BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

10-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Recommended shops for modded cars in the seattle area?

Hey all,

I don't know how many people have heard, but IS Motorsports has closed down, due them relocating to Las Vegas. I think their last day in business is actually today.

I've used them in the past for big jobs, things like rod bearings, supercharger install, etc.

I had a job scheduled with them for the 10th to get my valvecovers replaced and a few other things done, but they found out that their lease was ending early, and informed me that they could no longer take the job. Totally sucks, but I get it. Already had all the parts here ready to go.

Are there any other places in the area that are competent with the S65, especially if mods like a supercharger are in play?

South Lake European was recommended, and I've started some conversations with them, but curious what other options are out there.

I'm aware of Strictly BMW, but they are pretty expensive, don't seem to like dealing with modded cars, also don't allow you to supply your own parts.

Any other suggestions? I'm willing to travel for the right place.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Group 2 motorsports has been fantastic for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
Jch99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Vegas? They had such a great following here.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:48 AM   #4
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Well… shit. That tracks though. I know Ian was traveling back and forth to Vegas quite a bit.
I didn't do any modding for years after moving to Seattle since I couldn't find a shop I trusted for decent price. I was planning to have Ian do a new build for me next year too. Back to square one.

Group 2 is super close to me, but so insanely overpriced. Not a huge fan of their work or service either. Really hope there's an alternative out there in Seattle proper.
      10-31-2021, 02:07 AM   #5
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm new to the BMW scene up here. I've been taking my Subaru up to Drive Autosports in Everett and I know the tuner there is a E90 M3 owner. I'm getting the M3 aligned up at their shop Monday. I'll pick his brain on who he trusts with his car. I'm not entirely sure they are taking on BMW work aside from small jobs. They mainly work on Subarus as they are a division of AWD Auto in Kirkland. But I see all sorts of cars at the shop whenever I'm up there including European cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:45 AM   #6
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

WoW! That's really unfortunate. I was just there a few weeks ago. Ian is such a great dude, did my rod bearings and lots of other work on all of my BMWs, will miss him for sure.
I've used several other shops, but the same pattern emerges, they do good work, then get super busy with weeks-long booking times, then get expensive. The only other place that's let me bring perf parts is Achtuning, but its been a few years since I've been there. Its an Audi/VW shop, but they have a BMW team also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
e9x_chucky
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dammm no way! I was just looking at rod bearings earlier today and wanted to ask Ian for a quote for the labor.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #8
SnohoRaptor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [9.00]
2020 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2019 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Series 4 is around the corner in my neighborhood, there is Broadstroke on HWY 9 and Woodinville Sports Cars.

I've had minor work done by Series 4 (zilch from the other two), still need decide on a shop for RBs when I pull the trigger on them.

MW 2020 G05 X5 with delicious coffee interior
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
IrishNoodles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnohoRaptor View Post
Series 4 is around the corner in my neighborhood, there is Broadstroke on HWY 9 and Woodinville Sports Cars.

I've had minor work done by Series 4 (zilch from the other two), still need decide on a shop for RBs when I pull the trigger on them.
I'm pretty sure Broadstroke only install OEM parts
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnohoRaptor View Post

Woodinville Sports Cars is really close to me - when I called them about installing a brand new M Performance exhaust I'd purchased, the guy who answered blew me off so fast, they didn't want anything to do with aftermarket parts, even though the MPE is OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Well… shit. That tracks though. I know Ian was traveling back and forth to Vegas quite a bit.
I didn't do any modding for years after moving to Seattle since I couldn't find a shop I trusted for decent price. I was planning to have Ian do a new build for me next year too. Back to square one.

Group 2 is super close to me, but so insanely overpriced. Not a huge fan of their work or service either. Really hope there's an alternative out there in Seattle proper.
My M3 has been at IS for months for an engine build, happy to see Ian move to a better market for his shop but now I get to deal with shipping my car back when it's done.

I've heard nothing but good things about Rally Tuned in Cle Elum, they did a bunch of work on my friends E39 M5 so even though they're an hour away, I'll start using them for future work on my M.

http://www.ralleytuned.com/site/
      11-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #12
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I talked to Drive this morning and while they're ok with doing small things like alignments and oil changes, they don't have any factory trained techs that could handle rod bearings. They found the source of my suspension clunking but unfortunately don't have the parts to replace the lower shock bushings on my KW clubsports. They're pretty old and probably due for overhaul anyway. Their tuner Paul wants to get my car on their dyno next spring to compare it to his.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
Quote:

My M3 has been at IS for months for an engine build, happy to see Ian move to a better market for his shop but now I get to deal with shipping my car back when it's done.

I've heard nothing but good things about Rally Tuned in Cle Elum, they did a bunch of work on my friends E39 M5 so even though they're an hour away, I'll start using them for future work on my M.

Damn, what were/are you getting done? He finished my supercharger and rod bearing jobs in less than a week each IIRC. My next plan was to buy an M4 in spring and do a Kratos build. But without a shop I trust, it might be back to stock cars for years again.

I miss my days in socal when I could take any random exit off I-5/805 and accidentally run into a well know shop.

I live in Seattle proper. Driving to IS in Renton was like an hour. I'll need a hotel if I'm going to Cle Elum. Lol.
      11-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #14
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn, what were/are you getting done? He finished my supercharger and rod bearing jobs in less than a week each IIRC. My next plan was to buy an M4 in spring and do a Kratos build. But without a shop I trust, it might be back to stock cars for years again.

I miss my days in socal when I could take any random exit off I-5/805 and accidentally run into a well know shop.

I live in Seattle proper. Driving to IS in Renton was like an hour. I'll need a hotel if I'm going to Cle Elum. Lol.
Some additional bad news: IS was broken late last week and tons of parts and tools were stolen. My supercharger kit (which was sitting in a box next to my car) is gone. Not sure if any other of my parts are missing, need to do a full inventory.

Anyways, months ago I ended up breaking a piston ring land after being supercharged for 23k miles, so my engine is at e-Megatronic in CT getting a fully forged build w/ lower compression. I was having IS do the motor swap.

I'm having my M3 towed back to my house, will deal with the insurance stuff, and will likely tow it to RallyTuned to finish the job.
      11-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #15
drwankel
Major
Rep

I saw that on facebook. Absolutely awful.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Some additional bad news: IS was broken late last week and tons of parts and tools were stolen. My supercharger kit (which was sitting in a box next to my car) is gone. Not sure if any other of my parts are missing, need to do a full inventory.

Anyways, months ago I ended up breaking a piston ring land after being supercharged for 23k miles, so my engine is at e-Megatronic in CT getting a fully forged build w/ lower compression. I was having IS do the motor swap.

I'm having my M3 towed back to my house, will deal with the insurance stuff, and will likely tow it to RallyTuned to finish the job.
Damn that's wild on all accounts. So sorry.
      11-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
+1 on this. I reached out to them for a quote, and the price was so high it was insane. Not quite sure what they are thinking or how they are retaining business if that is what they normally do.

I ended up going with South Lake European after talking to a bunch of different places. Appointment is in a couple weeks.

We'll see how they do. Quoted price was certainly higher than IS, but that kind of highlights what we've lost with IS leaving. Ian was very honest and fair with his pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #18
sansin
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

sucks to hear what happened to Ian and your car, kerrit. ian was a great guy to work with. previously had RBs done with him and then some recent suspension work and was hoping to get some more done. he mentioned checking out 22rpd, meister works, or south lake euro.

anyone have experience with these places?

i went to group2 back when they were just a small shop (chris and ben) and they are great! prova (chris' place now) is also a reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #19
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Quote:
+1 on this. I reached out to them for a quote, and the price was so high it was insane. Not quite sure what they are thinking or how they are retaining business if that is what they normally do.

I ended up going with South Lake European after talking to a bunch of different places. Appointment is in a couple weeks.

We'll see how they do. Quoted price was certainly higher than IS, but that kind of highlights what we've lost with IS leaving. Ian was very honest and fair with his pricing.
I honestly don't know how G2 is even in business. Prices were higher than the dealer.

Reached out to Prova once since they are basically across the street from G2. Seemed like they'd be fine for basics, but don't think I'd go there for mods.

Might have to try Achtuning or even Cantrell at some point, but honestly don't know how I'd feel going their either for full builds like I was planning for next year.
      11-11-2021, 02:34 AM   #20
SnohoRaptor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [9.00]
2020 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2019 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Exciting to hear about a new shop (to me) in Cle Elum of all places. I'll have to check them out this weekend.

MW 2020 G05 X5 with delicious coffee interior
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #21
xnfsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011.75

Any other shops maybe near Fremont?
Appreciate 1
astris615.00
      11-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #22
spammysammich