BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

What Can Be Done To Increase Engine Noise In Cabin (Without Voiding Warranty)?

I posted a similar thread in the past but I'm starting this new one, as it's slightly different. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding how to increase the engine noise in the cabin WITHOUT voiding warranty or doing anything too dramatic? I have a 2013 E93 M3 and I'm finding that I very much miss the engine noise that my old E46 M3 Convertible had in terms of the sound level (I'm guessing it has been reduced by 50%+ on the E93 due to much more noise insulation).

After reading some threads it seems as though replacing the air filter isn't an option, as that voids the warranty (because they provide them for free as part of the free maintenance). My goal is to hear more of the engine under light load and below 4k RPMs, as I find that the sound deadening is just too well-done by BMW for my liking (I would much prefer to hear more of the engine!). Under heavy loads/acceleration/above 4k RPMs the sound level is ok.

Is there some way to do the equivalent of removing the resonator on an exhaust to help increase engine noise? I know that doesn't make any sense with regards to the engine but it's more the idea of a simple delete that would reduce any noise reduction under the hood or between the hood and the cabin? I hate to say it but I would have been happier if BMW used its lame solution for the M5 - simulating engine noise via speakers, something I'm convinced they will do for the next M3 due to the turbo setup.

I will be doing the non-perforated exhaust mod to help a little I'm guessing that won't do as much as I would like, as it seems to increase cabin noise by about 10-20%. I'm trying to hit the 50%+ mark but I don't want to replace the air filter or do anything that will likely void the warranty...

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and Happy Thanksgiving!
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Retrofit BMWs new "vroom vroom" software engine sound thru the speakers.

OEM exhaust mod or air filter wont void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

You're sacred an air filter is going to void warranty yet you want to remove the resonator? Lol
Op, get an air filter, if you're really scared swap it to stock when you go in, it take a few minutes. As for exhaust, they font mind axle back. However if you're really worried, get the bmw performance exhaust, its expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for everyone's quick replies - I appreciate it. Here are some clarifications:

1) I DO NOT want to remove the resonator. I was using it as an example of a simple delete that makes a HUGE sound difference. I'm searching for the equivalent to get some more engine noise. I'm not that much of a tech so I have no idea if that's just not possible but I was trying to give an example...
2) I spoke with my SA and he did NOT recommend changing the air filter, especially given the most are oil-based and most I have research on the boards that people use are oil-based. I really don't want to screw with the warranty on an $82k car!
3) I will be doing the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perf) because I'm feeling quite comfortable that it won't create a situation that will lead to voiding the warranty. But I don't think that will produce enough cabin noise for me, as clearly these cars are ridiculously insulated (especially now that my convertible is a hardtop).

Thanks for everyone's input/suggestions,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Khrishna
Banned
Rep

You can use a dry filter, BMW isnt going to void your warranty for an air filter and/or a section 3 exhaust mod...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Get an aftermarket exhaust. You seem to be overly paranoid about your warranty. I would not worry 1 second about my warranty if I changed the axle-back exhaust. That's not going to remove the warranty on your entire car. Only impacts the exhaust warranty...
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry for the confusion but I am NOT worried about an axle-back modification, which is why I will be doing the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perf). But I don't think that's going to provide enough sound in the cabin so I'm trying to figure out other options...

Technically even a dry air filter DOES void your warranty if it ends up causing a problem because BMW provides this part for free (this has been discussed in many threads and has been proven within the warranty language). I still haven't fully decided whether I am going to do a dry filter, as I understand that it is low risk, but I'm trying to see if there are any other alternatives.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrishna View Post
You can use a dry filter

Is a dry filter going to increase noise in the cabin under light load and under 4k RPMs or will there only be a noticeable different when you're under heavy load?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Khrishna
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Is a dry filter going to increase noise in the cabin under light load and under 4k RPMs or will there only be a noticeable different when you're under heavy load?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Under load, more sound

Normal crusing not so much..the OEM mod (perforated) will give the cabin sound that you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I posted a similar thread in the past but I'm starting this new one, as it's slightly different. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding how to increase the engine noise in the cabin WITHOUT voiding warranty or doing anything too dramatic? I have a 2013 E93 M3 and I'm finding that I very much miss the engine noise that my old E46 M3 Convertible had in terms of the sound level (I'm guessing it has been reduced by 50%+ on the E93 due to much more noise insulation).

After reading some threads it seems as though replacing the air filter isn't an option, as that voids the warranty (because they provide them for free as part of the free maintenance). My goal is to hear more of the engine under light load and below 4k RPMs, as I find that the sound deadening is just too well-done by BMW for my liking (I would much prefer to hear more of the engine!). Under heavy loads/acceleration/above 4k RPMs the sound level is ok.

Is there some way to do the equivalent of removing the resonator on an exhaust to help increase engine noise? I know that doesn't make any sense with regards to the engine but it's more the idea of a simple delete that would reduce any noise reduction under the hood or between the hood and the cabin? I hate to say it but I would have been happier if BMW used its lame solution for the M5 - simulating engine noise via speakers, something I'm convinced they will do for the next M3 due to the turbo setup.

I will be doing the non-perforated exhaust mod to help a little I'm guessing that won't do as much as I would like, as it seems to increase cabin noise by about 10-20%. I'm trying to hit the 50%+ mark but I don't want to replace the air filter or do anything that will likely void the warranty...

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and Happy Thanksgiving!
Jeremy
Here's a cabin recording of the Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake:

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Tom but I am guessing that the intake voids the warranty if it ever causes a problem.

Does anyone else have any other ideas/suggestions? I'm looking to increase engine noise under light load and below 4k RPMs. I will be doing the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) and it will increase cabin noise around 10-20%, which isn't enough for what I'm trying to achieve. While I am going to consider a dry air filter, it was posted that it won't increase noise under light loads, so that's probably not going to add much (or any) noise under light load.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks Tom but I am guessing that the intake voids the warranty if it ever causes a problem.

Does anyone else have any other ideas/suggestions? I'm looking to increase engine noise under light load and below 4k RPMs. I will be doing the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) and it will increase cabin noise around 10-20%, which isn't enough for what I'm trying to achieve. While I am going to consider a dry air filter, it was posted that it won't increase noise under light loads, so that's probably not going to add much (or any) noise under light load.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeremy
Modifying your exhaust is no different, as anything you do outside the dealership can be interpreted as a threat to your warranty. I haven't seen a dealer raise an eyebrow at the MS intake yet. To think that an enthusiast will not mod his/her M3 is unrealistic, so there has to be some leeway.

Dealers are not evil people and looking to void warranties at any possible opportunity. Remember, they still need to keep customers happy in order to sell cars - especially with the new M3 just around the corner.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
m3an
Banned
Rep

open the windows ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an
open the windows ?
Or just open the roof! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Using an oiled air filter on the E9x M3 doesn't make a difference as it uses a MAP sensor. There is no MAF sensor to foul. I would never use a oiled filter on an MAF equipped car.
Appreciate 1
bhup0925.00
      11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Using an oiled air filter on the E9x M3 doesn't make a difference as it uses a MAP sensor. There is no MAF sensor to foul. I would never use a oiled filter on an MAF equipped car.
Oiled is fine on HFM-equipped models (e46M3), as long as its not overoiled, which many people tend to do.

E9X M3, no issues at all.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Oiled is fine on HFM-equipped models (e46M3), as long as its not overoiled, which many people tend to do.

E9X M3, no issues at all.

x10000

its the user's error. I've been using K&N for years w/ no issues on map/maf cars
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Instead of doing the oem mod just get a louder axel back like an eisenmann race, meisterschaft gt2, etc. Won't void your warranty and you will have all the cabin noise you desire.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Instead of doing the oem mod just get a louder axel back like an eisenmann race, meisterschaft gt2, etc. Won't void your warranty and you will have all the cabin noise you desire.

Good point but I'm trying to keep a relatively low profile and I have never modified an exhaust before, so the OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) is already a step up for me. I love the sound of the Eisenmann Race based on the many videos I have watched but I like to keep a low profile so it would be far too loud on the outside for me.

I'm not sure that the balance of not too loud on the outside with loud enough on the inside is realistic/doable, given that the convertible is now a hardtop (vs the E46) and given the amount of insulation they use, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps something can be done...

Once I do the OEM Exhaust Mod I will probably get enough noise on the outside, which is why I am focused on increasing engine noise (vs exhaust noise) as another step that I'm trying to figure out, especially given that the OEM Exhaust Mod really only increases cabin noise by 10-20% - not that much.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks again for everyone's help...

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

By "non-perforated" method you are referring to replacing the 2 large perforated pipes with straight pipes right? I have that done as well. If you want more cabin volume I recommend removing the secondary cats. That will def make the sound more aggressive inside and out but will add some rasp if you are ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
By "non-perforated" method you are referring to replacing the 2 large perforated pipes with straight pipes right? I have that done as well. If you want more cabin volume I recommend removing the secondary cats. That will def make the sound more aggressive inside and out but will add some rasp if you are ok with that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Does that void the warranty if it causes any problems? Also, how much louder does it make it on the outside? For example, I drove in a car that has the OEM Exhaust Mod (ACM/Bypass) and that was definitely too loud on the outside for me. What's the volume level when you remove the secondary cats?

The rasp is absolutely no problem for me. I actually didn't mind the rasp on the E46...

Thanks Again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Haven't heard the ACM mod in person to compare but removing the secondary cats def adds some volume.

Sounds like your best bet is to just do the oem mod and go from there. As others suggested above, an intake will add additional cabin noise without making the outside too much louder.
Appreciate 0