BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

08-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

How to install rear endlink

I've checked everywhere and can't find anything on this issue. I'm trying to swap my rear endlinks for adjustable ones but I ran into the problem that the lower bolt on the endlink can't come all the way out because it starts to hit the axel near the hub. I can't find anyway to remove this bolt without remove the axel from the hub but I feel like there must be a way to do this as that is a very terrible design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Chuck's M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: with driving gloves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
I've checked everywhere and can't find anything on this issue. I'm trying to swap my rear endlinks for adjustable ones but I ran into the problem that the lower bolt on the endlink can't come all the way out because it starts to hit the axel near the hub. I can't find anyway to remove this bolt without remove the axel from the hub but I feel like there must be a way to do this as that is a very terrible design flaw.
Don't know how others did it.. But i had to grind the bolt out...
See later pics in this post: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...24&postcount=1
Had i known earlier, probably would've left it alone... However my luck was i managed to get a ratcheting wrench stuck so had to commit to the removal by any means necessary.

Word of advice, make sure you have replacement hardware ready to go! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW would have you remove the axle shaft to remove the end link. Most would unscrew the bolt as far as possible and cut it, then replace the bolt with a shorter one.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

I did this today, and this seemed like the best thread to update. I installed adjustable endlinks. I tried two different methods. I intended to drill out the threads in both instances, and install a bolt reverse of stock. Also, in both instances I detached the rear toe arm from the knuckle. The stock bolt is not long enough to use with the Hotchkis adjustable endlinks.

Passenger side: I backed the bolt out as far as possible, cut the bolt head off and removed the endlink. Using a double nut method to back the bolt out the rest of the way. This was working until the the bolt sheared off. After that I cut the rest of the bolt off, punched and drilled the bolt out.

Driver side: I heated up the bolt and sprayed some penetrating oil, and cut the endlink off. Then I measured the amount I would need to cut off the bolt and I used that to measure where to cut the bushing. I cut off one third of the rubber bushing with metal sleeve. I ran the bolt down and cut off the threads that were exposed, then I was able to remove the bolt.
Appreciate 0