BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

BPM

03-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Wenatchee traffic attorney

Anyone have a good Wenatchee traffic attorney?

I was approached by an officer after I had parked on a pullout of US-2 near Leavenworth yesterday afternoon, and he told me that an off-duty officer driving with his family had called in because I was "going pretty fast".

I looked behind us and saw a car I had just passed (after following him through two passes where a passing lane opened, one of which he was obviously WOT dumping black smoke from his turbo subaru and going much faster than me and the speed limit, and passing him when he pulled over halfway onto the shoulder to let me pass him and a slow moving car directly in front of him in a one-lane portion with a long open legal passing zone). I didn't really need to pass at that point since my destination was only a few more miles and there was other traffic up ahead, but the driver seemed so insistent and the passing zone was entirely clear, so I dropped into 2nd or 3rd gear (the car in front was slow) and passed both cars quickly and then just cruised a few more miles to my destination. He also eventually passed and was about a quarter mile behind me until I parked at my pullout.

The on-duty officer said he had nothing on me and apologized but issued me a ticket for negligent driving 2nd degree (although my hands stayed on 9 and 3 unless shifting ). I heard some of the conversation they had...Apparently I "dropped the hammer" and be didn't like it. Guess I should've inched by him for ten minutes. I've never heard of a ticket from one officer on behalf of another officer with zero evidence before.

Also, any advice on dealing with this?

Last edited by Bartledoo; 04-02-2018 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post

I was approached by an officer after I had parked on a pullout of US-2 near Leavenworth yesterday afternoon, and he told me that an off-duty officer driving with his family had called in because I was "going pretty fast".

I looked behind us and a car I had just passed (after following him through two passes where a passing lane opened, one of which he was obviously WOT dumping black smoke from his turbo subaru and going much faster than me and the speed limit) when he pulled over halfway onto the shoulder to let me pass him and a slow moving car directly in front of him in a one-lane portion with a long open legal passing zone. I didn't really need to pass at that point since my destination was only a few more miles and there was other traffic up ahead, but the driver seemed so insistent and the passing zone was entirely clear, so I dropped into 2nd or 3rd gear (the car in front was slow) and passed both cars quickly and then just cruised a few more miles to my destination. He also eventually passed and was about a quarter mile behind me until I parked at my pullout.

The on-duty officer said he had nothing on me and apologized but issued me a ticket for negligent driving 2nd degree (although my hands stayed on 9 and 3 unless shifting ). I heard some of the conversation they had...Apparently I "dropped the hammer" and be didn't like it. Guess I should've inched by him for ten minutes. I've never heard of a ticket from one officer on behalf of another officer with zero evidence before.

Only thing to do is fight it. Yes it’s a day out of work and inconvenient but that’s what these pricks do because they know you’ll beat it but the inconvenience of getting the ticket dismissed will be enough vengeance for them. You’ll fight the ticket the on duty officer won’t have any report of the incident because he didn’t see anything at all and the off duty officers report shouldn’t count as anything. If you REALLY want to go a step further you can go to the station and ask to speak to their sergeant about what happened but that may or may not open you up to more problems with these two cops
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      03-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

That is some bullshit right there. I can't stand state patrol. What are they good for?

Mitch Greene is my local King County guy. Maybe they can suggest someone.
https://www.speedinginseattle.com/contact-us/
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      03-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #4
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Not sure about the US, but I assumed it is the same or similar as in Canada. Up here an officer can’t ticket you base on a hearsay from another officer, which is exactly what happened to you.

One example: Ever since using an electronic device while driving became illegal, cops will often pose as pedestrians at intersections to catch offenders. Then they radio ahead to other officers waiting to pull people over and issue ticket. My friend got caught like that and he hired a lawyer. His lawyer straight up told him that ticket is not valid because of hearsay. Went to court, the lawyer asked the officer who wrote the ticket “did you personally witnessed my client used said electronic device?”. Officer said no. Judge threw out the case. I’m sure there are more this lawyer did to get the judge to toss out the violation, but you get the point.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      03-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Not sure about the US, but I assumed it is the same or similar as in Canada. Up here an officer can’t ticket you base on a hearsay from another officer, which is exactly what happened to you.

One example: Ever since using an electronic device while driving became illegal, cops will often pose as pedestrians at intersections to catch offenders. Then they radio ahead to other officers waiting to pull people over and issue ticket. My friend got caught like that and he hired a lawyer. His lawyer straight up told him that ticket is not valid because of hearsay. Went to court, the lawyer asked the officer who wrote the ticket “did you personally witnessed my client used said electronic device?”. Officer said no. Judge threw out the case. I’m sure there are more this lawyer did to get the judge to toss out the violation, but you get the point.
Yea, both officers would have to show up in court. Hopefully it will be easy to have dismissed, but he wins since I'll be out the cost of an attorney...
      03-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Yea, both officers would have to show up in court. Hopefully it will be easy to have dismissed, but he wins since I'll be out the cost of an attorney...
but if a lawyer gets you out of it then you have a driving clean record, at least this one won’t be on it. That itself is worth it in my opinion. Even if this officer call the their officer in as witness, they never got you on radar and that will be a lot easier for your lawyer to argue. Also what are the chances both officers will show up in court? Again not sure how exactly things work in the states.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
in MA the ticketing officer doesnt have to show up in court idk if itll be the same for your state
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

Quote:
I used Joyce Heritage of Heritage Law Office when I received a (well deserved) ticket in eastern Washington and would highly recommend her. My ticket was issued in Adams County (Wenatchee is in Chelan County) however I know Joyce handles most of the east side and parts of King County too. She was great and got my ticket dropped to a non-moving violation (which is all I asked her to do, I didn't care about her fighting to get it dropped altogether because I fully deserved the ticket, I just didn't want it to effect my insurance rates).

https://www.heritage-law.com/Attorne...Heritage.shtml
Appreciate 1
Transfer5254.00
      03-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
in MA the ticketing officer doesnt have to show up in court idk if itll be the same for your state
Yea it's the same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Lindsay. View Post
I used Joyce Heritage of Heritage Law Office when I received a (well deserved) ticket in eastern Washington and would highly recommend her. My ticket was issued in Adams County (Wenatchee is in Chelan County) however I know Joyce handles most of the east side and parts of King County too. She was great and got my ticket dropped to a non-moving violation (which is all I asked her to do, I didn't care about her fighting to get it dropped altogether because I fully deserved the ticket, I just didn't want it to effect my insurance rates).

https://www.heritage-law.com/Attorne...Heritage.shtml
Thanks! I'll contact her!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #10
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Jeannie Mucklestone.

Regularly works miracles for me and various family in the SEA vicinity. I have never had to pay the ticket. There was one reckless driving by my bro-in-law that she got severely reduced, but that he didn't go to jail was a mind-bender.

Seriously. Go see Jeannie.

https://www.mucklestone.com/
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      04-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just used Jeannie for a speeding ticket, shes not cheap but got it off my record.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      04-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

She's a lot cheaper than the insurance bump. :-/
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      04-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep

Which is exactly why I hired her. :-)
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
Visceral363.00
      04-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Logged in to say +1 for Jeannie.
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
Visceral363.00
      06-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Well it turns out the off-duty officer embellished many parts of his report, even claiming that I did something which he actually did right in front of me...and that was the very beginning of the report!

The prosecutor upgraded me to reckless driving based on the report, and now I'll be looking for a Chelan county criminal defense attorney. It isn't looking too good at this point because obviously nobody will believe my word over the officer's.

I want to try and obtain the on-duty officer's car/body cam footage with audio if possible because the off-duty officer was giving him his story right next to the squad car. Perhaps I can find some major contrast between the story he told the officer at the time and the one he made up the next day when he reached his office (he told the on-duty that he would write the report when he got into the office at the beginning of the week).

It's pretty disheartening when they don't even give a fair report when the off-duty officer was blasting down the highway with his family doing what looked like 90+ in a 60mph zone quickly pulling away from me and tail-gating multiple cars (which he also claimed I was doing to him). Ugh.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep

Dang that sounds like some serious BS, I got a speeding ticket coming out of Leavenworth heading west. Just ended up paying it because i didn't want to deal with traveling to Wenatchee. This was a few years ago now though.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Cops only give themselves a bad name. Sorry to hear about this BS. I can't imagine how frustrating it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #18
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post

I looked behind us and saw a car I had just passed (after following him through two passes where a passing lane opened, one of which he was obviously WOT dumping black smoke from his turbo subaru and going much faster than me and the speed limit, and passing him when he pulled over halfway onto the shoulder to let me pass him and a slow moving car directly in front of him in a one-lane portion with a long open legal passing zone). I didn't really need to pass at that point since my destination was only a few more miles and there was other traffic up ahead, but the driver seemed so insistent and the passing zone was entirely clear, so I dropped into 2nd or 3rd gear (the car in front was slow) and passed both cars quickly and then just cruised a few more miles to my destination. He also eventually passed and was about a quarter mile behind me until I parked at my pullout.

Dude, I would suggest calling Legal Shield which is formally Pre-Paid Legal. I think they are like $20 a month and they give you legal representation for us to 2 tickets per year. I personally have used them a lot. This one time on my way to Spokane from Seattle I got stopped for doing 130+ in Moses Lake. I thought I was gonna go to jail, but I got off scott free!

Normally a good lawyer will charge you around the cost of the ticket, but no one can guarantee that they can get you off. I've got a fair amount of experience fighting my own and have a pretty good success rate. Hit me up directly if you want some advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordontufano View Post
I feel bad that this situation happened to you. The only thing you have now is to fight this in court.
Tell me you're a scammer without telling me you're a scammer….

Replying to 5 year old posts, lol….

-Duke
Appreciate 2
jiggz2141.00
Chris_PDX337.00
      08-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #20
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloSmith View Post
You definitely need a lawyer. Something is not clean here.
Pretty sure the guy figured it out considering it was 4.5 years ago now.
Appreciate 2
UPSROD945.50
      08-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #21
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloSmith View Post
You definitely need a lawyer. Something is not clean here.
Pretty sure the guy figured it out considering it was 4.5 years ago now.
It's typically a scam account posting nonsense on old threads to get their post count up so they can use the messenger function and scam people.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:24 PM   #22
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
It's typically a scam account posting nonsense on old threads to get their post count up so they can use the messenger function and scam people.
For sure, tho this person did join the forum 2 years ago, and typically scammers are brand new members.
Appreciate 0