that had the ISF. Turned out the car was already full bolt on + tune on it. Blew my mind and ended up getting it. At the moment it's at 154K miles and runs fine. But recently there were a couple of posts in the ISF group of 2 people blowing their transmissions. One had went out at 60 or 70k miles or so due to trans cooler failure in the main radiator. One guy's transmission went 144K miles but I'm way past that. Kinda surprised by those incidents. It is a fun car to drive but definitely not for winter being with all the goodies on it that it has. What I forgot to mention is that i'm in the trucking industry and it's bad at the point where having 2 cars at the same time is not good. So the M3 might be my next choice since it has an LSD that spins both wheels when needed to unlike the electronic LSD in the 08-09 ISF was an absolute joke and still is today. Out of curiosity how are the E9X M3's in the snow ? I mean yeah any car could be good as long as the winter tires are present but just as a whole in the driving portion.
My climate is fairly moderate (DC area) but I sometimes drive mine in light snow with winter performance tires (sotozzero) and its fine. Obviously with more than 5 inches it becomes a snow plow. I use my wife's suv for anything ugly.
Appreciate 0