BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

09-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #45
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

While ZCP is a "hot option", in actual function I've found the non-zcp (regular shocks) M3 to be superb. I was actually specifically hunting for a non-zcp back in 2012 since the 19" autocross (stock class) tire selection didn't exist then; then the SCCA changed the rules to allow +/- 1" in diameter specifically for this reason, and the ZCP became desirable for it's additional 1/2" wheel widths and everyone uses 18" aftermarket wheels now on ZCP cars.

Anyway, if you're going to put decent shocks on the car anyway and/or modify the suspension, ZCP isn't worth fretting over imo.

My most important concern was finding a slicktop since I can't fit in an E90 with a sunroof and helmet on (in addition to actually never using a sunroof anyway plus the bonus of not having 30+ lbs of excess weight sitting at the highest point on the car).

I've never understood why BMW chose heavy cast wheels for the ZCP package either since the 220M are forged, strong and light, comparatively. I have a set of ARC8 10" wheels that resemble the ZCP but are wider and lighter -- use them for time trial type events.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #46
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I ran across this yesterday while searching. Its a DCT tho but it does look to be a slicktop. Space Grey / Fox red. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2957/overview/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #47
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Effing dealers...I love how they just make up the interior and exterior colors!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #48
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
While ZCP is a "hot option", in actual function I've found the non-zcp (regular shocks) M3 to be superb. I was actually specifically hunting for a non-zcp back in 2012 since the 19" autocross (stock class) tire selection didn't exist then; then the SCCA changed the rules to allow +/- 1" in diameter specifically for this reason, and the ZCP became desirable for it's additional 1/2" wheel widths and everyone uses 18" aftermarket wheels now on ZCP cars.

Anyway, if you're going to put decent shocks on the car anyway and/or modify the suspension, ZCP isn't worth fretting over imo.

My most important concern was finding a slicktop since I can't fit in an E90 with a sunroof and helmet on (in addition to actually never using a sunroof anyway plus the bonus of not having 30+ lbs of excess weight sitting at the highest point on the car).

I've never understood why BMW chose heavy cast wheels for the ZCP package either since the 220M are forged, strong and light, comparatively. I have a set of ARC8 10" wheels that resemble the ZCP but are wider and lighter -- use them for time trial type events.
For a track car I will take your expert opinion that ZCP alone is not the best set up. For a street car, it looks better 10mm lower, I know, I have seen it next to a non lowered car. ZCP wheels are constantly voted best looking wheels right here on Bimmerpost. And I know they look better as I have ZCP wheels and the 220's on another car. All my friends say they look better also. Sellers who have ZCP want a premium for it. Buyers are willing to pay the premium. It's no different than 6MT and DCT. CF roof vs sunroof. Fox Red Vs Gray. Premium stereo vs HiFi. Personally I'm not buying an E90 or E92 without it. But I understand why others would not buy it with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #49
cognoscenti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 6MT ZCP MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Effing dealers...I love how they just make up the interior and exterior colors!
At least that dealer listing got the transmission mostly right. For over a year I was driven nuts by dealers putting "Manual" in their listings for DCT cars. It got to where I would just pull the VIN off of any listing I saw and run it through a decoder to see for myself!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #50
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I check the VIN every time...they got the trans right only because it is a manual...car is a ZCP and they list 18" wheels and cloth seats and on and on probably copied and pasted a very base M3 ad.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #51
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRules! View Post
Hmm...mine is also the same there (@ zhpmafia site). Will check yours. I loved that car man; it always made me smile once I turn the engine on; and the smile turned to a wide grin when I sometimes (ok many times ), change the gear close to the red line.

Glad to hear your affirmation of the zcp. I was tempted earlier to go with a non-zcp, but wisdom from Mark and a few others removed those doubts. Since I am not in a hurry, decided to be focused and look only for those that fit my three requirements - sedan, zcp, low mileage.

Let's see how it goes.

When is your car scheduled to reach? What mods are you planing? Please feel free to post here until you open your own thread man. mi casa es su casa
I remember your username!! The name is Derek. Nice to meet ya

Here is the last pics of the ZHP car right after a pre-sale detail.

Major mods:
Stoptech ST40s, Ground Control Coilovers w/Swift Springs, M3 Rear LSD/Subframe/Brakes

There was a whole bunch of OE Mods as well so it was a very fun car! I will miss it dearly.

My E90 right now is sitting at the dealer awaiting a trailer. I have a company looking for a driver nearby to drive out my way for the quoted price I was told.

2011 E90 6MT Slicktop Alpine White/Black 51k miles. Tech/Premium, Heated Seats, Fold Down Seats. It's only missing the ZCP package, which like I said earlier, might be a moot point if I'm planning coilovers.

At this point, I want to keep EDC for now so I might pick a set of swift spec R springs and spacers. I'll keep my eye out for M359 wheels but I might just end up with Apex ARC8s/EC7s since they are local to me.

Till then, I'm getting antsy!!
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #52
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I agree, those wheels ugh. Great buy, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #53
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Major mods:
Stoptech ST40s, Ground Control Coilovers w/Swift Springs, M3 Rear LSD/Subframe/Brakes
Sounds like a really nice setup! Did you find the GC rear Konis to have overly stiff compression damping (i.e. overall small pavement imperfections, lots of jiggle, shake your internals, etc)? My daughter installed GC coilovers on her ZHP about 5-6 years ago, and I ended up helping her sort the rear suspension. We ended up going with TCKline Konis in the rear as their damping curve was so much nicer than GC's. GC (Jay) put the returned shocks on his shock dyno and claimed they were performing as designed which didn't make any sense to me.

The ZHP was/is such a sweet combination, it's really too bad they didn't ever put the S54 into the sedan. I love driving her car whenever we visit her (it's a 2003 slicktop, 6MT with GC/TCKline coilovers, Turner front and rear sway bars, SSR 8.5 square with 255/35-18 all around).

Quote:
2011 E90 6MT Slicktop Alpine White/Black 51k miles. Tech/Premium, Heated Seats, Fold Down Seats. It's only missing the ZCP package, which like I said earlier, might be a moot point if I'm planning coilovers.

At this point, I want to keep EDC for now so I might pick a set of swift spec R springs and spacers. I'll keep my eye out for M359 wheels but I might just end up with Apex ARC8s/EC7s since they are local to me.

Wow, super find. You're joining the tiny group of 2011 6MT slicktops (about 180 total imported). Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #54
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Major mods:

There was a whole bunch of OE Mods as well so it was a very fun car! I will miss it dearly.

My E90 right now is sitting at the dealer awaiting a trailer. I have a company looking for a driver nearby to drive out my way for the quoted price I was told.

Sweet car man. Im jelly.

Ive decided to cave and just buy an e92 instead of holding out for a unicorn e90. Luckily I have a mint 4th gen 4runner to pair with my e92.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #55
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Quote:
I hunted for almost a year for a 2011 E90 6MT slicktop back in 2012. At the time I didn't want the ZCP since I intended on autocrossing in F-stock class and this was before the SCCA opened up the rules to allow wheel diameter changes (i.e. non-existent selection then for the best tires in 19" sizes).

Anyway, I ended up finding an as-new condition one but in Silverstone (last color choice) with 14k miles, still under warranty for 2.5 years plus CPO after that, so I bought it. It wasn't until afterward that I ran the production numbers to find out that only ~180 slicktop 6MT 2011 E90s were imported, so I was hunting in a very small pool of potential cars. If you add ZCP to this mix, you're probably looking at less than 100 cars. It may take a while...good luck.

Regards,
Chuck

P.S. That factory warranty and then the BMW CPO warranty I had on my car...never needed. 100% perfect through the entire time.
Yep, sounds about right. Looked for 1 year for mine and drove 9 hrs to get it. Bliss ever since.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #56
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a really nice setup! Did you find the GC rear Konis to have overly stiff compression damping (i.e. overall small pavement imperfections, lots of jiggle, shake your internals, etc)? My daughter installed GC coilovers on her ZHP about 5-6 years ago, and I ended up helping her sort the rear suspension. We ended up going with TCKline Konis in the rear as their damping curve was so much nicer than GC's. GC (Jay) put the returned shocks on his shock dyno and claimed they were performing as designed which didn't make any sense to me.

The ZHP was/is such a sweet combination, it's really too bad they didn't ever put the S54 into the sedan. I love driving her car whenever we visit her (it's a 2003 slicktop, 6MT with GC/TCKline coilovers, Turner front and rear sway bars, SSR 8.5 square with 255/35-18 all around).

Wow, super find. You're joining the tiny group of 2011 6MT slicktops (about 180 total imported). Congrats!
The GC Coilovers felt jarring with the included 380/415 eibach springs. After switching over to the swift coilover replacements to 448/560 springrates, it was much more pliable for the San Francisco streets. IMO the dampening was still too soft for the track. If I didn't make the decision to sell the car, I would've went with MCS 2-way dampeners with 600/700 spring rates.

I really miss that car as it was Black Sapphire Metallic with Cloth interior with black cube trim. I was running 245/40/17 StarSpecs all around on Apec ARC8s. Either way, Im excited for the new car.

180 exported here? Wow. Did not know it was that rare! I knew a 6MT E90 LCI M3 is already in a small pool of 1055.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #57
BimmerAffair
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Major mods:

Sweet looking E90, Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #58
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Where are people finding production numbers? I know my car was a tough one for me to find (took me a few years.....), but I'm curious how many other ones are out there. I'm thinking similar to M Coupe Buyers Guide http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/production
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #59
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Where are people finding production numbers? I know my car was a tough one for me to find (took me a few years.....), but I'm curious how many other ones are out there. I'm thinking similar to M Coupe Buyers Guide http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/production
It's a sticky thread in the main forum section. Here's the PDF link.

For E90 LCI (2009-2011 model years in North America), 26.5% of them are slicktops. Total 2011 E90 M3 imported was 2170. Hence 2170 * .265 ~ 575 cars are slicktops (assuming the 2011 slicktop ratio is similar to 2009-2011 slicktop ratio which is a reasonable assumption since overall 2009-2011 volume was 3587 (so 2011 alone was 60.5% of LCI production).

The DCT/6MT breakdown for LCI was 29.4% 6MT, or 2170 * .294 ~ 638 cars with 6MT. If we make the assumption that the overall slicktop ratio is roughly the same for just 6MT cars, then 638 * .265 ~ 169 6MT with slicktop (so guess it's a tad less than 180, but these are rough estimates anyway; it might be possible that there are a few more slicktop 6MTs as 1st owner ordered cars, who knows unless we get full production data from BMW).

Obviously when you start combining additional options, the accuracy disappears in these estimates (i.e. how many E90 6MT slicktops with ZCP are there).

Here's a post I did with some links in it on the subject.

Regards,
Chuck
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #60
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a sticky thread in the main forum section. Here's the PDF link.

For E90 LCI (2009-2011 model years in North America), 26.5% of them are slicktops. Total 2011 E90 M3 imported was 2170. Hence 2170 * .265 ~ 575 cars are slicktops (assuming the 2011 slicktop ratio is similar to 2009-2011 slicktop ratio which is a reasonable assumption since overall 2009-2011 volume was 3587 (so 2011 alone was 60.5% of LCI production).

The DCT/6MT breakdown for LCI was 29.4% 6MT, or 2170 * .294 ~ 638 cars with 6MT. If we make the assumption that the overall slicktop ratio is roughly the same for just 6MT cars, then 638 * .265 ~ 169 6MT with slicktop (so guess it's a tad less than 180, but these are rough estimates anyway; it might be possible that there are a few more slicktop 6MTs as 1st owner ordered cars, who knows unless we get full production data from BMW).

Obviously when you start combining additional options, the accuracy disappears in these estimates (i.e. how many E90 6MT slicktops with ZCP are there).

Here's a post I did with some links in it on the subject.

Regards,
Chuck
I was wondering if that was how we were arriving with the figures. I saw the sticky, but wasn't able to come out and say that there are 180 for example; I only did ratios such as you had performed to get a ballpark idea.

Wasn't sure if I was able to find a twin: Of the 2011 slicktop 6MT E90 M3s, how many of them were Jet Black? How many had Speed Cloth seats? Just examples, but I'm curious how far down the rabbit hole you can go. It took me a while to get this car, but I'm wondering if it took me so long because it's only 1 of a few cars that were actually made this way.

I did a similar breakdown on an old Camaro SS I owned and came to find out that it was a 1 of 1 car. Good thing I wrapped that one around a telephone pole...

Also, just curious, what is the significance of the mid year for 2011? Mine has an August build date, so mine is also a 2011.5, but I wasn't sure if that actually was something. My DD is a 2013.5 VW GLI, but that is "significant" because midway through the year they put an entirely different drivetrain in the car.

-T.O.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #61
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Also, just curious, what is the significance of the mid year for 2011? Mine has an August build date, so mine is also a 2011.5, but I wasn't sure if that actually was something.
Here's the detail in this post on 2011.5 (Sept 2010 and later) and what some call 2011.75 (Mar 2011 and later).
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #62
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Interesting. Surprised mine isn't considered a 2012 with an 8/23/2011 build date.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #63
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting. Surprised mine isn't considered a 2012 with an 8/23/2011 build date.

Thanks!
Probably because they didn't make a 2012.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #64
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

The one I just bought is 05/2010 production date so its a 2011 not a 2011.5. A little bummed about that but the retrofit to COMBOX isn't too bad if I really feel like spending money on that.

For the M Drive, it just allows you to get M drive without Nav right? A pre 2011.5 still has M drive if it has navigation based on what I researched. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #65
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Probably because they didn't make a 2012.
The worst jokes are the ones we have to explain.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #66
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
The worst jokes are the ones we have to explain.
Appreciate 1