BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
ScoopALoop
Rep
Drives: AW e90 M3 ZCP

Emissions Testing Akra Evo

Hey everyone,

Looking to get through emissions in MD with a full Akrapovic Evolution system (has secondary, but no primary cats). For those with modified exhausts in MD (or anywhere that requires only an OBDII test), is the only option swapping back to the stock system?

In terms of tunes, I am running a BPM stage II tune - would I have to go back to stock tune if I go down the route of swapping the exhaust back to stock?
Has anyone had any luck with other tunes showing readiness and passing emissions (BPM tune showed a not ready reading)?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

You can have the increased emissions warning coded out. That would by my rec so you don’t have to deal with swapping xpipe
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

If your tune has the CEL for increased emisions coded out you will pass emissions just fine with your current setup. I just passed emissions the other day and i'm completely cat-less. If you're not throwing a CEL with the current exhaust then you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

According to Google, MD allows 1 monitor not to be ready, catalyst or evap. This actually goes for Virginia also. I'm curious to find out if this is really true.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
ScoopALoop
Rep

My current tune does prevent CEL for increased emissions, but still registered not ready readings and did not pass emissions.

donadio91, what tune allowed you to pass?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopALoop View Post
My current tune does prevent CEL for increased emissions, but still registered not ready readings and did not pass emissions.

I have an ESS tune. Their customer service is pretty great, if you give them a call i'm sure that they would tell you why their tune is able to pass and others aren't
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

which monitor was showing not ready?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I'd be willing to bet MD is the same as VA.

In VA officially NO emissions equipment can be tampered with. So secondary cats must be there.

Although the inspector just has to visually see a catalytic convertor. He/she is most likely not going to look up in the reference manual for every cat present. Obdii monitors all ready except one for 01 and up.

I know Deq in VA can see data other than what most of us can see with a scsnrool. Whether or not they DECIDE to pursue you with your flashed ECU is up to them.

I can tell you that I am hesitant to mod my car in VA except for my catback.

The random emissions surveying in the area would prompt you for an Obdii test AND dyno as well for our M3s.

IMHO, the little gain in power with a tune and x pipe isn't worth it , at least in my state.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
ScoopALoop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donadio91 View Post
I have an ESS tune. Their customer service is pretty great, if you give them a call i'm sure that they would tell you why their tune is able to pass and others aren't
Will look into that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
I wasn't informed of what showed as not ready, and haven't had the chance to go through and look myself. In Maryland, one monitor is allowed to be not ready, so 2 or more must have been at fault in my case. Does each bank/set of O2 sensors register as individual monitors? Or is there something else at play as well?

Last edited by ScoopALoop; 03-14-2018 at 01:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
I'd be willing to bet MD is the same as VA.

In VA officially NO emissions equipment can be tampered with. So secondary cats must be there.

Although the inspector just has to visually see a catalytic convertor. He/she is most likely not going to look up in the reference manual for every cat present. Obdii monitors all ready except one for 01 and up.

I know Deq in VA can see data other than what most of us can see with a scsnrool. Whether or not they DECIDE to pursue you with your flashed ECU is up to them.

I can tell you that I am hesitant to mod my car in VA except for my catback.

The random emissions surveying in the area would prompt you for an Obdii test AND dyno as well for our M3s.

IMHO, the little gain in power with a tune and x pipe isn't worth it , at least in my state.
The random on/off ramp emission sniffers kill me. Have to avoid them like the plauge.
      03-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donadio91 View Post
Will look into that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
I wasn't informed of what showed as not ready, and haven't had the chance to go through and look myself. In Maryland, one monitor is allowed to be not ready, so 2 or more must have been at fault in my case. Does each bank/set of O2 sensors register as individual monitors? Or is there something else at play as well?
O2 readiness will show as just one, not for each bank. From what I read on the forum, it looks like most tunes disables o2 diagnostics so it will never go ready. Some tunes have some work around to get it to go ready but it's not clear.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378137

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222200

my guess is your cat and O2 show not ready. you should be able to check this with your bpm software I think.

you should check with bpm to see what the best course of action is.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Please keep us updates. I don't think it is well known which tunes display "ready" or just run open loop and tell the vehicle to ignore certain monitors.
Appreciate 0