BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #67
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I would. Just to get it noted on the service documents for "future reference" in case needed. No harm in mentioning it and having them look at it....
+1
The more you mention it, even if it's not happening as much, the more they'll want to shut you up and just fix it for you. If it is true about what one poster said that BMW changed a few things in the 09's for driveability, I wonder if the 09' tranny would mount up to the 08's?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #68
M&AGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I am interested in this topic. I recently had a Rogue SSK installed and am now getting grind from first to second at high (8k+ rpm), even when I shift with normal speed (and not hyper fast). Prior to the SSK I was aggressive with my shifts and occasionally screwed up the clutch timing, but the post SSK seems different. I am not familiar enough with how/if the SSK install could have impacted things. Otherwise, I absolutely LOVE the SSK.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #69
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

WTF today I was driving normal and shifting slowly and my 2nd gear grinded AGAIN.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #70
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
The problem with proving this issue seems to be that it's so intermittent, that proving it at a dealership is a feat nearing impossibility. However, all of us on this thread seem to be having this issue, when other M3's clearly don't have a problem with this.

Is there anything we can do collectively as a group? Power of many being greater than the power of one?
I get the same grind, and it pisses me off because I'm fully capable of driving the car. I don't think there is anything we can do because it's so hard to prove/reproduce for the dealer. If it was something easily seen and isolated by BMW, then there's a small chance something could happen.

And I don't know why BMW would replace the clutch pedal spring; that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #71
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree guys..we need to do something about this. But what should we do?
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #72
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

I think calling BMWNA is a good idea. I'm gonna call today. I wonder if it's just a problem with the 08's as it doesn't seem like there is anyone on this thread with a complaint on an 09'. I'm guessing that if enough people call, they might do a recall and changed something in our tranny's
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #73
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. I think we have a good number of people just talking here who have an issue with this, and a fair number of people who are just reading and not responding.

BMW always says "prove it prove it" but it's just not that simple with this problem, is it?

Okay, for starters, lets call BMWNA. I don't know what good this will do, but, rather than just be lazy, and go "others will call" (because they won't because they're lazy) and rather than just going "oh I'll call later," just...call. It's not that hard, I promise, I've done it twice already. If they get a bunch of calls coming in, maybe something might happen.

I called BMWNA at 1(800) 831-1117, Extension 7312 for a guy called Dan. If we get so many complaints about the same issue that they actually notice (or call the same guy so often that he will at least remember, and tell his boss that something's up), it just might put up a red flag somewhere. I don't really have any other ideas as to how to go about this: if someone else has any bright ideas, I'm all ears.
I will call him today
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #74
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I'm in Atlanta and have a 2008 E93 M3 6MT. I sent PM to John but no reply.

I'd be more than happy for him to see if I have the same problem.

Next week I need to go in for my break in service.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #75
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
How often was your car doing it? Mine is real sporatic. Wonder if I should mention it at my next service.
My car would do it 8 out of 10 times that you shifted fast into 2nd gear. Im not talking about 'hyper fast' as someone put it but fast enough to keep forward momentum between gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'm thinking about mentioning this as well. I'm just scared someone may mess up on the install . You worried about this John? The feeling that even though this problem may be cured, the car may never feel the same again?
Im not worried about someone messing up the install... If a bmw factory dealership does it- just request to most experienced tech there and be clear that you do not want a fresh technician right out of STEP or other school to dig in on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
+1
The more you mention it, even if it's not happening as much, the more they'll want to shut you up and just fix it for you. If it is true about what one poster said that BMW changed a few things in the 09's for driveability, I wonder if the 09' tranny would mount up to the 08's?
The 08' and 09' Transmission share the same part numbers but that does not mean that all 08 transmissions share the same internals as the 09 does. Im sure they are the same but no one can really know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
I get the same grind, and it pisses me off because I'm fully capable of driving the car. I don't think there is anything we can do because it's so hard to prove/reproduce for the dealer. If it was something easily seen and isolated by BMW, then there's a small chance something could happen.
And I don't know why BMW would replace the clutch pedal spring; that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
The clutch spring keeps me thinking- EVERYBODY- If you have a 6speed trans, could you please look and verify what clutch pedal spring you have? I want to know if all '09 cars came with this newer updated version!!!!!

The purpose of the clutch pedal spring that they replace is NOT to pull the pedal back to the 'disengaged' position! It is to help push and keep the pedal at the floor between shifts!

I keep thinking- maybe the clutch spring could be the culprit of the 'missed shift' and they replaced the trans, clutch, flywheel because they figured they were damaged and need to start fresh again. Who knows.......... I will be driving a lot from Atlanta to Mississippi and back this weekend so it will give me time to put some miles on the car and get a good start on the break in proceedure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
I'm in Atlanta and have a 2008 E93 M3 6MT. I sent PM to John but no reply.

I'd be more than happy for him to see if I have the same problem.

Next week I need to go in for my break in service.
Im sorry for not Pm'ing you back. I completely overlooked it- an honest mistake i promise. I can drive your car for you and see how yours does compared to mine-

On another note, i will not be working for BMW anymore- Ive got a new gig that I am very excited about!

Quote:
john, if u can tell us EXACTLY how you were written up and the answers, or scan a copy of the service record for this problem, that might help.
Here is an amazing iPhone picture of my invoice-
Attached Images

05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #76
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

I get the same grind and I know someone else in Bucharest who has this issue as well. I had my clutch replaced at 7000km and it improved the shifting, it was notchy before, much better after, but I still get the grind sometimes.

My dealership was great about it. They said no question about it, not shifting right (they couldn't replicate the grind), we'll replace the clutch and go from there. I now only get it 1/20 or 30 launches. I would get it more than 50% of the time before.

And I've heard people at the M Driving School doing it on 1-2. People who could obviously drive properly. I just learned to live with it, either shift slower, or not get angry when it does it.
      05-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #77
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Hey John,

You said that your tranny was damaged, is that from multiple grinds? I mean, my car's done it 3 times in 6700km, do you think I've damaged my tranny?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #78
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Guys, I had this problem when shifting into 3rd gear above 7000rpm, I told bmw about it and I had a new transmission in one day. Tell your dealer about it, grinding the gears is NOT NORMAL. BTW, the installation went fine, and the new trans feels great. Only problem is, nobody at the dealer can tell me if I'm supposed to get new trans fluid after 1200 miles or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #79
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

First, I haven't had the problem, but I haven't shifted 1-2 above about 7K--only 1,700 miles on the car and haven't redlined it yet.

It is clear to me from the feel of the 6MT, that the 1-2 shift--particularly at higher RPMs--must be more deliberate than other shifts. I use my fingertips, and I never push if the tranny resists. I put enough pressure on the shifter so that it goes when it's ready, and it's never resulted in a delayed shift--one where I lose momentum and/or have to worry about the rev match.

(It has occurred to me that the 1-2 shift is probably the main source of delay in 0-60 times relative to the DCT.)

Having read this thread, my guess is that the 2nd gear synchro simply doesn't work as fast/well as most here would like it to.

As someone mentioned, the 1-2 shift at high revs is the most difficult sychronization that the tranny has to perform. My bet is that the "notchiness" associated with the 1-2 shift is there to protect against shifting before the syncho can work, and that those who have experienced the grind simply forced through the resistance. I also suspect that multiple grinds have probably damaged some of your transmissions, making the problem worse and requiring service.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm going to knock on wood now, or mine probably won't even go into gear next time I start her up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #80
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Louie, why don't you go do it for yourself so that you can add more to the conversation than guesses? Your car is broken in enough to redline it. I kind of wonder about someone not redlining the engine at 1201 miles, right after the fluids change.

Mine does not have this problem at all.

Dave
      05-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #81
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
Guys, I had this problem when shifting into 3rd gear above 7000rpm, I told bmw about it and I had a new transmission in one day. Tell your dealer about it, grinding the gears is NOT NORMAL. BTW, the installation went fine, and the new trans feels great. Only problem is, nobody at the dealer can tell me if I'm supposed to get new trans fluid after 1200 miles or not.
If it's a brand new tranny then it would have the same break in period and fluid requirements as the original transmission. Seems like the dealer could make that inference through some simple deductive reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #82
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Left Dan a voicemail earlier! Could you PM me your name so i can tell him we have the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #83
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Louie, why don't you go do it for yourself so that you can add more to the conversation than guesses? Your car is broken in enough to redline it. I kind of wonder about someone not redlining the engine at 1201 miles, right after the fluids change.

Mine does not have this problem at all.

Dave
Dave,
No one here has added anything other than a guess--we have yet to get a definitive diagnosis. One doesn't need to have experienced the problem to have an educated guess as to its origin. My guess may be wrong, but I think it represents a possible explanation that had not been previously enunciated as such.

By the way, what did you add to this thread? You haven't experienced the problem, and you made no attempt to give any insight. You simply felt the need to take a shot at me--why, I have no idea. Then, you followed up with an attempt to question the way I break in my car. Read your break in instructions, and maybe you'll figure out why I didn't redline at 1,201.

Last edited by louie_perm; 05-09-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #84
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Sure this isn't because we are shifting too fast/hard?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #85
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

I have gotten the 1st to 2nd grind a few times, but less lately. I think that the gearbox oil is "settling" or something. Every time I got it was my mistake because I slammed it too fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #86
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Sure this isn't because we are shifting too fast/hard?

That's what my guess was above--though I put it slightly differently.

More explanation:
When the dog collar disengages from first gear and begins to engage with second gear, the synchro mechanism makes first contact in order to synchronize second gear with the dog collar before the teeth engage. It takes time for this to happen, and the greater the difference in speed between the gears, the more time it takes for the synchro to work. Until things are sync'd, the balk ring keeps the teeth from engaging. But, the balk ring can be overcome with enough force, at which point the teeth will grind.

My guess is that some are shifting too hard and/or too fast, overcoming the action of the balk or blocking mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #87
mrblonde_zx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 JB/RF

Notchy

I have an '09, and the shift from 1-2 is not smooth in any RPM range. Once in a blue moon the shift is smooth, but I don't recall the engine speed or a pattern when that occurs. Most of the time it is notchy, but I don't get a grind. After my 1,200 mile service there was less resistence when shifting and was not as notchy.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #88
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_perm View Post
Dave,
No one here has added anything other than a guess--we have yet to get a definitive diagnosis. One doesn't need to have experienced the problem to have an educated guess as to its origin. My guess may be wrong, but I think it represents a possible explanation that had not been previously enunciated as such.

By the way, what did you add to this thread? You haven't experienced the problem, and you made no attempt to give any insight. You simply felt the need to take a shot at me--why, I have no idea. Then, you followed up with an attempt to question the way I break in my car. Read your break in instructions, and maybe you'll figure out why I didn't redline at 1,201.
I reported that mine doesn't do it. That's a positive contribution to the thread and that's feedback based on actual experience. You take up our time theorizing and don't even know your head from a hole in the ground. AT LEAST go out and redline shift yours and tell us whether yours does it or not. Those that have it need know that not all 6MTs have the issue.

What's "educated" about your "guess". Are you a mechanic of some sort?

Dave